Author Topic: Cycling keeps your immune system young, study finds  (Read 568 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Cycling keeps your immune system young, study finds
« on: March 09, 2018, 03:47:04 pm »
Cycling keeps your immune system young, study finds

The sport also preserves muscle and helps maintains stable levels of body fat and cholesterol

Staff and agencies

Thu 8 Mar 2018 11.01 EST
Last modified on Fri 9 Mar 2018 09.37 EST

Cycling can hold back the effects of ageing and rejuvenate the immune system, a study has found.

Scientists carried out tests on 125 amateur cyclists aged 55 to 79 and compared them with healthy adults from a wide age group who did not exercise regularly.

The findings, outlined in two papers in the journal Aging Cell, showed that the cyclists preserved muscle mass and strength with age while maintaining stable levels of body fat and cholesterol. In men, testosterone levels remained high.

Read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/08/cycling-keeps-your-immune-system-young-study-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining
Fergus Walsh Medical correspondent @BBCFergusWalsh on Twitter

8 March 2018

(see picture at link)
Image caption Professor Norman Lazarus, aged 82, has the immune system of a 20 year old

Doing lots of exercise in older age can prevent the immune system from declining and protect people against infections, scientists say.

They followed 125 long-distance cyclists, some now in their 80s, and found they had the immune systems of 20-year-olds.

Prof Norman Lazarus, 82, of King's College London, who took part in and co-authored the research, said: "If exercise was a pill, everyone would be taking it.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Cycling keeps your immune system young, study finds
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:51:25 pm »
I'm still studying these articles, upon reading it, it almost appears to be saying, not just any exercise but cycling is what is of great benefit uniquely.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:19:31 pm »
Covert Bailey, "Fit or Fat."

Kenneth Cooper, "Aerobics."

Both emphasize good diet, and aerobic exercise. Cycling is a good option. Same for running, swimming, walking, cross-country skiing.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline anubias

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:52:00 pm »
I'm still studying these articles, upon reading it, it almost appears to be saying, not just any exercise but cycling is what is of great benefit uniquely.

For myself, I have found cycling to be by far the best exercise.  It is the only form of exercise that actually reversed my metabolism back to where it was when I was a youngster.  The change was near instantaneous (within a few weeks) for me.

For anyone struggling with a sluggish metabolism after a certain age, I highly recommend getting on a real bike and riding it daily.