Author Topic: I Refuse to Lose My Mind Over the Omnibus Fiasco, and So Should You Kurt Schlichter  (Read 3919 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I Refuse to Lose My Mind Over the Omnibus Fiasco, and So Should You
Kurt Schlichter
3/26/2018 12:01:00 AM -

Remember the Kobayashi Maru scene in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan? Sometimes, you end up with no good options. Donald Trump just had that happen to him with the omnibus abomination, though don’t be fooled by the passive voice – he deserves some blame for letting it come to this. The absolutely essential military spending was wrapped in a fat suit of glistening, rancid pork, and the congressional rats had already abandoned ship and fled out of town when it was dumped on his desk. So he had a stark choice. Trump could sign it, and enrage his base but ensure our military could prepare for the wars looming on the horizon. Or he could veto it, and launch a government shutdown with about 0% of succeeding in getting a significantly better deal.

Trump chose the least worst of two bad options, and I, for one, refuse to lose my Schiff over it.

This was a last minute congressional jam-down of a swamp-generated monstrosity, and Trump deserves a slice of the blame for not seeing it coming. He evidently failed to ensure that his priorities and preferences were included as this sausage was being made, and suddenly the whole thing dropped on him (and us) seemingly out of nowhere and became a thing overnight. Except it wasn’t overnight. This train had been coming down the tracks for three months; the Congressional weasels succeeded in sneaking it in right before they ditched town. Trump is liable for letting himself be put in that position, but the GOP leadership is responsible for putting him there.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/03/26/i-refuse-to-lose-my-mind-over-the-omnibus-fiasco-and-so-should-you-n2464585
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The Orange runs deep in that boy
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes, Kurt "Orangeman" Schlichter.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So many sycophants, so little time for honesty.

Obama has his, so it is only fitting that Trump has his own 'he-can-do-no-wrong-it's-not-his-fault' worshipping hordes of sycophants.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:04:35 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline endicom

Schlichter is right in saying there were no good choices. A veto would have been just a delay and a follow-up bill might have been made worse, just for spite.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The Orange runs deep in that boy

If Trump tripped over a trip wire that triggered a war, his faction would claim vertigo.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

So many sycophants, so little time for honesty.

Obama has his, so it is only fitting that Trump has his own 'he-can-do-no-wrong-it's-not-his-fault' worshipping hordes of sycophants.

We are a tribal species by nature. And  to some, political parties have become their tribe, and candidates they support have become the chiefs of their tribe. These tribes and leaders must be defended against all enemies which means the opposing party. I have relatives that were quiet on everything Obama did as president yet are screaming over some of the things that Trump does,  mainly deficits and debt. When it’s pointed out to them their hypocrisy, they try to explain how it’s “different”
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:45:10 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Schlichter is right in saying there were no good choices. A veto would have been just a delay and a follow-up bill might have been made worse, just for spite.

So what happened to this supposed 'great deal-maker', 'outsider' and 'only person who could get Congress to work for the American people for a change' all y'all insisted was the reason we all had to vote for Trump, or else?

Looks to me like you just admitted that was all bullshit, because Trump wasn't going to be able to do any of those things you people said he was going to do, by the mere virtue of his presence in the white house and the strength of his breath.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline endicom

So what happened to this supposed 'great deal-maker', 'outsider' and 'only person who could get Congress to work for the American people for a change' all y'all insisted was the reason we all had to vote for Trump, or else?

Looks to me like you just admitted that was all bullshit, because Trump wasn't going to be able to do any of those things you people said he was going to do, by the mere virtue of his presence in the white house and the strength of his breath.

You loaded that like Congress loads pork to bills. Your rant is all bullshit.

Stick to the issue.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Dunno about good, but a better choice would have been to send the bill back to Congress and tell them what needed to happen for him to sign it.  They might have overcome the veto, but it would have meant the whole abomination would be on them, and it would have made it clear what the president expects of them and, maybe most importantly, that he will fight and not give in and whine and sign.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dunno about good, but a better choice would have been to send the bill back to Congress and tell them what needed to happen for him to sign it.  They might have overcome the veto, but it would have meant the whole abomination would be on them, and it would have made it clear what the president expects of them and, maybe most importantly, that he will fight and not give in and whine and sign.

Exactly...good post
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Yes, one of my friends squawked about this omnibus, he's also one of the first to complain about America's military needing to be modernized and powerful.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

You loaded that like Congress loads pork to bills. Your rant is all bullshit.

Stick to the issue.

Excuse you, but it was INSISTED upon by the supporters for Trump - that he was going to negotiate great deals, stop Congress from ripping us off and to drain the swamp.

That fiasco he signed Friday simply provides more of the SAME EXACT BULLSHIT that Trump's acolytes promised us he was going to stop - merely by his skills and magnificence as a business leader. 

