Author Topic: One of America's best marksmen on gun control: 'There's just no reason for assault rifles to be in t  (Read 1311 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
PYEONGCHANG, South Korea – Lowell Bailey is one of the best marksmen in America. The North Carolina native is so proficient with a gun that he has made a living off it. He is an Olympian biathlete. So his opinion on the roiling gun debate in his country is worth hearing.

On Tuesday night, after he had finished competing, he gave it.

“We’re a sport that uses a .22-caliber rifle,” Bailey said. “A .22-caliber rifle that shoots a single round is a much different thing than an AR-15. In my opinion, there’s just no reason for assault rifles to be in the hands of ordinary citizens.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/one-americas-best-marksmen-gun-control-theres-just-no-reason-assault-rifles-hands-ordinary-citizens-171558054.html?exp=vv
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

A .22-caliber rifle that shoots a single round is a much different thing than an AR-15.

The 5.56mm NATO is a .223 caliber weapon.  Only one bullet per trigger pull on an AR.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:54:30 pm by edpc »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
We really should work harder at education.   Perhaps if more people understood firearm basics we wouldn't be punished with idiots like this guy.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline goodwithagun

I was one of America's best markswomen about 20 years ago. My hole punching machine is an Anschutz .22. I also shot an AR-15 for high power competitions. What's this tools point?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:55:58 pm by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
5 times more people are killed by knives than rifles. Probably, 20 times more people are killed by knives than "assault" rifles. This is nothing but an empty political gesture.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

Time to ban Jerry Miculek’s assault finger.

! No longer available

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
We really should work harder at education.   Perhaps if more people understood firearm basics we wouldn't be punished with idiots like this guy.

You're saying this biathlete doesn't understand firearms basics? 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

You're saying this biathlete doesn't understand firearms basics?

He certainly doesn’t understand caliber.  Also, in an environment like this school, he’s probably a bigger threat with a single shot Thompson Contender than Cruz is with an AR-15.  He’s a precision shooter in a target rich location, with no return fire.  He could easily kill more than 17 people.

Offline thackney

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea – Lowell Bailey is one of the best marksmen in America. The North Carolina native is so proficient with a gun that he has made a living off it. He is an Olympian biathlete. So his opinion on the roiling gun debate in his country is worth hearing.

On Tuesday night, after he had finished competing, he gave it.

“We’re a sport that uses a .22-caliber rifle,” Bailey said. “A .22-caliber rifle that shoots a single round is a much different thing than an AR-15. In my opinion, there’s just no reason for assault rifles to be in the hands of ordinary citizens.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/one-americas-best-marksmen-gun-control-theres-just-no-reason-assault-rifles-hands-ordinary-citizens-171558054.html?exp=vv

The second amendment wasn't written to be sure the citizens could compete in biathlons with $3,500 rifles.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=FIBIAN
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
In my opinion, there’s just no reason for assault rifles to be in the hands of ordinary citizens.”

In the opinion of the Left, there is also no reason for assault handguns to be in the hands of ordinary citizens either.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
An M14 would do more damage than an AR-15. IIRC The VT gunman used two pistols: A 9mm and a .22.

There is no reason to own an assault weapon just like there is no reason to own a motorcycle and motorcycles kill more people than assault weapons.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
He certainly doesn’t understand caliber.  Also, in an environment like this school, he’s probably a bigger threat with a single shot Thompson Contender than Cruz is with an AR-15.  He’s a precision shooter in a target rich location, with no return fire.  He could easily kill more than 17 people.

So you're saying the AR -15 is especially useful to Cruz because it equalizes his abilities to kill as compared with a precision shooter?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

In my opinion, there’s just no reason for assault rifles to be in the hands of ordinary citizens.”

Obviously not a store owner in Ferguson, Missouri.

Offline edpc

So you're saying the AR -15 is especially useful to Cruz because it equalizes his abilities to kill as compared with a precision shooter?

No, I’m saying the gun itself isn’t the issue.  Putting rounds on target is.  He can’t reasonably call for gun control on one weapon.  There argument seems to be about potential.  He and any other precision shooter are a bigger threat.  Are we going to ban them, too?

Offline thackney

Defense by a firearm is an equalizer of force.

March 5, 1836: “God Created Men and Sam Colt Made Them Equal!”

Women don't have to live in fear of stronger men.  Older citizens don't have to live in fear of stronger younger thugs that attack and steal from them.

Semi-autos let a single victim defend against multiple attackers.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Obviously not a store owner in Ferguson, Missouri.

Amen....

There was a time not too long ago I thought one full chambered revolver would be more than I would ever need.  Times have changed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:36:17 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline driftdiver

5 times more people are killed by knives than rifles. Probably, 20 times more people are killed by knives than "assault" rifles. This is nothing but an empty political gesture.

@Restored
au contraire mon frère it is part of a concerted effort to ban private ownership of firearms.    This statement says that anything more powerful then a .22 isn't necessary.

Offline driftdiver

@Jazzhead
So transparent.

Firearms aren't magic.   They are tools, moderately complex ones in some cases.   The physics involved are complex.   Do you even know what an AR15 is?  Have you ever actually held one?

An AR15 is functionally the same as every other firearm not classified as a Class 3 firearm.   That means you pull the trigger one time and it shoots one time.   

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Oh, what's an assault weapon. Waiting for that remark.  :tongue2:

Offline skeeter

Have we given up trying to convince everyone that 'assault rifles' are already banned? Language matters.

Offline driftdiver

Oh, what's an assault weapon. Waiting for that remark.  :tongue2:

Its a flexible term useful to attack anything the leftist doesn't currently like.

Online mountaineer

What's an "ordinary citizen"? Is he saying only elites are entitled to own their weapon of choice?  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online andy58-in-nh

The term "assault rifle" is itself a fabrication of the gum control lobby. In reality, there is no such thing.

Instead the term is intended to instill fear and confusion among the populace.

The gun grabbers have intentionally conflated the design, capabilities and purposes of the AR-15 - the most popular and widely-owned rifle in America  - with those of fully-automatic military grade weapons, which which, outside of their appearance and .223/5.56 NATO caliber, they share nothing in common.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What's an "ordinary citizen"? Is he saying only elites are entitled to own their weapon of choice?  :shrug:

Yes.  Only government and it's agents will be permitted to have weapons.

Just like North Korea.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

What right does any leftist have to  tell us we don't "need" something? Why does anyone need a Mercedes when a Ford will get you around town? This country was not made great because people settled for meeting "needs." We excel and prosper and buy things we want.

This competitive shooter is an elitist.

I am getting tired of the parade of progressives since the atrocity in Florida, who know nothing about firearms or the Constitution, tell us what we need. 9999hair out0000
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:36:50 pm by austingirl »
Principles matter. Words matter.