Author Topic: Fla. shooting survivor pleads for gun control: ‘We are children, you guys are the adults’  (Read 12088 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
This is true.  And at some point, the number of law abiding people who feel (justifiably) threatened by a nation awash in some half a billion guns will outnumber the law abiding people who are too selfish to accept any restriction whatsoever on their hobby.

What other rights do you consider to be ‘hobbies’....?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:52:01 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
This is true.  And at some point, the number of law abiding people who feel (justifiably) threatened by a nation awash in some half a billion guns will outnumber the law abiding people who are too selfish to accept any restriction whatsoever on their hobby. 

This is Oceander's point -  be part of the solution now or be marginalized - and cede to the "other side" the content of our gun laws.    More to the point, the absolutist position will soon no longer be political tenable for either responsible conservatives or Republicans.   Indeed, the real danger is that the Dems will effectively use the absolutist position to smear the entire party,  and gain political hegemony in the process.  And the RKBA will truly be at risk.   

What are the solutions?  Obviously,  there is no silver bullet (pun intended), and, like most complex problems, required a multifaceted approach.  Some of the solutions proposed by the absolutists make sense,  such as placing armed security guards in schools.   But the hobbyists need to understand that a system of licensure, registration and insurance is needed for guns for the same reasons it is needed for motor vehicles.   Guns and cars are both useful and necessary implements,  as well as potentially deadly.  (Indeed the purpose of a firearm is to be deadly -  it is, for example, the equalizer for a small woman being threatened by a large man.)   But a regime of insurance, as it does with cars,  encourages both responsibility and safe practices and creates a system of compensation for the victims of gun violence.   If a legal gun owner must insure his arsenal,  and be responsible for the harm caused while in his custody,  he will be incentivized to inventory his guns, keep them away from others, and notify the police promptly when lost or stolen.   

There may be a host of other reasonable, efficacious solutions as well, that won't impact the natural and Constitutionally protected right of a father to protect his home and family against intruders,  or a woman to feel safe when out alone, or a sportsman to hunt and shoot, or a hobbyist to collect his treasures. 

But like Oceander says,  if you're not willing to be part of the solution, the solution won't include you.   

@Jazzhead  @Oceander

Interesting that anyone who doesn't agree with your specific "solution" more gun control on law abiding citizens is just refusing to be part of making America Great Again.

Right?

You won't explain what your solution is, just that its reasonable.  Which we all know it means registration and eventual confiscation.

You refuse to address why  gun crime is so isolated to certain parts of the country.

Its almost like you have a hidden agenda.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

What other rights do you consider ‘hobbies’....?

It's not an absolute right.  Heller confirms that the RKBA is subject to regulation so long as the right is not denied.    And even you will,  I assume, concede that with rights come responsibilities. 

Second amendment absolutists tend to be hobbyists.  Would you prefer I use a less neutral term?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Which we all know it means registration and eventual confiscation.

Bullshit.   The appeal to the slippery slope is the weakest form of argument.   Has car insurance lead to confiscation? 

Offline driftdiver

It's not an absolute right.  Heller confirms that the RKBA is subject to regulation so long as the right is not denied.    And even you will,  I assume, concede that with rights come responsibilities. 

Second amendment absolutists tend to be hobbyists.  Would you prefer I use a less neutral term?

Are 1st amendment absolutists also hobbyists?   How about the 7th?  the 13th?  19th?

Offline driftdiver

Bullshit.   The appeal to the slippery slope is the weakest form of argument.   Has car insurance lead to confiscation?

History refutes you.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
....And at some point, the number of law abiding people who feel (justifiably) threatened by a nation awash in some half a billion guns will outnumber the law abiding people who are too selfish to accept any restriction whatsoever on their hobby....   

Apparently roughly 30% of US households have guns.  I don't know if that sizeable minority will be changing any time soon.  But it is a minority.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
History refutes you.

Bullshit.  Again - has car insurance led to confiscation? 

Offline driftdiver

Apparently roughly 30% of US households have guns.  I don't know if that sizeable minority will be changing any time soon.  But it is a minority.

And another 36% are open to owning a firearm.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:58:56 pm by driftdiver »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Laura - please accept my warm welcome to this little group of ours.   

