Author Topic: Forget Gun Control: Bring Back Mental Hospitals  (Read 478 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Forget Gun Control: Bring Back Mental Hospitals
« on: March 03, 2018, 04:17:29 pm »
Forget Gun Control: Bring Back Mental Hospitals
American Greatness, Mar 1, 2018, Joseph Scalia

After another inexplicable act of violence in Parkland Florida claimed 17 lives, the usual chorus (and some of the not so usual chorus) is screaming for gun control. We don’t need gun control; we need nut control.

Many purportedly smart people run around decrying inanimate objects for causing death and mayhem. Our streets, schools, workplaces have become killing grounds because any lunatic can get his hands on a gun (or guns) and carry out a massacre. But a closer inspection of the headlines reveals a myriad of machete attacks, people pushed into oncoming subway cars, a man holed up in a bunker, and ex-cop on a bloody rampage—and who can forget the bath salts man who cannibalized a man on the streets of Miami? And so it goes with each bizarre and horrible story replaced by the next stupefying act of insanity.

Why is this happening? Guns? We’ve had guns for centuries.  The real and ignored reason is a policy called “deinstitutionalization,” which is a fancy way of saying “let’s close the mental hospitals to save money.”

Closing the mental hospitals was a particularly cruel idea. The notion that people with raging mental illnesses could be medicated and set loose upon the streets and in our communities is insane in its own right. This is an arrangement from which no one benefits. How does such a thing happen?  It is simple. The fiscal “conservatives” of that day saw a way to cut the expenses of operating large mental institutions. They made common cause with the Left of that time because they believed in that nonsensical notion of people having a “right” to wander the streets and sleep in their own feces. It’s a political partnership made in hell.

Read more: https://amgreatness.com/2018/03/01/forget-gun-control-bring-back-mental-hospitals/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Forget Gun Control: Bring Back Mental Hospitals
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 04:59:15 pm »
Timeline of Mental health institutions in the USA

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/timeline-mental-health-america/

Analysis by states

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/map-states-cut-treatment-for-mentally-ill/

"Approximately 10 percent of US homicides are committed by untreated severely mentally ill people.

Chances that a perpetrator of a mass shooting displayed signs of mental illness prior to the crime: 1 in 2"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 05:10:50 pm »
Are there people that should be removed from every day society? Absolutely. However, it’s very dangerous to give authorities too much broad power in these matters. Nobody wants to be the next Christine Collins.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 05:11:09 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:32:12 pm »
I've been making the same argument here with very little success. Seems people would rather
risk "comprehensive gun control" then do the common sense thing and put the crazies in a
home for crazies.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:23:58 pm by jpsb »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:00:38 pm »
A distant relative of mine was confined to a mental institution many years ago.  I didn't know this relative -- she passed on when I was just a kid -- but my mother told me some horror stories about the institution where this woman was confined.  Back in those days, many of those institutions were the very definition of "snake pit."  I'm glad those places are gone, but instead of improving facilities for the mentally ill, it seems the powers that be decided it would be cheaper -- and "more humane" -- to just unleash the mentally ill onto the community. 

They have also made it extremely difficult to compel a person to get help even when it is obvious the individual needs help.  No one wants to have someone confined just on the word of a greedy relative eager to steal from a person's estate, but if a person is a danger to himself and society, it should not be a major production to remove that person from society for his good and the good of others.

I would like to see improvements in the treatment of the mentally ill beyond drugs which can have unpleasant side effects and may not work, and traditional psychiatry which may or may not help.  For all the research that has been done, we still know appallingly little about mental illness.  This isn't good for the rest of us.