Author Topic: FIRE lawsuit against Iowa State University administrators ends with nearly $1 million in damages and  (Read 896 times)

rangerrebew

FIRE lawsuit against Iowa State University administrators ends with nearly $1 million in damages and fees

By Marieke Tuthill Beck-Coon March 23, 2018

After nearly four years and a trip to and from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, Gerlich v. Leath — FIRE’s Stand Up For Speech Litigation Project lawsuit against Iowa State University administrators — came to an end this week with an order entering judgment for the plaintiffs and awarding them nearly $600,000 in attorney’s fees and costs. Adding to amounts previously awarded or settled on in the course of litigation, Iowa State University defendants are responsible for nearly $1 million in damages and attorney’s fees for the case.

https://www.thefire.org/fire-lawsuit-against-iowa-state-university-administrators-ends-with-nearly-1-million-in-damages-and-fees/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
$800K in attorney's fees? Cui bono?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
$800K in attorney's fees? Cui bono?

The second oldest profession has its privileges.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

FIRE has supported many conservatives being harassed by colleges and universities.

I, personally, am very grateful to The Rutherford Institute for their support back when I was under charges by my university.  It's rough being a student trying to stand up for rights against a university trying to impose politically correct orthodoxy.  These groups are invaluable for helping the fight.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
FIRE has supported many conservatives being harassed by colleges and universities.

I, personally, am very grateful to The Rutherford Institute for their support back when I was under charges by my university.  It's rough being a student trying to stand up for rights against a university trying to impose politically correct orthodoxy.  These groups are invaluable for helping the fight.

@Suppressed, could you tell us more about your case?   If it's not too personal.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Suppressed

@Suppressed, could you tell us more about your case?   If it's not too personal.

@LauraTXNM

I marked up a bulletin board that had been listed as open for comment, and the university "charged" me with a number of offenses, including "destruction of property", "disturbing the peace", etc.  (I'd pointed out logical fallacies and inaccuracies on a liberal poster on the board.)  They -- Soviet-style -- insisted on me declaring my guilt and giving a public apology.  They threatened to report me to my department, and as a grad student on assistantship, this was a pretty serious thing.  Fortunately, someone suggested I contact The Rutherford Institute, and they told me that this was a very common tactic used on campuses across the country, that they hear lots of these Stalinist tactics used by liberals, and that the best thing for me to do was not to let them scare me into a false confession. 

Sure enough, one by one, they'd agree to drop a charge, if only I'd ___<insert concession here>___.  I stuck to my guns, and finally got them to back down, in part because I had a witness supporting me against their lies.

The funny thing is, their PC assault failed -- the guy who'd witnessed this was a strident centrist, sure that the claims about Political Correctness and liberalism were overblown.  But he got to witness first-hand how evil these people are, and he was no longer middle-of-the-road.   ^-^ And as for me, it drove me to take a position at a newspaper that focused on free speech, which led to me later starting another newspaper dedicated to honest reporting and free speech.  Still, it hurt my academic career, having to fight that and being on pins and needles while they roasted me.

This was decades ago.  And it's far worse now.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@Suppressed  I'm sorry that happened to you!  Yes, I can imagine that causing you serious problems as a grad student.  Do you still work in journalism?

I guess I got lucky; I went to one of the very liberal women's colleges, but they dealt with dissension very differently.  Justice Scalia's daughter was there, and she was very vocally pro-life.  There were a lot of shouting matches ;), but no one would have tried to shut down her speech.  There was a controversy when one student hung a Confederate flag in her room where it was visible from outside.  That caused a lot of discussion, but everyone was happy enough when she decided to hang it on the opposite wall.  Then again, we had a strong tradition of student self-government and didn't rely on the administration to handle these issues.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.