Author Topic: Opioid prescription drug deaths dwarf shooting deaths, yet there’s no call to ban Big Pharma  (Read 1277 times)

rangerrebew

Opioid prescription drug deaths dwarf shooting deaths, yet there’s no call to ban Big Pharma

Monday, October 09, 2017 by: JD Heyes   

(Natural News) Americans continue to mourn the dozens of people who were killed and hundreds wounded by a crazed lunatic in Las Vegas on Sunday, and as is usually the case when guns are involved in a mass murder incident, the usual suspects are once more calling for gun bans.

“Nowhere but America do horrific large-scale mass shootings happen with this degree of regularity,” said U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn. “Last night’s massacre may go down as the deadliest in our nation’s history, but already this year there have been more mass shootings than days in the year.”

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-10-09-opioid-prescription-drug-deaths-dwarf-shooting-deaths-yet-theres-no-call-to-ban-big-pharma.html

Offline Stevensr123

Really don't get why heads are not rolling over this.

Doctors over in the US seem to hand out medicine like its candy, which in turn effects the prices of insurance (due to insurance companies having to pay out a lot more than usual). which in turn makes people crazy.

Over here in England, we have the NHS, which is a fantastic service (don't buy into the scare stories of fox news etc), but its a service than is run on a tight budget (due to under investment and miss-management) but the one good thing that comes from it is drug prices are regulated (as in the the NHS negotiate directly with the drug companies) and because its tax payer funded, giving them out to people is a far more stringent process (because its TAX payers money).

And the fact doctors are not given money (bribes) by big Pharma, there are less reasons why doctors just start handing out certain type of drugs just because they are payed (bribed).

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Doctors over in the US seem to hand out medicine like its candy, which in turn effects the prices of insurance (due to insurance companies having to pay out a lot more than usual). which in turn makes people crazy.

Over here in England, we have the NHS, which is a fantastic service (don't buy into the scare stories of fox news etc), but its a service than is run on a tight budget (due to under investment and miss-management) but the one good thing that comes from it is drug prices are regulated (as in the the NHS negotiate directly with the drug companies) and because its tax payer funded, giving them out to people is a far more stringent process (because its TAX payers money).

And the fact doctors are not given money (bribes) by big Pharma, there are less reasons why doctors just start handing out certain type of drugs just because they are payed (bribed).
Oh yeah nothing like that happens in England, there is no fraud, no over prescription of opioids and The NHS is just perfect! :thud:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/crackdown-on-fraud-that-costs-nhs-in-england-1-25bn-a-year-w2sn06wp6

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/13/prescription-of-opioid-drugs-continues-to-rise-in-england

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/13/prescription-of-opioid-drugs-continues-to-rise-in-england

https://www.dailywire.com/news/14470/7-things-you-need-know-about-britains-failing-aaron-bandler#

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/world/europe/uk-national-health-service.html

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"said U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn."

All I needed to know, right there.

:bsflag: :bsflag: :bsflag:
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

• Wulf Anson Author

Hang onto your hat pal, your NHS is about to get a whole lot more corrupt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Ambassador_to_the_United_Kingdom

Owner of NY Jets Nominated For U.K. Ambassador Post

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,268563.0.html

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The amount of overprescribed prescription drugs causing overdoses is minimal.  This in not a big Pharma problem. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
There are several members on THIS SITE, that claim they need prescription opioids for lifetime.

So take them at their word. Doctors continue to give such patients, their drugs.

Another category have a temporary need for meds, for surgical healing, etc..

Their supplies should presumably be temporary.

Somewhere in the mix is the criteria a physician uses, to determine "permanent" from "temporary"

Many overdose death are people who started with a "temporary" legitimate need, got cut off by doctors, and turned to street heroin.

A big problem with street heroin is uncertain potency/strength.

I have read that Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin were NOT suicidal. They simply got a drug which was far, far more potent than they expected.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There are several members on THIS SITE, that claim they need prescription opioids for lifetime.

So take them at their word. Doctors continue to give such patients, their drugs.

Somewhere in the mix is the criteria a physician uses, to determine "permanent" from "temporary"

Many overdose death are people who started with a "temporary" legitimate need, got cut off by doctors, and turned to street heroin.

I have read that Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin were NOT suicidal. They simply got a drug which was far, far more potent than they expected.

