Author Topic: Oakland mayor who tipped off immigrants to ICE raid draws Justice Department scrutiny  (Read 434 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The Justice Department is reviewing the actions of Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf after she publicly tipped off the immigrant community about an ICE enforcement operation, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Thursday.

Schaaf warned the community of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement operation Saturday, less than 24 hours before ICE began arresting dozens of suspected undocumented immigrants across Northern California. ICE netted a total of 232 suspected undocumented immigrants, 115 of whom had prior felonies or “significant or multiple misdemeanors” on their records. But Thomas D. Homan, ICE deputy director, said that possibly hundreds more “illegal aliens … were able to elude us thanks to the mayor’s irresponsible decision.”

Critics have said that Schaaf’s decision to warn immigrants of the raid amounted to obstruction of justice, something she has adamantly denied. Schaaf has defended her actions as legal by saying she did not obtain the information through official government channels — but through “multiple credible sources” — and because she did not reveal specific details about the operation.

On Thursday, Sanders said she believed Schaaf endangered ICE agents by tipping off the community, a belief shared by Homan.

“I think it’s outrageous that a mayor would circumvent federal authorities and certainly put them in danger by making a move such as that,” Sanders said. “And that’s currently under review by the Department of Justice.”

Lock her up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/02/justice-department-reviewing-actions-of-oakland-mayor-who-tipped-off-immigrants-of-ice-raid-white-house-says/
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

ICE netted a total of 232 suspected undocumented immigrants, 115 of whom had prior felonies or “significant or multiple misdemeanors” on their records.

ICE apprehended 117 people with no criminal records at their jobs.  I feel safer.

232 down in 4 days. 19,999,768 to go.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
ICE apprehended 117 people with no criminal records at their jobs.  I feel safer.

Just think how many more bad ones they would have snagged had this traitorous witch not tipped off her constituency of voters..
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"Lock her up."

Lessee...Leftist, check.  Dem, check.  Female, check.  Politician, check.

Nope.  She's as safe from Justice as a baby in her mother's arms.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Just think how many more bad ones they would have snagged had this traitorous witch not tipped off her constituency of voters..
They're all bad, but some are just more conscientious about their work attendance while they collect welfare and steal our jobs at the canning plant.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

It's a start.