Author Topic: Repealing the 2nd Amendment Won’t Make Gun Bans Any Easier  (Read 614 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If you strip away legal protections for rights valued by millions of Americans, you’re just going to make them angry to no good end.

J.D. Tuccille | October 10, 2017

It's always been true, as gun restrictionists have repeatedly promised, that "nobody's going to take your guns away." But few gun owners have ever believed that was from lack of intent; it was always from the absence of any practical way of implementing such a taking. That's become increasingly clear in the wake of the truly horrific Mandalay Bay massacre as open calls for repealing the Second Amendment's protection for self-defense, and even for banning privately owned guns, get louder.

And still, the increasingly open prohibitionists haven't come up with a proposal to make their plans stick.

Perhaps most prominent is Bret Stephens, a conservative columnist at the New York Times. He pointed to Stephen Paddock's rampage in Las Vegas, as well as some alleged correlations between firearms ownership and homicide (contradicted by other research), dismissed most gun control efforts as "feckless," and called on America to "Repeal the Second Amendment" or else "Expansive interpretations of the right to bear arms will be the law of the land—until the 'right' itself ceases to be."

And what's the point of stripping way part of the Bill of Rights if you're not going to then pass restrictive laws previously barred by the deleted provision? Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) makes no secret of her long-time desire to outlaw anything made of metal with a hole in it. Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) sees every intrusive law as only "a first step on gun control." Progressive documentary filmmaker Michael Moore wants to repeal the Second Amendment, and won't rest until "All automatic and semi-automatic guns are banned" and "guns must be stored at a licensed gun club or government-regulated gun storage facility." The New Yorker's Adam Gopnik wants "no truce with the Second Amendment." And the New Republic's Phoebe Maltz Bovy says "It's Time to Ban Guns. Yes, All of Them."—in a demand originally published in 2015, but reissued by her publication last week. Taking the anti-gun crusade right up to 11, hereditary celebrity Nancy Sinatra thinks "the murderous members of the NRA should face a firing squad."

Well, that should certainly convince gun owners of the desirability of compromise and of surrendering their property.

https://reason.com/archives/2017/10/10/repealing-the-2nd-amendment-wont-make-gu
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Repealing the 2nd Amendment Won’t Make Gun Bans Any Easier
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:32:25 am »
And now six months later the wailing of the gun grabbing banshee's are getting loader.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."