Author Topic: Trump to sign proclamation sending National Guard to the border immediately  (Read 1819 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump to sign proclamation sending National Guard to the border immediately

By Adam Shaw | Fox News

The Trump administration announced Wednesday that President Trump will sign a proclamation to send the National Guard to the border immediately.

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said at the White House press briefing that it would be done in conjunction with governors and that the administration hopes the deployment begins "immediately."

Trump had tweeted earlier Wednesday that he would “be taking strong action today” on the Mexico border, a day after he said that he wants to send the military to secure it until a wall is built.

more
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04/04/trump-to-sign-proclamation-sending-national-guard-to-border-immediately.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/migrant-caravan-abandons-plan-travel-us-border-doc-13p1ry3

Likely NOT coincidentally,

Migrant caravan abandons plan to travel to US border

A caravan of Central American migrants whose trek across Mexico infuriated President Donald Trump has decided not to travel to the US border, leaders said Tuesday.

"We will wrap up our work in Mexico City," said Irineo Mujica, the head of the migrant advocacy group People Without Borders (Pueblo sin Fronteras).

snip

aka winning
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/migrant-caravan-abandons-plan-travel-us-border-doc-13p1ry3

A caravan of Central American migrants whose trek across Mexico infuriated President Donald Trump has decided not to travel to the US border, leaders said Tuesday.

"We will wrap up our work in Mexico City," said Irineo Mujica, the head of the migrant advocacy group People Without Borders (Pueblo sin Fronteras).

snip

aka winning

No, unlikely a coincidence and very much likely they tested him and found some resistance.  I think Trump realizes that they handed him a golden opportunity; man the borders and order that a wall be built in the name of national security.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

No, unlikely a coincidence and very much likely they tested him and found some resistance.  I think Trump realizes that they handed him a golden opportunity; man the borders and order that a wall be built in the name of national security.

I wish he would have the Army Corps of Engineers oversee the installation of the wall that was selected from the prototypes. They should have the company that came up with the design install it. I don't think its going to happen though.

What we are seeing is us being played for fools. He signed the omnibus bill, which killed any hope for a wall. He had his great moment and failed us. All we can hope for now is good foreign policy and strong trade policy.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online libertybele

I wish he would have the Army Corps of Engineers oversee the installation of the wall that was selected from the prototypes. They should have the company that came up with the design install it. I don't think its going to happen though.

What we are seeing is us being played for fools. He signed the omnibus bill, which killed any hope for a wall. He had his great moment and failed us. All we can hope for now is good foreign policy and strong trade policy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the wall to built, all I'm saying is this is his golden opportunity.  Whether he takes it or not remains to be seen.  As far as $$ for the wall; there is money sitting in the discretionary budget for homeland security.

He's got the money.  He's just go to have the chutzpah to build it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the wall to built, all I'm saying is this is his golden opportunity.  Whether he takes it or not remains to be seen.  As far as $$ for the wall; there is money sitting in the discretionary budget for homeland security.

He doesn’t have chutzpah to do it.  Homeland Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was asked this question today at the briefing.  She said the president will build barriers on the border where the military installations are in its proximity.  However, that’s silly, because military installations already have barriers, regardless of their locations.  The question and answer is around the 17:40 mark.

! No longer available
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline bilo

It really comes down to that.

As bold and brash as he is I don't think he has that in him. He's pulled back at the last moment in every fight so far. He could have shut down the govt and kept it shut down until he won but he didn't. He could have gone toe to toe with the Pub party on killing obamacare but he didn't. He could have said no to the omnibus bill but he didn't. He had multiple opportunities to demand his agenda be enacted but he didn't. Instead he delegated to others that didn't have his best interests at heart ie., Ryan & McConnell.

He may still be pretty good with foreign policy and trade, but domestic policy is not going to happen.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

snip

aka winning

Somehow deploying the National Guard to the border indefinitely doesn't sound like winning to me.  To me winning would be increasing the funding for ICE and having the ability to end catch and release, because there is enough detention space and enough immigration judges to expedite illegals back home within the 21 day legal limit for the release of mothers and children.

Increased border funding should have been in the last two budget negotiations.  It is arguable that Illegal Immigration was the ultimate political factor that propelled Trump into the Presidency.  But nobody fought for border funding...so it looks like we will get treated to a costly, but camera friendly, show of Trump's effectiveness and military muscle. 

Magnificent

Offline Applewood

I understand that the National Guard is only there to conduct aerial surveillance and observation.  They are not at the border to engage in enforcement. 

