Author Topic: Trump Defends $1.3T Spending Plan, Points To Military Gains  (Read 1484 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump Defends $1.3T Spending Plan, Points To Military Gains
« on: March 25, 2018, 12:47:27 pm »
PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump on Sunday defended his decision to sign a $1.3 trillion federal spending bill despite his misgivings, pointing to billions in new funding for the military and national security.

Trump said on Twitter from his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida that because of the military funding, "many jobs are created and our Military is again rich." He said building his signature border wall "is all about National Defense."

Since grudgingly signing the bill on Friday after threatening a veto, Trump has faced fierce criticism from conservatives who have accused him of caving to congressional Democrats. The president said Friday at the White House he was "very disappointed" in the package, in part because it didn't fully pay for his border wall. But Trump said he had "no choice" because the nation needed to fund the military.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-defends-1-3t-spending-plan-points-military-111623062--politics.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Trump Defends $1.3T Spending Plan, Points To Military Gains
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 12:51:15 pm »
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Because of the $700 & $716 Billion Dollars gotten to rebuild our Military, many jobs are created and our Military is again rich. Building a great Border Wall, with drugs (poison) and enemy combatants pouring into our Country, is all about National Defense. Build WALL through M!

5:33 AM · Mar 25, 2018

Here we go again....another public trial balloon, cryptically stating an action that won't be carried out in the end.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 01:02:26 pm »
A much better approach would be to simply admit he screwed up. Trying to sell this abomination
will only further enrage conservatives.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 01:09:46 pm »
 So he supports it, then hints he may veto it, then signs it but claims he’ll never sign another one like that again, and now he’s out defend it. I wonder what it will be tomorrow?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:11:11 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 01:23:28 pm »
So he supports it, then hints he may veto it, then signs it but claims he’ll never sign another one like that again, and now he’s out defend it. I wonder what it will be tomorrow?

Bizarre to say the least. He's just digging the hole deeper. He knows he just lost the majority of
his supporters and now he is going to be impeached by a Rat controlled House. Without his
supporters to hold the line Mueller is now free to investigate whatever he wants to investigate.
Trump has isolated himself and he got no one to blame but himself. Monday is going to be hell
for Trump when Laura Ingraham, Rush and Hannity take to the air ways. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 01:30:00 pm »
Bizarre to say the least. He's just digging the hole deeper. He knows he just lost the majority of
his supporters and now he is going to be impeached by a Rat controlled House. Without his
supporters to hold the line Mueller is now free to investigate whatever he wants to investigate.
Trump has isolated himself and he got no one to blame but himself. Monday is going to be hell
for Trump when Laura Ingraham, Rush and Hannity take to the air ways.

He did the right thing.   He may have "lost the majority of his supporters" and "face impeachment" for doing the right thing,  but the needs of our fighting men take priority.

He has gained the support of folks like me.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 04:07:06 pm »
PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump on Sunday defended his decision to sign a $1.3 trillion federal spending bill despite his misgivings, pointing to billions in new funding for the military and national security.

Trump said on Twitter from his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida that because of the military funding, "many jobs are created and our Military is again rich." He said building his signature border wall "is all about National Defense."

Since grudgingly signing the bill on Friday after threatening a veto, Trump has faced fierce criticism from conservatives who have accused him of caving to congressional Democrats. The president said Friday at the White House he was "very disappointed" in the package, in part because it didn't fully pay for his border wall. But Trump said he had "no choice" because the nation needed to fund the military.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-defends-1-3t-spending-plan-points-military-111623062--politics.html

Trump said on Twitter from his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida that because of the military funding, "many jobs are created and our Military is again rich."

:3:

Ahem, but how many is "many"? What a specious comment.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 04:08:29 pm »
He did the right thing.   He may have "lost the majority of his supporters" and "face impeachment" for doing the right thing,  but the needs of our fighting men take priority.

He had you at "hello".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 04:15:18 pm »
:3:

Ahem, but how many is "many"? What a specious comment.

It’s not possible to quantify immediately, but he’s not wrong.  The 90 F-35s ordered from Lockheed Martin alone will create jobs with the manufacturer and subcontractors.  The problem with that is you end up in a place Eisenhower warned us about at the end of his term.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 04:16:23 pm »

It’s not possible to quantify immediately, but he’s not wrong.  The 90 F-35s ordered from Lockheed Martin alone will create jobs with the manufacturer and subcontractors.  The problem with that is you end up in a place Eisenhower warned us about at the end of his term.

And how many jobs will be ended, or never created, because of the negative economic effects of the deficits? 

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 04:24:47 pm »
And how many jobs will be ended, or never created, because of the negative economic effects of the deficits?

I don’t know, but they seem to be based in the sad concept requiring perpetual threats and conflict to justify their continuing existence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 04:36:28 pm »
He had you at "hello".

The precise moment you threw him away.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 04:53:44 pm »
The precise moment you threw him away.

Weak sauce, RiV.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 04:57:21 pm »

From another thread

The problem I have with the military excuse for signing a horrible progressive dream spending bill
is that Trump campaigned on being a non-interventionist. So I thought rather then get us into
new conflicts he was going to get us out of conflicts like Syria. Silly me fooled again.

I'm thinking that if we were not involved in just about every conflict on the planet maybe out
armed forces could get by on 5 or 6 hundred billion dollars a year. If I am not mistaken we
already spend more than any other nation by far on our military. I would prefer to bring the
boys and girls home and mind our own business. I am tried to being the worlds police man.
How about a little America First for a change? Well that in not likely now that the neocon
John Bolten has the presidents ear.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 05:01:10 pm »
Piss on him.  Let him explain away why he is just another lying big spending Democrat.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline jpsb

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 05:02:28 pm »

Well surprise, surprise, I finally agree with you. Debt, at this point 21T and counting, is a far greater
threat then ISIS, IRAN or NK. Soon we will be so broke we will no be able to defend ourselves and
likely not be able to feed ourselves either. The holders of our debt will be our masters.

Offline edpc

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 05:19:18 pm »
Well surprise, surprise, I finally agree with you. Debt, at this point 21T and counting, is a far greater threat then ISIS, IRAN or NK. Soon we will be so broke we will no be able to defend ourselves and likely not be able to feed ourselves either. The holders of our debt will be our masters.

According to Trump, the holders of the debt will be The Treasury, after we hold fire sales on land and resources, then either default or just print more money to buy back the rest.

Govt auction....

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/donald-trump-s-unusual-plan-lower-national-debt-sell-government-n549946

Default strategy....

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/05/trump-national-debt/

Monetize the debt....

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/politics/donald-trump-national-debt-strategy/index.html

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:21:02 pm by edpc »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 05:35:16 pm »
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Because of the $700 & $716 Billion Dollars gotten to rebuild our Military, many jobs are created and our Military is again rich. Building a great Border Wall, with drugs (poison) and enemy combatants pouring into our Country, is all about National Defense. Build WALL through M!

5:33 AM · Mar 25, 2018

Here we go again....another public trial balloon, cryptically stating an action that won't be carried out in the end.

How clever the lie Trump hands us in his tweet that the 700b and 716b was in this Omnibus bill he signed Friday.

Bullshit!  The truth is that he ALREADY SIGNED FOR THOSE SPENDING INCREASES ON FEBRUARY 9th!

Trump signed a 700 BILLION DOLLAR Military Budget into law on February 9th, the largest budget they have ever received

The budget bill that President Donald Trump signed [February 9th] includes huge spending increases for the military: The Pentagon will get $94 billion more this budget year than last -- a 15.5 percent jump. It's the biggest year-over-year windfall since the budget soared by 26.6 percent, from $345 billion in 2002 to $437 billion the year after, when the nation was fighting in Afghanistan, invading Iraq and expanding national defense after the 9/11 attacks.

The enormous increases in defense spending agreed to by lawmakers on Friday go beyond what Trump ask for.

The deal Congress approved early Friday also sets the Pentagon's 2019 budget at $716 billion, giving Mattis the financial stability he's been demanding.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 05:36:28 pm »
Well surprise, surprise, I finally agree with you. Debt, at this point 21T and counting, is a far greater
threat then ISIS, IRAN or NK. Soon we will be so broke we will no be able to defend ourselves and
likely not be able to feed ourselves either. The holders of our debt will be our masters.

Yep. We better pray there's no inflation or that China doesn't become the dominant currency, or anything else that causes interest rates to rise. Not only will interest costs eat up all our tax revenue, but how long are people, especially foreigners, going to hold our bonds when they are losing value every day, either from a sagging currency or rising rates, or both?
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »
How clever the lie Trump hands us in his tweet that the 700b and 716b was in this Omnibus bill he signed Friday.

Bullshit!  The truth is that he ALREADY SIGNED FOR THOSE SPENDING INCREASES ON FEBRUARY 9th!

Yes, the omnibus (meaning containing several items)  bill just combines the previous spending with newer things we didn't want over a slightly longer period of time.  The idea this will be a hoodwink strategy to fund the wall through defense spending as national security is a masturbatory fantasy.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 05:46:23 pm »

Of course he won't sign another one like it because the next one he signs will be an even larger budget.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 07:12:02 pm »
Hooray! The government should spend even more money and put us even more in debt to create more jobs.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 07:25:35 pm »
Hooray! The government should spend even more money and put us even more in debt to create more jobs.

Yes, apparently that now IS the 'Conservative' position.

More and bigger government, debt and expansion of debt will create more jobs.

Nancy Pelosi has done a terrific job of brainwashing Republicans into adopting her political views as their own.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775