Just a wild guess on my part, but the number of people who overdose because they were buying street drugs because they became addicted to prescription drugs and were then cut off by their doctor is going to be very, very low. 

• Wulf Anson Author
The amount of overprescribed prescription drugs causing overdoses is minimal.  This in not a big Pharma problem.

Recent coverage begs to differ.

Here's over 30 recent reports on Opioid abuse.

https://psychroaches.blogspot.com/search/label/Opioids

Purdue upper mgt should be behind bars.

Offline GtHawk

How magnanimous of you

Many overdose deaths are people who started out on marijuana for a temporary high and transitioned to street heroin looking for a longer, bigger high.
See, I can do it too!

Somehow I am rather incredulous that Hendrix, Joplin or any other addicts like them started out on pain meds prescribed by doctors. And they probably screwed up and killed themselves mixing drugs for as bigger high.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Recent coverage begs to differ.

Here's over 30 recent reports on Opioid abuse.

https://psychroaches.blogspot.com/search/label/Opioids

Purdue upper mgt should be behind bars.

I'm not sure what you think that site supports.  ????

Offline Victoria33

There are several members on THIS SITE, that claim they need prescription opioids for lifetime. So take them at their word. Doctors continue to give such patients, their drugs.

How magnanimous of you Many overdose death are people who started with a "temporary" legitimate need, got cut off by doctors, and turned to street heroin.
Many overdose deaths are people who started out on marijuana for a temporary high and transitioned to street heroin looking for a longer, bigger highSee, I can do it too!
Somehow I am rather incredulous that Hendrix, Joplin or any other addicts like them started out on pain meds prescribed by doctors. And they probably screwed up and killed themselves mixing drugs for as bigger high.[/size]
@GtHawk

Hawk, if people haven't had pain every day, they can't imagine it, and say people don't need pain meds.  If these people who don't think I need pain meds, were me this morning, they would be scratching on the doc's door and begging for it.  I normally take one hydrocodone in the morning for fibro muscle pain, however, it was so bad, I took two, which doc says is permissible when this happens.  Before taking those pills, if I had to leave the house, I could not have - there was too much muscle pain to put on clothes - I stayed in my PJs.

I have never felt a "high", whatever that is, or felt "down", whatever that is. The pills work on the pain and I am able to mentally work on my computer without feeling anything like a "high" or "down".  The two pills worked on the pain and I was able to put on clothes, and make the bed.  I could not do anything until that pain was lessened.   

I have taken these pills for years and they have never made me feel "wonderful"; they just stop the pain.  That is their job.  My job is to take them so I can do MY job, which is writing.  If my mind was knocked nuts by pills, I could not write - that has never happened - I am totally in control of my mind when I take one or two of these pills.  Seldom do I take two, but I did this morning.

Doctors have to go through so much paperwork to write these prescriptions, they aren't going to hand out pills willy-nilly.  My doc hates to go through this process, but he knows I need these pills.

Some others on this forum use these pills or ones like them because they have to function, too, and they can't without having less pain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Just a wild guess on my part, but the number of people who overdose because they were buying street drugs because they became addicted to prescription drugs and were then cut off by their doctor is going to be very, very low.

I make no claim of skill parsing words over the opioid crisis, but I believe it does exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_epidemic
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I make no claim of skill parsing words over the opioid crisis, but I believe it does exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_epidemic

I didn't say it didn't exist.  I did say that overprescribing of opioids is not the main cause.

Offline GtHawk

@GtHawk

Hawk, if people haven't had pain every day, they can't imagine it, and say people don't need pain meds.  If these people who don't think I need pain meds, were me this morning, they would be scratching on the doc's door and begging for it.  I normally take one hydrocodone in the morning for fibro muscle pain, however, it was so bad, I took two, which doc says is permissible when this happens.  Before taking those pills, if I had to leave the house, I could not have - there was too much muscle pain to put on clothes - I stayed in my PJs.

I have never felt a "high", whatever that is, or felt "down", whatever that is. The pills work on the pain and I am able to mentally work on my computer without feeling anything like a "high" or "down".  The two pills worked on the pain and I was able to put on clothes, and make the bed.  I could not do anything until that pain was lessened.   

