Author Topic: Billy Graham’s body to ‘lie in honor’ at U.S. Capitol  (Read 2395 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Billy Graham’s body to ‘lie in honor’ at U.S. Capitol
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 08:33:30 pm »
   Firm Believer in the Separation of Church and State, but whatever, I got no dog in this hunt.

Just what "Church" did Graham belong to?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 08:35:19 pm »
When all is said and done, here's what matters:

I'm not the most religious person in the world, but that was a nice cartoon.  Billy was one of the good ones.

Offline corbe

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 08:40:06 pm »
    According to most Briefers @dfwgator a 'Religious' one.  I cannot in good conscience continue this conversation for 2 reasons.
    Religious discussions are frowned upon here
    As I said in my first post, I got no dog in this hunt, if they can lay Ted Kennedy or Robert Byrd there, by all means lay anyone there, it's just not relevant to me, personally.

:beer:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2018, 03:57:40 pm »
   @IsailedawayfromFR

With all due respect to my Christian Friends here, allowing an Evangelical to 'lie in honor' in the U.S. Capitol causes my disconnect here. SURE, he served his Country in the Military, as most of US here, have.

*I just haven't overcome my dislike for the Bakers and Swaggarts of the world and yes, I know I am painting with a broad brush.
of course you can dislike certain people if you wish; however, what has that have to do with what you call the separation of church and state?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline corbe

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2018, 04:27:31 pm »
   On further consideration @IsailedawayfromFR, Besides Optics, Absolutely Nothing connects the two.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2018, 10:59:46 pm »
I sailed wrote:
"however, what has that have to do with what you call the separation of church and state?"

I'd "call it" a leftist lie, twisted words that no longer embody what the founding fathers intent was...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2018, 12:30:56 am »
   @IsailedawayfromFR

With all due respect to my Christian Friends here, allowing an Evangelical to 'lie in honor' in the U.S. Capitol causes my disconnect here. SURE, he served his Country in the Military, as most of US here, have.

*I just haven't overcome my dislike for the Bakers and Swaggarts of the world and yes, I know I am painting with a broad brush.

If Christians knew the affront and assault of laying that man in state under the capitol dome, they would be far more offended than you.

For anyone interested, research the term 'apotheosis' and find out why our leaders lie 'in state' in that particular place.

Offline verga

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2018, 12:40:49 pm »
Billy Graham is the fourth private citizen to lay in state at the Rotunda.
U.S. Capitol Police Officer Jacob J. Chestnut, Jr., (1940–1998) and Detective John M. Gibson (1956–1998)
Officer Jacob J. Chestnut, Jr., and Detective John M. Gibson, died in the line of duty protecting the U.S. Capitol from an armed assailant. They were the first private citizens to lie in honor in the Capitol Rotunda.

Lay in Honor: July 24, 1998

Rosa Parks (1913-2005)
Rosa Parks, an African-American seamstress whose act of civil disobedience in 1955 galvanized the U.S. civil rights movement, was the first woman and the second black American to lie in honor in the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol.

Lay in Honor: October 30-31, 2005
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2018, 02:50:04 pm »
Is lying in honor different from lying in state? I suspect so.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2018, 03:22:22 pm »
And is lying in honor the same as lying in repose and less than lying in state?

I know that lying in state is the highest honor, and descends from the tradition of having kings and queens lie in state.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:22:39 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.