Author Topic: Billy Graham’s body to ‘lie in honor’ at U.S. Capitol  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Billy Graham’s body to ‘lie in honor’ at U.S. Capitol
Charlotte Observer, Feb 22, 2018, LaVendrick Smith

Rev. Billy Graham’s body will lie in honor in D.C. next week, House Speaker Paul Ryan announced Thursday.

Graham died Wednesday morning at his home in Montreat at the age of 99.  His body will lie in the Capitol rotunda from Feb. 28 to March 1, so the public can pay their respects, Ryan said.

“As soaring a figure as he was, Rev. Graham connected with people on an elemental level,” Ryan said Wednesday in a statement. “His reach was rooted in decency, humility, and love. He set a tone of ecumenical inclusion, advocated civil rights, and refused to accept the segregation of those attending his crusades. Rev. Graham’s service is a testament that, with faith in God, one person can do so much good for the world.”

A motorcade procession will take Graham’s body from Asheville to Charlotte on Saturday, where he will lie in public repose through Feb. 27.

Graham’s funeral service is scheduled for Friday, March 2.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/special-reports/billy-graham-life/article201527084.html#storylink=cpy

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I see no reason for this not to be done.  I expect your atheists and other godless souls, say... like you average liberal to have a conniption fit..
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline musiclady

This is good.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I see no reason for this not to be done.  I expect your atheists and other godless souls, say... like you average liberal to have a conniption fit..

If the Libs can justify stuffing the Cape Cod Orca into a grave at Arlington National Cemetery when he wasn't qualified to be buried there...someone like Reverend Graham who during the Korean War was in the Combat zones ministering to soldiers...can lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 USA TODAY
Deirdre Shesgreen
3 hrs ago

WASHINGTON — The world-renown evangelist Billy Graham, who died Wednesday, will lie in honor at the U.S. Capitol next Wednesday and Thursday, with political leaders and the public allowed to pay their respects.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., announced the decision on Thursday. His office said that after Graham’s casket arrives on Feb. 28, Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., will take part in a bicameral service honoring the preacher and presidential counselor.

Graham's casket will remain in the Rotunda through March 1, the speaker's office said.

more
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/billy-graham-to-lie-in-honor-in-capitol-rotunda/ar-BBJt9zY?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

I think this is awesome!

He did more for the country than any politician ever did.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I can't resist posing a question, as respectfully as possible:

What is the criteria, to "lie in honor at the U.S. Capitol?"

Would this apply equally for high status, high ranking, officials of various religious denomination?

For instance would certain Bishops of the Catholic faith, qualify?

How about the top Mormon? Other denominations?

If the answer is Yes, or No....who decides ??

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Oops, better put some liberals on suicide watch.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

Oops, better put some liberals on suicide watch.

They're already blowing their tops in mockery and demonic hatred.

This will make things worse, and they'd better put some strong security in place.

Offline NavyCanDo

I think this is awesome!

He did more for the country than any politician ever did.

Yes He did. If Heaven had a door for people led to Christ at a Billy Graham crusade the door would have to be very very wide.  185 countries and territories on six continents.   
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:18:29 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline WingNot

Re: Billy Graham’s body to ‘lie in honor’ at U.S. Capitol
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:35 pm »
If the Libs can justify stuffing the Cape Cod Orca into a grave at Arlington National Cemetery when he wasn't qualified to be buried there...someone like Reverend Graham who during the Korean War was in the Combat zones ministering to soldiers...can lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda.
LOL
 888high58888 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 11:48:00 pm »

Would this apply equally for high status, high ranking, officials of various religious denomination?

Though he was raised Baptist, Billy Graham represents all Christians (his ministry was strongly ecumenical), so in that regard he represents all denominations which constitute the vast majority of Americans.

This is a very fitting honor for a distinguished American who brought the love of Jesus to millions around the world.

@truth_seeker
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:59:02 pm by musiclady »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 12:00:22 am »
Yes He did. If Heaven had a door for people led to Christ at a Billy Graham crusade the door would have to be very very wide.  185 countries and territories on six continents.

Indeed!   And always the same message.  Simple Biblical truth about the GOOD NEWS.

Offline berdie

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:15 am »

Hmmm...didn't Rosa Park lay in state? What is the criteria?

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 12:38:32 am »
   Firm Believer in the Separation of Church and State, but whatever, I got no dog in this hunt.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 12:47:53 am »
   Firm Believer in the Separation of Church and State, but whatever, I got no dog in this hunt.

Your dog is as lame as your game and couldn't hunt a dead squirrel in a fenced back yard.

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 12:57:45 am »
   Chill Dude, I just chased 2 rats outta my house in as many days, WTF have you done?

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 01:00:30 am »
   Chill Dude, I just chased 2 rats outta my house in as many days, WTF have you done?

I pissed of a church lady.   Game on!

Offline corbe

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 01:04:50 am »
   Not a good thing to do here, IMHO.  Conservatives as a whole are pretty Religious people and I will always respect that. 
   I'm more on the Spiritual side of the same equation.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 01:56:58 am »
I think it is more about his association with presidents. 
https://billygraham.org/story/billy-graham-pastor-to-presidents-2/

Offline WingNot

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 02:00:30 am »
   Not a good thing to do here, IMHO.  Conservatives as a whole are pretty Religious people and I will always respect that. 
   I'm more on the Spiritual side of the same equation.

Yeah right.  You are as spiritual as a two bit whore turning tricks at an CPAC convention.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 02:06:18 am »
truthseeker asked:

Can't say, but we all know what the criteria is "to lie with dishonor" in the Capitol:
Get elected to public office.

RIP Reverend Graham.
You'll outclass everyone else in that building, even in death.

Offline corbe

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 02:15:01 am »
   @Wingnut should we really be doing this in a Billy Graham thread? Particularly one started by @Right_in_Virginia, she doen't take to kindly to that, it's almost suicide, I tell ya.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 03:02:52 am »
I pissed of a church lady.   Game on!

If you're referring to me, your game is off.

I'm not mad at you.   I feel sorry for you.

Your ruining thread after thread doesn't help the forum, @Wingnut.  Nor does it help you.

I know you well enough to know you're better than this kind of garbage.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:04:32 am by musiclady »

Offline WingNot

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 03:04:54 am »
If you're referring to me, your game is off.

I'm not mad at you.   I feel sorry for you.

Your ruining thread after thread doesn't help the forum, @Wingnut.  Nor does it help you.

Go back out west.  This place was better and richer when you were on your walkabout.