I have taken these pills for years and they have never made me feel "wonderful"; they just stop the pain.  That is their job.  My job is to take them so I can do MY job, which is writing.  If my mind was knocked nuts by pills, I could not write - that has never happened - I am totally in control of my mind when I take one or two of these pills.  Seldom do I take two, but I did this morning.

Doctors have to go through so much paperwork to write these prescriptions, they aren't going to hand out pills willy-nilly.  My doc hates to go through this process, but he knows I need these pills.

Some others on this forum use these pills or ones like them because they have to function, too, and they can't without having less pain.
I'm sorry you have such pain, but happy that at least you can find some relief! I was prescribed vicodin for over twenty years for migraines and back pain, I too never once felt a high from it, however I did get to the point my body started to reject it, didn't stop the pain and if I took an extra pill(or two if the pain was unbearable) all I got was queasy and the feeling I needed to crawl out of my skin.

I had to stop taking vicodin and they never really found a good substitute since most pain meds are in the same family. I spent years working in severe pain because, well I was the bread winner and sit, stand carry a load or not I hurt. Not trolling for sympathy many have it worse.  Well the construction industry in California took a dump and the company I worked for pretty well went out of business in 2011, long story short, er shorter, no one would hire someone my age when younger cheaper were in abundance so when I ended up on Medicare I had a lumbar surgery that failed to fix the issue and six months later four cervical disks replace which stopped further nerve damage and pretty much the migraines.

Now I depend on epidurals, which thank God the last one really helped and imitation opioid Tramadol. Still can't stand, sit, or walk for long, but I can go to my grandsons games and get thru the days, I just really miss being able to work, and not just for the monetary reasons. But like I say things could be worse and there are people much worse off, I just get irritated with the Know it alls when it comes to pain and pain meds.

May you have if not pain free days ahead at least moderate manageable ones.

@Victoria33
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:03:48 am by GtHawk »

• Wulf Anson Author
I'm not sure what you think that site supports.  ????

The Rule of Law through the abolition of repressive and already long term statutorily prohibited Nazi Pseudo Science.

There's no 'think' about it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The Rule of Law through the abolition of repressive and already long term statutorily prohibited Nazi Pseudo Science.

There's no 'think' about it.

Well, the last bit I agree with.

Offline Victoria33

@GtHawk

Thanks for explaining your situation. The hydrocodone I take is generic Vicodin. I have a high metabolism rate and as a result, medicine gets in my system really fast.  That may be why I haven't had to up the dose of Vicodin to get pain relief.

I can drink 1/2 glass of wine and I feel it, one glass and I would be drunk, so I don't drink much.  My husband said he wished he had known me earlier in his life as I would have saved him a lot of money - guess he was loading up the women on alcohol before he met me.  I was accidentally drunk one time and never want that to happen again.  It was a Mexican restaurant and I ordered a Margarita - did not know they put two shots of alcohol in those drinks.  In a very short time, I had trouble seeing, my talk was jumbled, I was a mess and it lasted through the whole meal.  Had to hold on to husband to get to the car.  He thought it was funny, I didn't.

• Wulf Anson Author
Well, the last bit I agree with.

Since your original post that I responded to said the Opioid problem/Epidemic isn't a Big Pharma thing, I gave you a collection of recent news postings to the contrary and you choose to attack the site they're reproduced on rather than the issue itself.

Next, I'm assuming, is a personal attack on me for having the temerity to assemble a whole bunch of other credible articles from other sources.

Thanks for offering me the chance to have the Moderators jump in, rather than consider the mountain of scientific and clinical trial evidence I've presented, but I'm not taking the bait this time. I know it's quite a bit to consider but God and the Truth are both, 'in the details'.

Last time I did, I'd been accused of citing a site that was funded by Scientology, which was a complete lie.

My accuser got away with that but I summoned multiple Mods when I asked him to prove it, which he couldn't.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:31:13 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Online roamer_1

I can drink 1/2 glass of wine and I feel it, one glass and I would be drunk, so I don't drink much. 

I heard that. When I was on narcs, I would use that little secret when I was bad enough that the Norco wasn't working... one seven and one beer did way better than 2 sevens did. Lit me right up.  Didn't last as long, but it worked like the dickens.

