Author Topic: Beards are sexier when they're uncommon, study shows  (Read 453 times)

Offline Suppressed

Beards are sexier when they're uncommon, study shows
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:45:24 pm »
Beards are sexier when they're uncommon, study shows
Evolutionary forces may affect trendiness of beards, study suggests
Australian Broadcasting Corporation Posted: Apr 16, 2014 12:46 PM ET Last Updated: Apr 16, 2014 6:08 PM ET
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/beards-are-sexier-when-they-re-uncommon-study-shows-1.2612259

Beards are considered more attractive when they are rare, but as they become more common they will be considered less attractive, new research suggests.

The findings suggest evolutionary forces could be playing a role in the rise and fall of beards and other facial hair patterns on men, according to the study published today in the Royal Society journal Biology Letters.

"In a world full of bearded men, beards are less sexy than they are in a world full of clean-shaven men," says evolutionary biologist Rob Brooks of the University of New South Wales.

[...]

The paper:
Negative frequency-dependent preferences and variation in male facial hair
Zinnia J. Janif, Robert C. Brooks, Barnaby J. Dixson
Published 16 April 2014. DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2013.0958

Abstract

Negative frequency-dependent sexual selection maintains striking polymorphisms in secondary sexual traits in several animal species. Here, we test whether frequency of beardedness modulates perceived attractiveness of men's facial hair, a secondary sexual trait subject to considerable cultural variation. We first showed participants a suite of faces, within which we manipulated the frequency of beard thicknesses and then measured preferences for four standard levels of beardedness. Women and men judged heavy stubble and full beards more attractive when presented in treatments where beards were rare than when they were common, with intermediate preferences when intermediate frequencies of beardedness were presented. Likewise, clean-shaven faces were least attractive when clean-shaven faces were most common and more attractive when rare. This pattern in preferences is consistent with negative frequency-dependent selection.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Beards are sexier when they're uncommon, study shows
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:48:16 pm »
"Hipsters" have ruined the beard wearing experience.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 06:51:25 pm »
More detail is needed to the description:

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 08:27:23 pm »
"Hipsters" have ruined the beard wearing experience.

You, sir, are quite correct in that.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:44:48 pm »
You, sir, are quite correct in that.

Common ground!   :beer:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 07:53:06 am »
+++++++++