Author Topic: National School Walkout: Thousands Of Students Rallying In Solidarity To End Gun Violence  (Read 1948 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Let this sink in.
Odds are 11 of these teens will be dead before the day is through.....from Texting and driving. 11 teens killed every day by that device in their hip pocket.

The odds of them being killed in a mass shooting in a life time, 1 in 614 million.

That phone is millions of times more likely to lead to their death or the death of others. Yet it’s guns that make them frighten of school.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:13:34 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline skeeter

I just tweeted this:

So on #nationalwalkoutday we're supposed to listen to the wisdom of 18 y/o anti-gun kids - whom we're also supposed to believe are too immature to be trusted to purchase one?

Professor Jordan Peterson, a critic of activism among the young, tries to give his political activist students perspective by reminding them that 6 years ago they were twelve.

Thats not gonna work anymore - today's activists are twelve.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:18:27 pm by skeeter »

Offline NavyCanDo

My son is in one of these HS.  He will not be participating.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Let this sink in.
Odds are 11 of these teens will be dead before the day is through.....from Texting and driving. 11 teens killed every day by that device in their hip pocket.

The odds of them being killed in a mass shooting in a life time, 1 in 614 million.

That phone is millions of times more likely to lead to their death or the death of others. Yet it’s guns that make them frighten of school.

@NavyCanDo I'm gonna borrow that for some of my Liberal FB friends if you don't mind.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

Well, my son won't be in school today........because it's Spring Break.

Offline SkyKing

National skip school day!!!  :amen:

I was suspended for 3 days in high school I thanked them for the break.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Just to clarify, most of these "walkouts" are staged by the schools. In many cases, no one actually walks off the campus
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Idiot

I'm ashamed to say that my niece was one of the kids who protested guns, when the school ALLOWED them to do so, in a high school not far from Austin, Tx.

There is something in the water in that area......

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I'm ashamed to say that my niece was one of the kids who protested guns, when the school ALLOWED them to do so, in a high school not far from Austin, Tx.

You seem to find that a lot around capitals and centers of government, in general.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mountaineer

My niece, too, in a Pittsburgh suburb. One of her friends had a sign "Protect Students Not Guns."
How, one might ask, are we to protect anyone if we don't have guns?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Ben Shapiro writes:
READ: Emails From High School Students Who Oppose Today's Massive Gun Control Walkout

It’s Walkout Day!

Today, all across the country, students will march out of their classrooms in order to . . . something. Presumably, they’re protesting violence with guns, which is somewhat like protesting violence with hands: both of those things are quite horrible, but unless you have some sort of solutions, you’re merely posturing.

Which is, of course, the point.

This walkout is all about posturing. It’s not about change any more than the Women’s March was about change.  ...

I’ve received dozens of letters from students expressing exactly this concern, and wondering why only one side of the political agenda is being handed credibility by the media.

Here are some of them:

From a high school junior today: “honestly it's like the Women's March. There is no single consolidated argument, just a loose collection of rants that obscure the main point).”

From a 16-year-old high school girl: “I was planning on not participating in the walkout. I do not see the point in leaving class to simply walk outside, stand and talk with peers for 17 minutes, and return to class. The act of walking out of class to 'protest school violence' does not seem to have a target audience, even though they may have a news crew, it is doubtful that the students in Florida will see the actions of our school’s walkout as a stand with solidarity. I also support the 2nd Amendment and see this walkout as another opportunity for students and their parents to attack that amendment and my support of gun control…I do see that my refusal to participate may be seen as unsympathetic or cruel. My brother, who is a freshman, is being pressured in class to participate.”  ...  More at Daily Wire.

Offline NavyCanDo

@NavyCanDo I'm gonna borrow that for some of my Liberal FB friends if you don't mind.

Heard it on Michael Medved yesterday.    Nobody has facts and data in his hip pocket like Medved.    Yes, use it.

Offline NavyCanDo

National skip school day!!!  :amen:

I was suspended for 3 days in high school I thanked them for the break.

I could have been called a professional skipper - if there was such a thing. A friend and I would skip class when we felt like it, but instead of leaving campus or going to the car to smoke - would head to the school tennis court and play a few games. The school security guard, a big black gentleman would often stop buy, sit on the bench and watch us play. Never knowing we were skipping class.  Maybe thinking we were on the school tennis team, practicing.   I Graduated early so I guess the missing classes really had no impact.

Then there was the time we brought beer into class on a day we were allowed to bring soft drinks. A six pack of brown Root Beer bottles hid the actual contents.         

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Thousands of students walk out of school in nationwide gun violence protest
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 09:26:41 pm »
Thousands of students walk out of school in nationwide gun violence protest
Washington Post, Mar 14, 2018, Joe Heim, Marissa J. Lang and Susan Svrluga

The nationally organized walkouts, which come 10 days before a march on Washington organized by Stoneman Douglas survivors that could draw hundreds of thousands of students to the nation’s capital, are unprecedented in recent American history. Supporters say the protests represent a realization of power and influence by young people raised on social media who have come of age in an era of never-ending wars, highly publicized mass shootings and virulent national politics.

Many of the participants said the focus on gun control was not an expression of party preference. What they are demanding from Republicans and Democrats alike is action on an issue they believe has been shuffled aside by lawmakers for too long. In an election year, with every member of the House and a third of the Senate running for office, the students are determined to make an impact.

“We want our Congress to know that some of us will be old enough to vote in the midterm elections, and the rest of us are going to be able to vote in 2020 or 2022, and they’re going to lose their job if they don’t do what we want to keep us safe,” said Fatima Younis, a student organizer with Women’s March Youth Empower, one of the lead coordinators of Wednesday’s walkouts. The group is demanding lawmakers increase the age for people to purchase weapons, ban assault-style weapons and demilitarize police forces.

At the Capitol, they met up with other protesting students and heard from lawmakers at an impromptu rally.  “I look at the crowd and I see the future, and I see you, and I came here to say thank you,” Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) said before leading the crowd in a “Si se puede” chant, the Spanish phrase for “Yes we can.” “Because I know you will accomplish what I and others have failed to do.”

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2018/03/14/students-have-just-had-enough-walkouts-planned-across-the-nation-one-month-after-florida-shooting/?utm_term=.02e29cf8947f

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:32:00 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
"National School Walkout: Thousands Of Students Rallying In Solidarity To End Gun Violence"

Back in the '60's didn't they do stuff like this to "end war"?
How did that work out?

BTTT

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
It's painfully obvious to me that the FBI purposely allowed the massacre in the Florida HS.

Obama's FBI.

Don't forget....Hillary was supposed to win.   Anybody doubt the 2nd Amendment is the target here?

What disturbs me even more?  They are going to keep these kids whipped up to a frenzy until 2020. 

Imagine an American where young students walk out of class, in mass, to demonstrate for taking our Rights away.

**nononono*
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
It's painfully obvious to me that the FBI purposely allowed the massacre in the Florida HS.

Obama's FBI.

Don't forget....Hillary was supposed to win.   Anybody doubt the 2nd Amendment is the target here?

What disturbs me even more?  They are going to keep these kids whipped up to a frenzy until 2020. 

Imagine an American where young students walk out of class, in mass, to demonstrate for taking our Rights away.

**nononono*

Kids love attention and they love an excuse to stay out of school.  This is media fueled and it's a dang shame.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
BTTT

Not one in a hundred of those kids knows anything about the second amendment.

Not one knows that the most gun violence in America is in cities that have the strictest gun laws.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Night Hides Not

Well, my son won't be in school today........because it's Spring Break.

Mine, too. Nothing for him to do, he's been bored. Wife's retiring soon, and doesn't want to take leave until then.

Not like he's deprived. He went with me to see Death Wish on Monday. I thought it was pretty good.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Not one in a hundred of those kids knows anything about the second amendment.

Not one knows that the most gun violence in America is in cities that have the strictest gun laws.

Yes. Those young people are utterly unprepared to even discuss Any of the Bill of Rights but the media makes them sympathetic little Rock Stars.

They have no idea what's at stake or the issues involved.

And for their counterproductive ignorance we can thank the public schools which just Got 17 of them murdered.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline NavyCanDo

If these kids protesting gun violence would vow also to say no to Hollywood movies that glorify gun violence as well as violent video game, then and only then can they convence me that they are sincere and secure in their beliefs.  But they won't give them up, nor do they want to.they are phonys.

Online mountaineer

This walkout reminded me of something. In 1969 or 1970, there was a nationwide protest dubbed a "moratorium" on the Vietnam War. Students wore black armbands to show their opposition to the war. In my mind, they were disrespectful to the troops who were stuck in the middle of it. So I got out some fabric and sewed a red, white and blue armband of my own, and wore it to high school (I was a freshman). Thankfully, kids were not quite so intolerant back then and nobody tried to beat me up over it.

Online mountaineer

... Millennials also ought to grapple with the fact that American “gun culture” — in the sense that everyone is walking around with a firearm or has one at home — is a myth. Just about 3 percent of the population owns half of the civilian guns in this country. That’s the lowest rate of gun ownership since the late 1970s. Indeed, three decades ago, half of all American households had a gun, while just around one-third did in 2010. Yet gun violence has become more and more of a problem, despite fewer and fewer people possessing firearms.

Even more worrying, student activists don’t get the moral dimension of the Second Amendment, a failure of education that will likely devastate our democracy.   ...
Dan Weber, "Millennials, Respect Your Elders — And Our Passion For The Second Amendment," posted at The Federalist.