30% of US households own guns, and I'll bet the vast majority of them understand the need for reasonable regulation of the devices.   

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

You don't need insurance to have a car. You need insurance to use a car. So it is a useless analogy.

I'm all in favor of people needing insurance to shoot up a school.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

@Jazzhead

Try driving without insurance and see if your car gets confiscated.  man you are dumb

But its not about cars despite your efforts to deflect.  Its about firearms.

History is quite clear, when weapons are registered they end up being confiscated, when they are confiscated the people end up losing their rights and the govt becomes oppressive.

A woman from Tampa was attacked in London.  The man tried to rape her.   She stabbed him with a pen and was arrested.   Example after example.  Crime goes up,( murders, rapes, robbery, theft) and personal liberty goes down.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:04:04 pm by driftdiver »

Offline LauraTXNM

Laura - please accept my warm welcome to this little group of ours.   

30% of US households own guns, and I'll bet the vast majority of them understand the need for reasonable regulation of the devices.

Thank you, Jazzhead!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline edpc

I absolutely have the right to bear arms and protect myself. My job requires travel, sometimes in off hours, into unsafe areas. I carry because of the others in society who have the hobby of assaulting people and taking things that aren’t theirs.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
You don't need insurance to have a car. You need insurance to use a car. So it is a useless analogy.

Why?  Cars are useful but can cause harm to others when misused.  Guns are useful but can cause harm to others when misused.  The analogy regarding the need for insurance is perfectly appropriate, giving due allowance to the difference in the nature of the devices. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I absolutely have the right to bear arms and protect myself. My job requires travel, sometimes in off hours, into unsafe areas.

Straw man.  No one disagrees with that.  Your job no doubt also requires that you drive a car.   But why shouldn't you be required to register and insure your gun just as you do your car?   

Offline driftdiver

Straw man.  No one disagrees with that.  Your job no doubt also requires that you drive a car.   But why shouldn't you be required to register and insure your gun just as you do your car?

Why shouldn't you be required to register your keyboard?

Offline edpc

Probably because I don’t have a right to own a car, the vehicle is provided by the company, and insured through them.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
As the great aunt of 6 beautiful, extremely loving and exceptionally bright great nieces currently in elementary school and another great niece in college, I can’t say for absolute certainty that if any of them were shot and killed in a senseless school shooting by some nut case, that my initial emotional response and stemming from my inconsolable grief, that it wouldn’t cause me to abandon my pro 2nd A stance and call for something, anything to be done to prevent it from happening again. That I think is human nature. It’s all too easy to demonize these people until someone you know and love is a victim.

I couldn’t imagine if my family was impacted or if any of my loved ones died, that I would react with a sort of cold and detached indifference and defend a position that the 2nd A doesn’t come with any sort of rational restrictions.

On one hand I don’t want an erosion of 2nd A rights that keeps fire arms even AR 15’s out of the hands of responsible gun owners, and from what I can tell, they are more numerous than the irresponsible folks or the nut cases. And I have many responsible gun owners in my family and FWIW, none of them are hunters, all have guns for self and home and family defense and my nephew is a CC holder and often goes armed including to restaurants and movie theaters although you would never know it.

But obviously this kid was mentally unstable and IMO, something has to be done to, even if we can’t prevent such a person from going on a rampage using other means or from getting a gun illegally, he shouldn’t even have been allowed to legally purchase at 18 years old and with his history an AR15 and ammo when the very same law in Florida would have not have allowed him to legally purchase a pistol.

And as for arming teachers or aids or volunteers in schools, while I think that may be a great idea, it will come to an abrupt end the very first time some teacher or aid or volunteer who was perhaps not properly vetted or suddenly goes berserk, goes on a rampage and kills the very kids they were supposed to be protecting.

Flame away if you like but that’s just my opinion.
Not flaming. Emotion runs high in the days after an event like this, which is why I made the comment on this thread that this woman and others in similar straits are more in need of our prayers than ever.

As for legislation, as cooler heads prevail, it will be obvious that either there is no legislation which could have prevented this event, the security measures were inadequate, or that somewhere in the system that is supposed to prevent people with serious and violent issues from getting a firearm, the system failed to do so.

