Author Topic: Utah boy who has Down syndrome loses merit badges and his shot at becoming an Eagle Scout because of  (Read 429 times)

Offline Suppressed

Utah boy who has Down syndrome loses merit badges and his shot at becoming an Eagle Scout because of discriminatory policies, lawsuit says
By Paighten Harkins
Published: 5 hours ago  Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/03/17/utah-boy-who-has-down-syndrome-loses-merit-badges-and-his-shot-at-becoming-an-eagle-scout-because-of-discriminatory-policies-lawsuit-says/

(Chris Detrick | The Salt Lake Tribune) Chad Blythe and his son Logan, 15, embrace during an interview at VF Law in Salt Lake City, Friday, March 16, 2018.

[...]

Logan, 15, has Down syndrome, but local Scout officials assured his parents over the years that despite his limited verbal skills and other developmental delays, he’d be able to progress in the Scouts just like any other member; his scoutmasters would modify badge requirements so Logan could meet them, said Logan’s father, Chad Blythe.

[...]

Everything seemed fine as the family prepared Logan’s Eagle Scout project and submitted it to Utah National Parks Council, Utah’s chartered Boy Scouts of America partner. Local officials approved the project on Nov. 9, and the family went home happy, Chad Blythe said.

[...]

After local officials heard from the national group (which approves all Eagle Scout projects), Logan’s project was suspended and the national group effectively voided every merit badge he earned since graduating from the Cub Scouts to the Boy Scouts — because Logan didn’t follow the merit badge requirements exactly as written to earn the badges, Chad Blythe said.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Sounds like National did the right thing.

I'm often asked to do presentations to scouting groups, to help them earn badges.  I try to give the information required for the badges, but I see many groups handing out badges (and belt loops, etc.) without the actual requirements being met.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If he was Transgender he would be okay. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."