We already know that the Republican and Democrats in Congress loaded up the bill to spend us into further oblivion to strengthen and enlarge the Obama Leftist Agenda which is now permanent.  That Trump signed into 'law' that monstrosity, that was crafted in secret and voted on without anyone having time to read and digest it,  was something Trumps fans insisted would not happen with Trump - is exactly the issue.

Schlicker offers that Trump took the 'lesser evil option' and that he was not going to lose his mind over the fact that Trump just betrayed his supporters over another key campaign promise.  To insist as Schlicker does that the GOP leadership is to blame for putting Trump in the position to sign it - is absurd on it's face.  Trump put himself in that position.  He obviously cannot handle the affairs in his own party - and yet we continue to be told he can manage the affairs of a country in chaos.

Someone that supposedly can make superhuman and divine 'deals' and get his way with the 'Art of the Deal' - should be blameless because it is the GOP leadership that dumped a Democrat Trillions of dollars Spendaholic Bill in his lap at the last moment and put Trump in that 'bad position'? 

If Trump was this great deal-maker, how did he let himself get put into that position to begin with?  Was he too busy playing golf?  Too busy tweeting?  Is he even involved with this Presidency at all outside of having his staff figure how to run his office? 

If perception is reality - either Trump is governing as the NYC Leftist Democrat we said he was - or he is totally absent from the job outside of creating chaos and controversy.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The absolutely essential military spending was wrapped in a fat suit of glistening, rancid pork, and the congressional rats had already abandoned ship and fled out of town when it was dumped on his desk. So he had a stark choice. Trump could sign it, and enrage his base but ensure our military could prepare for the wars looming on the horizon. Or he could veto it, and launch a government shutdown with about 0% of succeeding in getting a significantly better deal.

Trump chose the least worst of two bad options, and I, for one, refuse to lose my Schiff over it.

Trump is, shockingly, the most responsible actor in this whole fiasco.   For once,  he chose not to sow additional chaos, for the sake of our fighting men.   

The system needs fixing; these omnibus bills are tar babies for pork and cronyism.   But that doesn't mean that Trump failed to make the right call.   He stuck his neck out politically for a cause greater than himself.   I applaud him for it.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

The military expenditure is $615 billion, $650 billion, something like this, so that is already about half of the $1.3 trillion if my math is correct. Sure, I don't approve of this bill, unfortunately, sometimes deal-making needs to be done.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Trump is, shockingly, the most responsible actor in this whole fiasco.   For once,  he chose not to sow additional chaos, for the sake of our fighting men.   

The system needs fixing; these omnibus bills are tar babies for pork and cronyism.   But that doesn't mean that Trump failed to make the right call.   He stuck his neck out politically for a cause greater than himself.   I applaud him for it.   

888high58888
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline WingNot

Oh Please.  Tell me those are the pain killers talking!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

No, that's just the disease of a cult of personality or a Liberal Communist mindset talking.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The military expenditure is $615 billion, $650 billion, something like this, so that is already about half of the $1.3 trillion if my math is correct. Sure, I don't approve of this bill, unfortunately, sometimes deal-making needs to be done.

Trump ALREADY SIGNED TWO 700 Billion Dollar-PLUS budget spending bills for the military on February 9th.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Nope, I'm mostly off the painkillers now.  Just tottering around in a leg brace.  I'm even back at work!   :cool:
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

How much does it cost a day or the whole Iraq conflict since 2003? Oh well, I don't think some people will mention that. The truth is, I'm not one of them, there are taxpayers who will say, "well, why should I pay for that?" or the number of bases the US has around the world, if one really wants to cut back.  How much do those cost?

Offline WingNot

Nope, I'm mostly off the painkillers now.  Just tottering around in a leg brace.  I'm even back at work!   :cool:

@Jazzhead   Nice.   :beer:    BTW...
How long till you are back to whatever us 60+ year olds call 100%.   I'm only asking for a friend who is waiting patiently  for your full recovery.  :smokin:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Interesting framing element the author uses- usually a tactic of the left.

Those who object to the spending bill or are angry at trump have 'lost their minds' while he frames himself as the rational one. He doesn't acknowledge the sincere position of those who are angry, instead, he paints them as irrational.

Alinsky tactics again being used by our (sic) side.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Remember, Kurt Schlichter got paid for this column.

He's not trying to make a valid point. What he's really doing is trolling for eyeballs and ad revenue. So, for that, the more obnoxious and obstinate he can be, the better.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Remember, Kurt Schlichter got paid for this column.

He's not trying to make a valid point. What he's really doing is trolling for eyeballs and ad revenue. So, for that, the more obnoxious and obstinate he can be, the better.

Yes, your cynicism is probably justified in this case.  :laugh: