Author Topic: National School Walkout: Thousands Of Students Rallying In Solidarity To End Gun Violence  (Read 1949 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Students across the country and around the globe are taking part in a National School Walkout today in a call on Congress to pass tighter gun control laws.

The ENOUGH National School Walkout will be held this morning -- exactly one month after the mass shooting at a Florida high school that killed 17 people and sent shock waves across the nation.

Over 3,100 walkout events were registered as of this morning, according to event organizers.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/students-across-country-around-world-part-national-school-080304432--abc-news-topstories.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:55:06 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

These kids should all be expelled, but nowadays, parents and schools encourage this horse manure.

Offline edpc

Online Polly Ticks

These kids should all be expelled, but nowadays, parents and schools encourage this horse manure.

I leveraged this 'event' with my kid.  Told him he could walk out and we'd go to the gun range if he pulled straight A's. 

I hope he is enjoying his classes today ...
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mountaineer

I'm sure my niece is now walking out at Penn Hills High School. Last week, the superintendent sent out this message. Apparently, she doesn't think conservative parents have any right to object to a local (Pittsburgh) leftwing blacktivist indoctrinate the children:
Statement from Superintendent
District News Logo
From Dr. ____...

I am hearing some rumblings about FaceBook postings that strongly suggest PHSD is pushing some sort of "black political agenda".  That suggestion in itself is offensive; however, please allow me to clarify and remind that the Wed, March 14, peace rally is being organized at PHHS to remember the victims of the recent Florida school shooting and also to challenge our students to get actively involved and help curb violence in our schools and community.

Yes, Tim Stevens and his group are helping to facilitate discussion after the kids come back inside, and, yes, the name of Tim's group is B-PEP-- Black Political Empowerment Project; HOWEVER, THIS COLLABORATION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS.  B-PEP is the only organized group that has reached out to us and offered to help PHHS students process what they're seeing in the media.

Students are being asked in advance of March 14 to select from a list of possible topics for discussion that include (but are not limited to):

1. Internet and Social Media
2. The Juvenile Justice System
3. Gun Violence Reduction
4. Mental Health Providers and University-Based Professionals
5. Violence Against Women and Girls
6. Workplace Violence Prevention
7. Service Organizations
8. Senior Citizen Crime Prevention
9. Street Level Outreach
10. Communities of Faith
11.  Education:  Primary and Secondary
12. Financial Literacy and Financial Management
13. Foundations/Charitable Trusts

As further evidence that this is NOT a politically motivated event, please allow me to share add'l language from written B-PEP literature:  "Violence is a major public health issue affecting mental, physical, emotional, financial and spiritual health.  Education, awareness and prevention efforts are key components to reducing the prevalence of violence and its devastating impact on society.  Everyone, but especially the youth, must understand the high cost of violence, such as death, disability, incarceration, family disruption, community fear and distrust of youth, and its impact on the entire community.  They must also respect the rights of others to earn respect.  The youth themselves are speaking out and saying 'Be the change you want to see in the world.  Become a leader in changing the culture of violence.'"

I apologize for the obvious tone in this statement, but this whole thing is so disappointing.  Would some of our more conservative community members prefer that we ignore what our kids are thinking and feeling right now as they watch student demonstrations across the US and/or even plan some type of rebellious act to include a walk-out, protest or other??? I guess I had more faith in our community.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

The media is trying hard to convince everyone that the adults in these kids' lives have absolutely nothing to do with their protest.

Videos of fourth graders parading around the classroom with poster-painted signs decrying gun violence and demanding political satisfaction while the teacher being interviewed speaks admiringly of their 'passion' as if she were just an impartial observer is hilarious.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
If I was a HS teacher...I'd have held a test this morning that counted for 50% of the students grade for the semester with no make up date.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

If I was a HS teacher...I'd have held a test this morning that counted for 50% of the students grade for the semester with no make up date.

To top it off, make it a test on the 2nd Amendment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:15:05 pm by edpc »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
We're supposed to treat these kids walking out as serious minded adults...and at the same time the Government wants to tell them at 18 they aren't "adult" enough to buy a gun.

Oh the irony.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

To top it off, make it a test on the 2nd Amendment.

Yup I could cover that in History as well as English class.

Online mountaineer

Quoting a poster at a Facebook group of which I'm a member:
On today's planned school walkouts...

This may be a misdirection play to divert attention from the fact that Obama's national "promise" program has made schools a helluva lot more dangerous.
... and rather than placing blame where it should be, the high level libs in The NEA/AFT are redirecting the focus on the second amendment to avoid the blame for the unintended consequences of this large scale liberal school/crime policy.
• The students are being told it's about "safety"
• The left is using it as a pretext to attack 2A and to divert attention from the specific failure of the Promise initiative that made schools significantly more dangerous.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Quoting a poster at a Facebook group of which I'm a member:

@mountaineer that's especially true in the Louisville schools just up the road.  I'd live in constant fear if my kids attended school in Jefferson County.  I'd be willing to bet half those kids walking out in Louisville are gang bangers or have quick access to an illegal firearm not far from the school.

Offline thackney

We're supposed to treat these kids walking out as serious minded adults...and at the same time the Government wants to tell them at 18 they aren't "adult" enough to buy a gun.

Oh the irony.

Exactly.  We are supposed to value their judgement on gun policy, while claiming they are too immature to have judgement on using a gun.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Exactly.  We are supposed to value their judgement on gun policy, while claiming they are too immature to have judgement on using a gun.

Gotta love Liberal "logic".

Offline Frank Cannon

Wow. Kids found an excuse to skip out on school. Just shocking.

Offline thackney

Most the schools in our area are on Spring Break this week.  I don't think too many are going to walk-out on their vacation.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Polly Ticks

@mountaineer that's especially true in the Louisville schools just up the road.  I'd live in constant fear if my kids attended school in Jefferson County.  I'd be willing to bet half those kids walking out in Louisville are gang bangers or have quick access to an illegal firearm not far from the school.

I have three kids currently attending JCPS.  It's a concern.

On the bright side, if the gang bangers and crazy liberal-indoctrinated kids are all walking out today it's probably a pretty safe day for my boys.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:27:15 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I have three kids currently attending JCPS.  It's a concern.

On the bright side, if the gang bangers and crazy liberal-indoctrinated kids are all walking out today it's probably a pretty safe day for my boys.

@Polly Ticks hi neighbor!

Online Polly Ticks

Online mountaineer

FB post from a gun shop in Morgantown, WV:
Second Amendment Sports & Defense LLC
14 mins ·

As we watch events unfold related to today's National Student Walkout in support of Gun Control, we can't help but pose these questions: How many of these students play video games that award points for maiming and killing with virtual firearms? How many of these students pay money to see Hollywood Films that glorify Gun Violence? How many of these students have eaten a Tide Pod? While you contemplate these questions, ask yourself also who is organizing all of this and what is their agenda? Hint: it is not actually these kids, and it has nothing to do with School Safety. If it did, their signs might actually read, "Provide our schools with the same security that you do for sporting events, city council meetings, and concerts."

Offline dfwgator

National Expel Day.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
What we need here is an empty gesture. A good optic for our narrative. Something that will draw money.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

What we need here is an empty gesture. A good optic for our narrative. Something that will draw money.

I wasn't sure I'd ever see something more ridiculous and futile than Hands Across America in my lifetime.  The walkouts and planned marches proved me wrong.

Online mountaineer

Oh the irony.
I just tweeted this:

So on #nationalwalkoutday we're supposed to listen to the wisdom of 18 y/o anti-gun kids - whom we're also supposed to believe are too immature to be trusted to purchase one?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I just tweeted this:

So on #nationalwalkoutday we're supposed to listen to the wisdom of 18 y/o anti-gun kids - whom we're also supposed to believe are too immature to be trusted to purchase one?

That is awesome!   888high58888