So why are they being deployed if they aren't there to enforce the laws?

Sounds to me like this deployment is for show -- to make it look like Trump is doing something. 

Offline Concerned

It’s really unclear what the mission of the National Guardsmen is.  They can’t arrest illegal border crossers and according to DHS Secretary Nielsen a big part of the problem is the increase in asylum seekers (who are typically released from detention while they await a court hearing).  That sounds like a huge problem to me that all the National Guardsmen in the world isn’t going to fix:

“But Nielsen left unclear what the National Guard would be able to do to help that situation, which she blamed primarily on people who claim a "credible fear" of persecution in their home countries and ask for asylum in the U.S. In many such cases, asylum seekers cross the border, quickly surrender to the Border Patrol and ask for refuge in the U.S.

Under U.S. law, people who have an asylum claim must be given a hearing, and in many cases are released until their court date. Families with minor children cannot be held in detention for more than 20 days under certain circumstances. Government figures show that a large majority of those who are released do show up for their hearings.

<snip>

Before 2013 about 1% of border crossers claimed asylum; now about 10% do, Nielsen said, suggesting that much of the increase involved false claims.

People "know that if they use the magic words, 'credible fear' … they will be released, with work permits, into the interior for many years before they see a judge," she said.”

I think there needs to be a legislative solution to this problem:  faster hearings along with the ability to detail until the hearings.  There’s currently a backlog of 600K cases, which is triple the number of asylum hearing cases in 2009.  It sounds like to me that folks are “gaming” the system (as Jeff Sessions said last year).

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-trump-national-guard-border-20180404-story.html
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

I think there needs to be a legislative solution to this problem:  faster hearings along with the ability to detail until the hearings.  There’s currently a backlog of 600K cases, which is triple the number of asylum hearing cases in 2009.  It sounds like to me that folks are “gaming” the system (as Jeff Sessions said last year).

They actually do have the ability to detain.  This problem is why Jennings v Rodriguez was brought before SCOTUS.  Nielsen is a lawyer and she knows better.  You’d think, since Gorsuch was among the five ruling for it, the admin would be crowing about his appointment.  However, this decision undercuts their ability to whine they can’t do anything because of catch and release.  It’s a lie.

The decision of Jennings v. Rodriguez affects illegal and legal immigrants. Legal permanent residents facing deportation as a result of committing crimes and asylum seekers who have turned themselves in at the border and are awaiting a court date can be detained indefinitely with no interval bond hearings.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/supreme-court-rules-immigrants-can-be-held-indefinitely-with-no-bond-hearings/article/2650154

Offline Concerned

They actually do have the ability to detain.  This problem is why Jennings v Rodriguez was brought before SCOTUS.  Nielsen is a lawyer and she knows better.  You’d think, since Gorsuch was among the five ruling for it, the admin would be crowing about his appointment.  However, this decision undercuts their ability to whine they can’t do anything because of catch and release.  It’s a lie.

The decision of Jennings v. Rodriguez affects illegal and legal immigrants. Legal permanent residents facing deportation as a result of committing crimes and asylum seekers who have turned themselves in at the border and are awaiting a court date can be detained indefinitely with no interval bond hearings.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/supreme-court-rules-immigrants-can-be-held-indefinitely-with-no-bond-hearings/article/2650154

Thanks for correcting that @edpc Yes, as an attorney, Nielson almost certainly knows this.  I fell into the trap of actually believing what the Trump Administration said.  I should know better by now.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

Thanks for correcting that @edpc Yes, as an attorney, Nielson almost certainly knows this.  I fell into the trap of actually believing what the Trump Administration said.  I should know better by now.

They have the authority to do this, but would likely be hesitant to fully enforce it because of the inevitable criticism.  There would be wall to wall MSM coverage with accusations of racism, children in detention centers, families being separated, etc, etc....

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Ehhhhh... wouldn't it just be better to beef up the border patrol's numbers and funding? What are NG troops going to do?

Offline edpc

Ehhhhh... wouldn't it just be better to beef up the border patrol's numbers and funding? What are NG troops going to do?

Of course, but Trump's fallback position and answer to everything is to say.....

Military!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Not much because apparently they have been neutered.  Won't be armed.  So they are as effective as the U.N and its peace keeping missions unarmed Observers.

http://start.att.net/player/article/newsy_now-mexican_government_says_us_national_guard_at_borde-newsy/category/news

So if some drug smugglers, coyotes or ME extremists heavily armed come their way they can't defend themselves.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:34:36 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.