Author Topic: Fla. shooting survivor pleads for gun control: ‘We are children, you guys are the adults’  (Read 12099 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@LauraTXNM

In Florida you have to wait 3 days for all gun purchases unless you have a concealed permit.

Waiting periods don't do anything.

Agreed, but I thought there WAS NO waiting period to buy a rifle.  That's what I thought was strange.  I'm obviously wrong, and there's a 3-day wait for both rifles and handguns.  Correct?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Agreed, but I thought there WAS NO waiting period to buy a rifle.  That's what I thought was strange.  I'm obviously wrong, and there's a 3-day wait for both rifles and handguns.  Correct?

Waiting period for all firearm purchases from a licensed dealer.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Victim's aunt calls for action, not prayers, after shooting

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — In an open letter addressed "Dear America," the aunt of a 14-year-old killed in a Florida school shooting calls for action — not prayers — to put an end to gun violence.

"My family does not want your hopes and prayers. We want your action. Join us in fighting the NRA. Join us in deposing any politician who cares more about campaign contributions than my beautiful Jaime. Join us in supporting leaders who will bravely fight for our children's lives," Youkilis writes.

Gun rights advocates have distorted the Second Amendment right to bear arms beyond rational interpretation, she says.

"Why is your hunting hobby more important than my niece's life?" Youkilis writes. "Why should my niece have been sacrificed at the altar of your 'freedoms?'"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/victims-aunt-calls-action-not-prayers-shooting-225152005.html

:facepalm2:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline LauraTXNM

Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

Waiting period for all firearm purchases from a licensed dealer.

Off-topic but It's interesting -- in FL if you have a CCL there's no waiting period.  Does anyone know where else that's true?

Offline edpc

I reside in Kansas.  I can purchase a long gun or handgun the same day, if I pass the instant background check on the Form 4473.  As a KS resident with a driver's license, I can conceal carry within the state as a legal gun owner.  I can open carry as well.  Many people still do get the CC license for reciprocity purposes in other states. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:17:05 am by edpc »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In FL there is no waiting period to buy a rifle/AR15.  Only a handgun. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong -- this seems really stupid.
North Dakota has no waiting period to buy either one. Either you pass NICS or you don't. We call this "normal", despite the phone call part.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — In an open letter addressed "Dear America," the aunt of a 14-year-old killed in a Florida school shooting calls for action — not prayers — to put an end to gun violence.

"My family does not want your hopes and prayers. We want your action. Join us in fighting the NRA. Join us in deposing any politician who cares more about campaign contributions than my beautiful Jaime. Join us in supporting leaders who will bravely fight for our children's lives," Youkilis writes.

Gun rights advocates have distorted the Second Amendment right to bear arms beyond rational interpretation, she says.

"Why is your hunting hobby more important than my niece's life?" Youkilis writes. "Why should my niece have been sacrificed at the altar of your 'freedoms?'"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/victims-aunt-calls-action-not-prayers-shooting-225152005.html

I see that as an even greater need for our prayers. Poor woman must be really hurting to be that irrational.  :0001:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

I must wonder if this individual would be upset with Hollywood, too? Hollywood’s exploitation of gun violence does nothing to promote training or gun safety. The NRA does that and more to help members and non-members alike learn how to protect life and property safely.

Not to make light in the seriousness of this tragic event, but the knees be a’jerking faster than frog legs in a pan of salt water.

Offline edpc

It’s really odd how none of these mass shooters are ever found to have tons of Charlton Heston memorabilia, journals containing lamentations over the unrequited love of Wayne LaPierre, and stacks of American Rifleman magazine.

Online mountaineer

I must wonder if this individual would be upset with Hollywood, too? Hollywood’s exploitation of gun violence does nothing to promote training or gun safety. The NRA does that and more to help members and non-members alike learn how to protect life and property safely.

Not to make light in the seriousness of this tragic event, but the knees be a’jerking faster than frog legs in a pan of salt water.
Not to mention the violent video games so many young people play.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

Sorry, I was unclear.  The discrepancy just seems pointless to me.  You have to wait to buy a handgun, but not an AR15?  (I mean, an adult over 21.).  That just seems pointless.   Waiting period for all or none.

Handguns are treated differently on several levels.  Federal law requires you have to be 21 to buy and handgun or ammo suitable for handguns (ammo rarely enforced due to so many crossovers these days).  License to Carry permits require you to be 21. 

The Three day waiting period is from state law.  There is no waiting period for long guns or handguns in Texas.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline SkyKing

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting. Why should millions of Americans have to live in fear and be unable to defend their loved ones?
Sorry about your niece but she might have survived if the school wasn't a gun free zone and there were capable people armed.

Offline edpc

Ms. Youkilis should talk with members of the Texas church in Sutherland Springs who are still alive, because an armed citizen stopped the carnage and pursued the shooter.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
@Concerned

Thanks for the additional info...the report I heard on FOX was a little lacking I see....did not state it was his weapon but implied it was owned by the family he was staying with.

Is it time to start holding families accountable then for this kind of stuff?

