Author Topic: H.R.5087 - Assault Weapons Ban of 2018  (Read 883 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
H.R.5087 - Assault Weapons Ban of 2018
« on: March 24, 2018, 05:34:29 pm »
Not sure if anyone here has posted on this yet, but the effort has been mounted.

A BILL
To regulate the importation, manufacture, possession, sale or transfer of assault weapons, and for other purposes.

“(30) The term ‘semiautomatic pistol’ means any repeating pistol that—

“(A) utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round; and

“(B) requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

“(H) All of the following rifles, copies, duplicates, variants, or altered facsimiles with the capability of any such weapon thereof:

“(i) All AK types, including the following:

“(ii) All AR types, including the following:

SEC. 3. RESTRICTIONS ON ASSAULT WEAPONS AND LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES.

“(v) (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a semiautomatic assault weapon.

Given the capitulation of the Republicans and Trump to these same vermin - it bears watching.

However, even if they pass this gun ban (including the POSSESSION OF A SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARM) into "law" - we will ignore it and refuse to comply.

Then they can be stupid enough to attempt to confiscate, and the watering of the tree of liberty will commence.

H. R. 5087

To regulate the importation, manufacture, possession, sale or transfer of assault weapons, and for other purposes.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline RoosGirl

Re: H.R.5087 - Assault Weapons Ban of 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:39:05 pm »
@INVAR You're a meanie who just doesn't care about children.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 05:42:14 pm »

Tell him sister.   He hates on the little chillins.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 05:42:43 pm »
I'd say so what, except that Hoyer is listed on the bill.  If the House flips in November, he's got a chance at becoming Speaker.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5087/text
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 05:44:11 pm »

Yeah, and my wife wore the hot coffee thrown in her face by a bussed-in anti-gun activist who shouted the same exact thing to her at the 'hearing' in our little Chicago Suburb that went on to ban the possession of firearms in the village some 23 years ago.

We we did not comply then.  We will not comply now or in the future.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 05:44:26 pm »
@INVAR

I admire your ability to multi-task and post while sandbagging your house.   

:laugh:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:44:53 pm by edpc »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 05:58:52 pm »
@INVAR

A man's got to do what he has to do to be free.

I have also installed the DePelter Turbo Pro in the lawn should the gestapo agents for the state want to come to play.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:00:09 pm by INVAR »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 06:08:59 pm »
I don't really believe for a moment that this piece of insanity has any chance of becoming law, but if I ever think it does, I will immediately buy at least one more.

As well as a lot more ammo.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 06:15:50 pm »
I don't really believe for a moment that this piece of insanity has any chance of becoming law, but if I ever think it does, I will immediately buy at least one more.

It could definitely get through the House, if it flips.  You heard what Trump said about 51 in the Senate at the spending bill presser.  This is the kind of thing where you want the 60 vote cloture rule.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »

It could definitely get through the House, if it flips.  You heard what Trump said about 51 in the Senate at the spending bill presser.  This is the kind of thing where you want the 60 vote cloture rule.

Yup.  Trump just proved he's perfectly happy to take a majority-Democrat law and sign it, while less than half of the GOP votes for it.  IMO, nothing is assured anymore, we have to fight every piece of legislation like it's from the Dems.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 08:29:07 pm »
@INVAR

:laugh:

It's not like he's actually using a shovel and filling the bags in between TBR postings.  He drove down to the Home depot and picked up a few a mexicans to do the work for him.  The bilingual Juan is posting for him now.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:29:39 pm by Wingnut »

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 08:31:54 pm »
It's not like he's actually using a shovel and filling the bags in between TBR postings.  He drove down to the Home depot and picked up a few a mexicans to do the work for him.  The bilingual Juan is posting for him now.

Oh, just because that's how you do it...... :cool:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:32:52 pm by edpc »

Offline WingNot

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 08:37:23 pm »

Oh, just because that's how you do it...... :cool:

Don't ef with the Jesus.   22222frying pan

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 11:18:40 pm »
(C) Any part, combination of parts, component, device,
        attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to
        accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but not
        convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun.

Does that mean Coffee is illegal? I know I can twitch my trigger finger faster after a couple cups of Java.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 03:13:17 am »
Sooner or later, the issue is going to have to go before the Supreme Court:

Does the Second Amendment include the right of citizens to possess semi-automatic weapons with magazine loading?

Does the Second Amendment preclude the several states from prohibiting ownership of such weapons by the citizens?

Until these matters are settled there, watch for more state efforts to ban ALL semiautomatic weapons. Long guns, pistols... ALL of them.