In the incident where Gabby Giffords was shot, along with a judge who was among the dead, the system failed, apparently subverted by a relative who didn't want Mr. Loughner to suffer the stigma of being branded a nutcase. In this instance, the firearm was obtained (I don't know how) in spite o the safeguards which are supposed to keep them out of the hands of those who are bent on murder.

When systems fail, more system is seldom a viable solution.

I do have a couple of questions, though. Apparently the shooter was no longer a student there. Why go back to school to wreak havoc? Were the issues related to happenings at that (or another ) school? Was the shooter an alumnus? If so, what happened there? If not, why that school when a shopping mall or grocery store would likely have been as much a target rich environment? Why shoot kids instead of the adults?

Not that I really have a desire to peek under that hood, but I think we need to know what is causing this sort of incident (aside from simply evil) and if there are contributing factors, like pharmacology.

If someone is determined to get their hands on weapons to kill people, they will, unless their hands are tied. Even failing to obtain the very best will not stop them from improvising, to the point of making their own firearms, even (Earle Stanley Gardner, the author of the Perry Mason stories had a collection of some 50+ homemade weapons, some quite sophisticated, and most prototype weapons were made in someone's shop first). But even then other possibilities aside from firearms exist and could be equally devastating. Firearms are only one class of arms, and some relatively simple weapons could be used against relatively helpless people with devastating effect.

Frankly, the problem isn't the tool used, it is the mind, for whatever reason so demented as to wish to exact, (even temporarily) some such sort of vengeance against a bunch of kids. Those minds may develop in some form of isolation, but not in a vacuum. Something pushed them over that edge, that line between someone filled with resentments and anger to mass murderer, and it wasn't an inanimate object.

Having hashtag fests and cookies and pop soires about bullying is all nice, but it won't stop the innate cruelty kids practice against each other, and in some cases, that done by adults as well. In a culture where all too often there is no genuine regard for the feelings or pain of others, nor the ordinary desire to not inflict such pain, it is little wonder that some of the people produced turn out to be monsters.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"18 school shootings since Jan. 1st...by the same generation that eats laundry detergent...and you wanna say we have a gun problem." (Randy Shook)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
It's not an absolute right.

Well you are going to have to arm and empower your government to go out and KILL a whole lot of American gun owners who are not going to comply with whatever licensing, registration or ban schemes you dream up.  We are going to refuse to comply with your arbitrary dismissal and abolishment of Rights you have determined are 'not absolute'.

Like I told you on the other thread - if you want to pursue this crap - you will have bought yourself a war.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Well you are going to have to arm and empower your government to go out and KILL a whole lot of American gun owners who are not going to comply with whatever licensing, registration or ban schemes you dream up.  We are going to refuse to comply with your arbitrary dismissal and abolishment of Rights you have determined are 'not absolute'.

Like I told you on the other thread - if you want to pursue this crap - you will have bought yourself a war.

Have it your way.    *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:00:31 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline LauraTXNM

There is another issue brewing, which is going to bring gun licensing into greater focus: nationwide licensing reciprocity.  I think people in less-gun-friendly states will fight to have a say in the requirements for licensure of visitors to their states.  I can easily imagine calls for national licensure standards.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
What laws could we pass that would have stopped this gunman? Even the insurance idea would not have stopped him. What's the point of bringing it up?

How about this : If you have a mental illness designation and you are known to Law Enforcement as a potential threat, you cannot purchase a firearm. If you try, you will be arrested.
Countdown to Resignation

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Someone who lies and someone who tells the truth are playing on opposite sides, so to speak, in the same game. Each responds to the facts as he understands them, although the response of the one is guided by the authority of the truth, while the response of the other defies that authority and refuses to meet its demands.
The bullshitter ignores these demands altogether. He does not reject the authority of the truth, as the liar does, and oppose himself to it. He pays no attention to it at all. By virtue of this, bullshit is a greater enemy of the truth than lies are.

Harry G. Frankfurt, Professor Emeritus, Yale University
(From his book, On Bullshit)

https://brenebrown.com/blog/2017/11/08/gun-reform-speaking-truth-bullshit-practicing-civility-affecting-change/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien