Author Topic: GOP Senator Long Critical Of Yemen War Now Helping Trump Block Debate On It  (Read 388 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
GOP Senator Long Critical Of Yemen War Now Helping Trump Block Debate On It
By Akbar Shahid Ahmed
POLITICS

03/09/2018 10:05 am ET Updated 1 day ago

Sen. Todd Young (R-Ind.) and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) crafted an alternative bill they call pragmatic. Peace groups believe it threatens confrontation with Iran.

WASHINGTON ― Sen. Todd Young (R-Ind.) spent much of 2017 urging greater accountability for the American role in the civil war in Yemen ― presenting himself as one of few GOP critics of the Trump administration’s policies and aligning with prominent critics of U.S.-backed Saudi-United Arab Emirates operations in Yemen, like Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) and a bevy of national security experts on the left and right.

Now he is trying to undercut the clearest shot war skeptics have of forcing the U.S. to change course.

Young and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) on Thursday quietly filed new legislation, first reported by HuffPost, in response to a bill unveiled last week by Murphy and Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah). The Sanders-Lee-Murphy bill would force a Senate vote on whether to end U.S. support for the Saudi-UAE coalition fighting Iran-backed rebels in Yemen. It’s unprecedented by design, guaranteed to come to the floor because it invokes the War Powers Resolution and the Arms Export Control Act; it invites Congress to flex its foreign policy muscles in a way it hasn’t in decades.

Continued at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gop-senator-once-critical-of-yemen-war-helps-trump-push-against-senate-debating-it_us_5aa1f48ce4b07047bec4cf97

Complex but a bit interesting.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Definitely!  Thanks for sharing so many interesting international news stories.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.