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
As the great aunt of 6 beautiful, extremely loving and exceptionally bright great nieces currently in elementary school and another great niece in college, I can’t say for absolute certainty that if any of them were shot and killed in a senseless school shooting by some nut case, that my initial emotional response and stemming from my inconsolable grief, that it wouldn’t cause me to abandon my pro 2nd A stance and call for something, anything to be done to prevent it from happening again. That I think is human nature. It’s all too easy to demonize these people until someone you know and love is a victim.

I couldn’t imagine if my family was impacted or if any of my loved ones died, that I would react with a sort of cold and detached indifference and defend a position that the 2nd A doesn’t come with any sort of rational restrictions.

On one hand I don’t want an erosion of 2nd A rights that keeps fire arms even AR 15’s out of the hands of responsible gun owners, and from what I can tell, they are more numerous than the irresponsible folks or the nut cases. And I have many responsible gun owners in my family and FWIW, none of them are hunters, all have guns for self and home and family defense and my nephew is a CC holder and often goes armed including to restaurants and movie theaters although you would never know it.

But obviously this kid was mentally unstable and IMO, something has to be done to, even if we can’t prevent such a person from going on a rampage using other means or from getting a gun illegally, he shouldn’t even have been allowed to legally purchase at 18 years old and with his history an AR15 and ammo when the very same law in Florida would have not have allowed him to legally purchase a pistol.

And as for arming teachers or aids or volunteers in schools, while I think that may be a great idea, it will come to an abrupt end the very first time some teacher or aid or volunteer who was perhaps not properly vetted or suddenly goes berserk, goes on a rampage and kills the very kids they were supposed to be protecting.

Flame away if you like but that’s just my opinion.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline thackney

...And as for arming teachers or aids or volunteers in schools, while I think that may be a great idea, it will come to an abrupt end the very first time some teacher or aid or volunteer who was perhaps not properly vetted or suddenly goes berserk, goes on a rampage and kills the very kids they were supposed to be protecting.

Flame away if you like but that’s just my opinion.

Someone unstable enough to shoot innocent kids, would be bringing in the gun regardless of rules permitting the carry after training and certification.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

• Technical
I got an idea, hold the adults accountable. They had a little bastard kid who had access to guns.

Throw those idiots in jail.

Offline Hoodat

If they only had a law against bringing guns into schools, none of this would have happened.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

Is it time to start holding families accountable then for this kind of stuff?
Right. Your relative borrows your hammer (with or without your consent and knowledge) and uses it to beat someone. Should you go to jail for having a hammer?

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

I got an idea, hold the adults accountable. They had a little bastard kid who had access to guns.

Throw those idiots in jail.
I believe his parents are dead.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

• Technical
I believe his parents are dead.

You are right, says he was living with a "family friend". Hold this person accountable then, especially if it can be proven they knew this guy was making these sorts of threats.

Offline edpc

You are right, says he was living with a "family friend". Hold this person accountable then, especially if it can be proven they knew this guy was making these sorts of threats.

Prior to that, local authorities were very familiar with this family.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,304389.0.html

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Gun Control laws are simply laws that say "We can't stop someone from shooting up a school but we can stop you from legally defending yourself".
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
In case you haven't noticed, law abiding people are the ones being killed.  So, please, spare me the platitudes.

This is true.  And at some point, the number of law abiding people who feel (justifiably) threatened by a nation awash in some half a billion guns will outnumber the law abiding people who are too selfish to accept any restriction whatsoever on their hobby. 

This is Oceander's point -  be part of the solution now or be marginalized - and cede to the "other side" the content of our gun laws.    More to the point, the absolutist position will soon no longer be political tenable for either responsible conservatives or Republicans.   Indeed, the real danger is that the Dems will effectively use the absolutist position to smear the entire party,  and gain political hegemony in the process.  And then the RKBA will truly be at risk.   

What are the solutions?  Obviously,  there is no silver bullet (pun intended), and, like most complex problems, a multifaceted approach is required.  Some of the solutions proposed by the absolutists make sense,  such as placing armed security guards in schools.   But the hobbyists need to understand that a system of licensure, registration and insurance is needed for guns for the same reasons it is needed for motor vehicles.   Guns and cars are both useful and necessary implements,  as well as potentially deadly.  (Indeed the purpose of a firearm is to be deadly -  it is, for example, the equalizer for a small woman being threatened by a large man.)   But a regime of insurance, as it does with cars,  encourages both responsibility and safe practices and creates a system of compensation for the victims of gun violence.   If a legal gun owner must insure his arsenal, and be financially responsible for harm caused while in his custody,  he will be incentivized to inventory his guns, keep them away from others, and notify the police promptly when lost or stolen.   

There may be a host of other reasonable, efficacious solutions as well, that won't impact the natural and Constitutionally protected right of a father to protect his home and family against intruders,  or a woman to feel safe when out alone, or a sportsman to hunt and shoot, or a hobbyist to collect his treasures. 

But like Oceander says,  if you're not willing to be part of the solution, the solution won't include you.   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:47:33 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide