Author Topic: Slovak Investigative Reporter, Girlfriend Killed  (Read 239 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Slovak Investigative Reporter, Girlfriend Killed
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:58:26 pm »
Slovak Investigative Reporter, Girlfriend Killed
February 26, 2018 10:43 GMT

Police in Slovakia say an investigative journalist has been shot dead in his home together with his girlfriend.

Slovakia's police chief, Tibor Gaspar, said that 27-year-old Jan Kuciak and his partner were found dead on the evening of February 25 in their house in the town of Velka Maca, 65 kilometers east of Bratislava.

Gaspar said that the killings "likely have something to do with his investigative activities."

Read more at: https://www.rferl.org/a/slovakia-investigative-reporter-killed/29063205.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Slovak Investigative Reporter, Girlfriend Killed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 04:24:53 am »
Excerpt:
Report: Italian mafia may have links to reporter's killing

In an interview Tuesday with the Sme daily, Slovak-based Canadian journalist Tom Nicholson said Kuciak told him before his death that he was working on a story about possible Italian mafia involvement in fraud linked to EU subsidies in eastern Slovakia. Nicholson said he was ready to testify but has not been approached by police yet.

The country's police said the slayings were likely linked to Kuciak's reporting. "I'm not sure what caused Jan's death but I bet my life that this is so," Nicholson said.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/report-italian-mafia-may-have-links-to-reporters-killing/ar-BBJEvP5?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Early to call; but you figure, this stuff, shooting journalists doesn't happen in Slovakia, the story says this is the first journalist ever killed there. So, it certainly casts suspicion.