But like everything to do with morphine, I didn't dare use it that way very often - Only for the worst of the worst, and then only to get some sleep.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Since your original post that I responded to said the Opioid problem/Epidemic isn't a Big Pharma thing, I gave you a collection of recent news postings to the contrary and you choose to attack the site they're reproduced on rather than the issue itself.

Next, I'm assuming, is a personal attack on me for having the temerity to assemble a whole bunch of other credible articles from other sources.

Thanks for offering me the chance to have the Moderators jump in, rather than consider the mountain of scientific and clinical trial evidence I've presented, but I'm not taking the bait this time. I know it's quite a bit to consider but God and the Truth are both, 'in the details'.

Last time I did, I'd been accused of citing a site that was funded by Scientology, which was a complete lie.

My accuser got away with that but I summoned multiple Mods when I asked him to prove it, which he couldn't.

What does any of that have to do with my agreeing with you?

• Wulf Anson Author
What does any of that have to do with my agreeing with you?

Please, please, when you agree with me, please say as much with just a tad less open to interpretation ambiguity?

To me, the fingerprints on the trigger that murdered these children are pretty easy to read, and they don't all belong to the to the suspect the police took into custody.

Forgive me, but when I see the mind control drug Empire parading around in its suit of the Emperor's New Clothes, . . . . and dare to point it out, I've come to expect what I'm used to getting in return.

I've been accused of being a friend of Xenu here (even I had to look that one up) and I'm waiting for the jpgs of Battlefield Earth to start popping up, . . . .

If I misread your intent, Again, you have my apology.

If anyone's interested; here's another site full of science papers etc;

http://psychrights.org/Research/Digest/Researchbytopic.htm

Jim Gottstein (the owner) was approached by CoS when he got up and running.

He turned them down flat to affiliate instead with These people:

http://www.mindfreedom.org/

Forced Psychiatric Drugging and Shocking got so out of hand that just a few years ago, we were running a real Underground Railroad, like the one we had in the Civil War.

They were smuggling people out of State hidden in car trunks.

It may still be going on for all I know.

And none of this Forced Psychiatric Treatment (or Voluntary for that matter) is legal.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:11:56 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Please, please, when you agree with me, please say as much with just a tad less open to interpretation ambiguity?

To me, the fingerprints on the trigger that murdered these children are pretty easy to read, and they don't all belong to the to the suspect the police took into custody.

Forgive me, but when I see the mind control drug Empire parading around in its suit of the Emperor's New Clothes, . . . . and dare to point it out, I've come to expect what I'm used to getting in return.

I've been accused of being a friend of Xenu here (even I had to look that one up) and I'm waiting for the jpgs of Battlefield Earth to start popping up, . . . .

If I misread your intent, Again, you have my apology.

If anyone's interested; here's another site full of science papers etc;

http://psychrights.org/Research/Digest/Researchbytopic.htm

Jim Gottstein (the owner) was approached by CoS when he got up and running.

He turned them down flat to affiliate instead with These people:

http://www.mindfreedom.org/

Forced Psychiatric Drugging and Shocking got so out of hand that just a few years ago, we were running a real Underground Railroad, like the one we had in the Civil War.

They were smuggling people out of State hidden in car trunks.

It may still be going on for all I know.

And none of this is legal.

OK, to make it very clear:  I don't know who Xenu is and have not been involved in any of those responses to you. 

You and I disagree 180 degrees on pharmacology and psychology/psychiatry.  I think they should be approached carefully, but there is much value in both.  I don't think there is some kind of global conspiracy of big pharma or big psychiatry.  I readily admit that there are bad apples in both groups, just as there are in any other field.  And, I think that many mental health issues involve spiritual issues and can be best addressed by allowing God into one's life. 

Clear?

• Wulf Anson Author
OK, to make it very clear:  I don't know who Xenu is and have not been involved in any of those responses to you. 

You and I disagree 180 degrees on pharmacology and psychology/psychiatry.  I think they should be approached carefully, but there is much value in both. I don't think there is some kind of global conspiracy of big pharma or big psychiatry.  I readily admit that there are bad apples in both groups, just as there are in any other field.  And, I think that many mental health issues involve spiritual issues and can be best addressed by allowing God into one's life. 

Clear?

Yes, Clear, and Thank You.

On the bolded issue you and I DO agree.

It's not a conspiracy, they just don't care about anything beyond their bottom lines.