Author Topic: China Retaliates, Slaps Duties On U.S. Soybeans, Planes; Markets Skid  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: China Retaliates, Slaps Duties On U.S. Soybeans, Planes; Markets Skid
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 07:42:59 pm »
Brazil grabs bigger share of China soybean imports from U.S. in January - customs

BEIJING (Reuters) - China’s imports of soybeans from the United States in January fell 14 percent from the same month a year ago, customs data showed, as Brazil grabbed a larger slice of the world’s biggest market for the oilseed with higher-protein beans.

According to customs data released on Saturday, China imported 5.82 million tonnes of soybeans from the United States in January, equal to 67 percent of all imports. Last year, U.S. beans accounted for 88.5 percent of the January total.

The drop underlines concerns about a slide in U.S. sales to the world’s top soybean buyer because of declining protein levels in U.S. soybeans, allowing Brazil to lure customers with its own higher-protein crop. 

It also comes amid a growing trade spat between the United States and China, the world’s top two economies, after Washington slapped tariffs on imports of solar panels and washing machines earlier this year.   .  .  .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-trade-grains/brazil-grabs-bigger-share-of-china-soybean-imports-from-u-s-in-january-customs-idUSKCN1G80A4

Imagine that.  There is another country out there who is perfectly willing to replace US soybean imports.  Go figure.

It takes a special kind of idiot to support something as stupid as this.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 01:12:18 am »

‘Even shooting wars end with negotiations’ - Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:09:06 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 01:45:13 am »
NAFTA represents the beginning of unfair trade practices

What is unfair about NAFTA?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 02:03:10 am »
When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in on December 7, 1941 how many of those guys who made money selling scrap metal to Japan regretted it? I think most did.

China has a totalitarian govt with a President who is elected for life. They steal from us. They lie to us. They look at us as their principal enemy. Right now it's not a shooting war. The tools they use are economic. They lure key businesses into their country and own a controlling interest in them. They will not allow foreign investment in their key industries. In the face of this tariffs are a great response.

At some point we need to take a hit financially and dramatically cut back on the business we do with China. We should be looking to expand our business relationships to the south.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 02:16:34 am »
The German's Bombed Pearl Harbor.   And it wasn't over.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 02:24:41 am »
Germans?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 03:46:56 am »
Why the soybean could be China’s trump card in the trade war

China just made an incredibly controversial move with one the world’s more important traded goods: soybeans.

In response to the U.S.’s list of 1,300 Chinese products that would be subject to tariffs, the largest soybean importer in the world announced a proposed 25% tariff on U.S. soybeans on Thursday. This has raised alarms among U.S. farmers.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/soybean-chinas-trump-card-trade-war-173132128.html

Can't find a link at the moment, but I remember reading today that no country But us has the capacity to supply China's need for soybeans.

So they slap a 25% tariff on the only source that CAN supply them.

:rolling:
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:09 am »
When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in on December 7, 1941 how many of those guys who made money selling scrap metal to Japan regretted it? I think most did.

China has a totalitarian govt with a President who is elected for life. They steal from us. They lie to us. They look at us as their principal enemy. Right now it's not a shooting war. The tools they use are economic. They lure key businesses into their country and own a controlling interest in them. They will not allow foreign investment in their key industries. In the face of this tariffs are a great response.

At some point we need to take a hit financially and dramatically cut back on the business we do with China. We should be looking to expand our business relationships to the south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_warfare

It's so convenient to forget that we've been at war with China since the 1st Korean war: over 65 years ago.

We forget it. China doesn't.

Their official pronouncements about Industrial and High Tech espionage are bellicose and condescending, taking the position that since we won't outright Give them what we develop (and they Can't), We're the bad guys because of Their Incompetence.

And a drop in the Stock Market has people screaming "See, We Told You Tariffs Were An Idiot Idea!"

Then the market returns and the same crowd yawns and says it was coming back anyway.

If people need a guaranteed return on their money put it in a bank at a tiny percentage of a percent.

If you want Banks that will pay you anything you have to S##t-Can the Feral Reserve.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com