Author Topic: McConnell: Midterms could be 'a Category 3, 4 or 5' storm for GOP  (Read 1518 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell: Midterms could be 'a Category 3, 4 or 5' storm for GOP
By Morgan Gstalter - 04/04/18 03:07 PM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says that November's midterm elections will be "challenging" for Republicans, but he can't yet predict the strength of the headwinds.

“This is going to be a challenging election year,” McConnell said in a Tuesday interview with Kentucky Today. “We know the wind is going to be in our face. We don’t know whether it’s going to be a Category 3, 4 or 5.”

McConnell said he’s optimistic his party can hold on to a majority in the Senate but the fight for the House, where every seat is up for election this year, will be more daunting.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/381653-mcconnell-predicts-gop-facing-a-storm-during-midterms
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: McConnell: Midterms could be 'a Category 3, 4 or 5' storm for GOP
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:26:42 pm »
All I see are a bunch of worthless GOPers like McTurtle and Walker warning voters about this upcoming disaster. I don't see any of them executing any sort of plan to stop it. I personally don't feel super motivated to reelect any of these slugs, especially if they can't even set in motion a plan to slow their demise.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 08:34:41 pm »
All I see are a bunch of worthless GOPers like McTurtle and Walker warning voters about this upcoming disaster. I don't see any of them executing any sort of plan to stop it. I personally don't feel super motivated to reelect any of these slugs, especially if they can't even set in motion a plan to slow their demise.

I personally will vote to re-elect only one person to any federal office this year.  His name is Ted Cruz.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:38 pm »
I personally will vote to re-elect only one person to any federal office this year.  His name is Ted Cruz.

Now you've gone and done it. You said Ted's name. Tommy is going to show up now and go off on how Cruz was responsible for the US ending Bretton Wood.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:07:19 pm »
If I lived in the great state of Texas, I would gladly vote for Cruz, in a heartbeat.

He is a "real deal" conservative. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 09:08:20 pm »
That's what happens when you don't stand for anything.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 09:08:58 pm »
If I lived in the great state of Texas, I would gladly vote for Cruz, in a heartbeat.

He is a "real deal" conservative.

Pshaw! As if anyone in their right mind would vote for Beto.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 10:28:47 pm »
Pshaw! As if anyone in their right mind would vote for Beto.

A white guy named Beto and a hispanic named Ted.  All we need now is a third party black candidate named Asia.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 10:45:03 pm »
Turtle has 9 out of 33 seats to defend.  If he can't pick up seats in that environment, he needs to get out of the so-called leadership of the Senate.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 12:20:49 am »
All I see are a bunch of worthless GOPers like McTurtle and Walker warning voters about this upcoming disaster. I don't see any of them executing any sort of plan to stop it.

Why would they stop it?  They ORCHESTRATED it.

As if it was by design - giving us the middle finger after lying to our faces for 8 years about what they were going to do to stop the Obama agenda and repeal O'Care "root and branch".

Now they own it, and they fought hard for the rights while discarding their base because 'they have nowhere else to go'.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 12:50:04 am »

I couldn't agree more.  I don't feel motivated to reelect the worthless GOPers either.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 12:54:09 am »
Screw you McConnell. You got a pile of cash and less than a dozen seats to defend. Are you kidding me?
The Republic is lost.

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 12:57:25 am »
Turtle has 9 out of 33 seats to defend.  If he can't pick up seats in that environment, he needs to get out of the so-called leadership of the Senate.

I think the Pubs will pick up seats in the Senate, just not as many as they should have and in 2020 when they have to defend more they will lose the gains from 2018.

It's the House that could be lost. Why should conservatives come out in big numbers? Obamacare is not gone, it's just dormant for now. Immigration hasn't been fixed. The wall isn't being built. The spending is out of control. The good things I've seen are not what people crawl over broken glass to go to the polls for; tax cuts, conservative judges, sound foreign policy don't get voters excited.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 01:18:00 am »
I think the Pubs will pick up seats in the Senate, just not as many as they should have and in 2020 when they have to defend more they will lose the gains from 2018.

It's the House that could be lost. Why should conservatives come out in big numbers? Obamacare is not gone, it's just dormant for now. Immigration hasn't been fixed. The wall isn't being built. The spending is out of control. The good things I've seen are not what people crawl over broken glass to go to the polls for; tax cuts, conservative judges, sound foreign policy don't get voters excited.

Turtle would call grabbing a single seat a "victory" and continue to hang on like a parasite.  If he actually loses enough seats to lose the Senate, he will pull a Pelosi and stay on as Minority Leader.  He probably has enough pantywaist Republican Senators to keep him in the job.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 01:29:16 am »
Turtle would call grabbing a single seat a "victory" and continue to hang on like a parasite.  If he actually loses enough seats to lose the Senate, he will pull a Pelosi and stay on as Minority Leader.  He probably has enough pantywaist Republican Senators to keep him in the job.

I think you're right. He is a fair representation of the majority of Pubs in the legislative branch.

They had a historic opportunity with majorities in the House, Senate and control of the executive. Yet they couldn't stand together and push through the policies they ran on. Instead, they caved to the left and denied their President the key items he ran on. It's real sad to see this great opportunity lost, but that's what happened.

I know I won't be voting for a Pub again, unless I'm convinced they are life long conservative and will stay that way.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 01:34:50 am »
I'm with @INVAR on this:  They didn't just fumble the ball, they picked it up and ran for the wrong end zone.  It's easier.  With the signing of the porkulus bill, I'm inclined to believe the Preezy just did the same thing to us.
I will NOT comply.

Offline bilo

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 01:51:11 am »
I'm with @INVAR on this:  They didn't just fumble the ball, they picked it up and ran for the wrong end zone.  It's easier. With the signing of the porkulus bill, I'm inclined to believe the Preezy just did the same thing to us.

I've gone from "not Trump", to "hey he's doing some good stuff", to "yeah I'm definitely voting for him next time", to "I suppose he might be better than a Rat on foreign policy".

The Pubs and Trump are only just starting to realize the omnibus bill was their "no new taxes" moment. They destroyed any opportunity they had to make a real change in the direction the country is going. Pres. Trump signed it so he sure isn't free from any guilt.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 01:00:03 pm »

They don't have the balls to defend vigorously those parts of the Trump agenda that are actually popular.  Trump's immigration stance is popular.  A wall of some kind is popular.  The tax cuts are popular.  Attacks on the media are generally popular as well.  But they don't have the balls to loudly support those things and put Democrats on the defensive because of Trump's personality.  As a result, they're surrendering the only wedge issues they have to appeal to swing voters, and are losing the Trump's base of support as well.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 05:11:23 pm »
Screw you McConnell. You got a pile of cash and less than a dozen seats to defend. Are you kidding me?

I actually think that like the Bob Michael in the House during the Reagan years...McConnell would prefer to be the minority leader in the Senate.

He's certainly shown he doesn't know what to do when he's given the majority.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 05:19:03 pm »
I'm with @INVAR on this: They didn't just fumble the ball, they picked it up and ran for the wrong end zone.  It's easier.  With the signing of the porkulus bill, I'm inclined to believe the Preezy just did the same thing to us.

Only difference is that Congress and The President won't feel half as bad about this latest porkulus bill and it's ramifications as Jim Marshall did when he scored for the other team.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 05:32:58 pm »
The GOP likes to score "own goals".....

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 05:49:06 pm »
They don't have the balls to defend vigorously those parts of the Trump agenda that are actually popular.  Trump's immigration stance is popular.  A wall of some kind is popular.  The tax cuts are popular.  Attacks on the media are generally popular as well.  But they don't have the balls to loudly support those things and put Democrats on the defensive because of Trump's personality.  As a result, they're surrendering the only wedge issues they have to appeal to swing voters, and are losing the Trump's base of support as well.

Critics of the president loved to point to his low approval ratings (especially back when it was at 36%). But, those same media critics unerringly failed to mention that at the same time, the congress’s approval ratings were at a dismal 18%!

And just when you thought they couldn’t get any lower, Congress just sank to a 10% approval rating in a new Quinnipiac University poll released on Thursday, with roughly five in six Americans saying they disapprove of the job congress is doing. This compares to an 18% approval rating in March.

Perspective is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 06:22:14 pm »
And just when you thought they couldn’t get any lower, Congress just sank to a 10% approval rating in a new Quinnipiac University poll released on Thursday, with roughly five in six Americans saying they disapprove of the job congress is doing. This compares to an 18% approval rating in March.

Perspective is the beginning of wisdom.

The Republican Party and it's leadership doesn't care.  They gave Conservatives the big finger on myriad occasions and publicly showcased their contempt. 

They do not care what their approval ratings are - they worked hard to achieve their basement-level ratings.   It's time for them to tag-out with the Democrats and let them take over while they go sit on the sidelines and shout.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Idiot

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 08:20:52 pm »
:amen:

Offline Idiot

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 08:23:07 pm »
The repubs will lose both the house and the senate and Trump will be impeached.  It's a done deal.....