Author Topic: 'He fell a hero:" French praise policeman in hostage swap  (Read 917 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
'He fell a hero:" French praise policeman in hostage swap
« on: March 24, 2018, 04:42:04 pm »
http://centurylink.net/news/read/article/the_associated_press-french_hero_officer_who_swapped_himself_for_hostag-ap/category/news

TREBES, France (AP) — A French police officer who offered himself up to an Islamic extremist gunman in exchange for a hostage has died, raising the death toll in the attack in southern France to four. He was honored Saturday as a national hero of "exceptional courage and selflessness."

Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame, 44, was among the first officers to respond to the attack Friday on the supermarket in the French town of Trebes.

Beltrame, who joined the elite police special forces in 2003 and served in Iraq in 2005, had organized a training session in the Aude region in December for just such a hostage situation. At the time, he armed his officers with paintball guns, according to the Depeche du Midi newspaper.

"We want to be as close to real conditions as possible," he said then.

But when he went inside the supermarket Friday, he gave up his own weapon and volunteered himself in exchange for a female hostage.

Unbeknownst to the Morocco-born hostage-taker, he left his cellphone on so police outside could hear what was happening in the store. They stormed the building when they heard gunshots, officials said. Beltrame was fatally wounded.

Investigators quickly searched the home of the attacker, Redouane Lakdim, 25, and found what a judicial official said were notes "that alluded to the Islamic State and appeared like a last testament." They also found a computer and telephone that will be examined for information. The official wasn't authorized to speak publicly amid an investigation.

Investigators also found three homemade explosive devices, a handgun and a hunting knife inside the supermarket, the official said. The weapons suggested his intent to do further damage.

Two people were detained for alleged links to a terrorist enterprise, one woman close to Lakdim and a 17-year-old male friend of his, Paris prosecutor's office said.

In addition to the four people killed by the gunman in his rampage Friday, the attacker was killed by police. Fifteen others were injured.

"Arnaud Beltrame died in the service of the nation to which he had already given so much," French President Emmanuel Macron said. "In giving his life to end the deadly plan of a jihadi terrorist, he fell as a hero."

French police and soldiers have been a prime target of attacks by extremists, ........

Continued at link
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: 'He fell a hero:" French praise policeman in hostage swap
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 04:43:04 pm »
Sooner or later the French are going to be fed  up with this stuff,and on the day that happens,Muslims in France are going to pay a terrible,but well-deserved, price.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:43:28 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »
Pete wrote:
"Sooner or later the French are going to be fed  up with this stuff,and on the day that happens,Muslims in France are going to pay a terrible,but well-deserved, price."

I can only hope for the same thing as you, but I'm less optimistic.

Just wonderin'... have you read "Submission", by Michel Houellebecq?
Very interesting novel about "what the French might do".

I also recommend Matt Bracken's most recent book, "The Red Cliffs of Zerhoun".

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:41:03 pm »
Pete wrote:
"Sooner or later the French are going to be fed  up with this stuff,and on the day that happens,Muslims in France are going to pay a terrible,but well-deserved, price."

I can only hope for the same thing as you, but I'm less optimistic.

I've had that on my reading list, your recommendation is moving it to the purchase list.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 04:06:24 am »
Pete wrote:

@Fishrrman

No,but I just bought it from amazon,and will be reading it when it comes in.

Matt and I are friends from the old FR days. I used to pre-read his books before publishing,but somehow or another we lost contact. Now that I know he has a new book out,I will be reading it,too.

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 05:09:43 am »
He should receive the highest honors possible. He earned them. He was the exact opposite of the officer that hid outside while the Florida kid killed students unopposed.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 10:41:22 am »
I read elsewhere that this hero was married to his fiancé before he died.  I don't cry easily, but that story made me blubber. 

Rest in peace, Sir!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:46:11 am »

Mass for French officer whose sacrifice ‘saved the nation'

TREBES, France (AP) — A French bishop has paid tribute to a heroic police officer who lost his life after swapping himself with a supermarket employee in a hostage situation, saying his sacrifice helped save the nation.

Survivors and families of the victims of Friday’s Islamic extremist attack packed the Saint-Etienne-de-Trebes church for Sunday’s special Mass honoring Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame and the three others killed in the attack.

Members of the region’s Muslim community were among those mourning at the special Palm Sunday service. The manager of the supermarket sat in the front row, alongside her husband, the town mayor.  ... More from Associated Press
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:07:14 pm »

Members of the region’s Muslim community were among those mourning at the special Palm Sunday service.

@mountaineer

They were there for political protection,not to mourn the deaths of infidels Muslims are mice until they outnumber you by 10 to 1. Then they become merciless warrirors.