Author Topic: Texas mom dies from flu after skipping on meds deemed too costly  (Read 2815 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Texas mom dies from flu after skipping on meds deemed too costly
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 07:26:23 pm »
I bet she was sick during the first few weeks of starting work.  I've seen the same thing for people that work at wastewater treatment plants.  That shit (literally) is a constant mist that gets breathed in; you make it through the first couple of months and you're golden.

Blah.....that reminds me, though.  If anyone is going to Maryland for some reason, ask where the seafood came from, especially oysters and crabs, if you're dining out.  If they're local catches from Back River, decline.  The shellfish are plentiful, but the sewage treatment plant is near the source.  You're just asking for Hep A.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:27:08 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 07:43:03 pm »
My Mom worked in a hospital here entire life. ICU, OR, Recovery etc and was never sick a day in her life. There wasn't a germ made that could touch her.  It wasn't until she became a patient that the Doctors managed to killed her.
At age 69 my father had his second cancer surgery in 5 years. His surgeon told him the cancer could not be completely removed, so go home and enjoy the final few months of your life.

Within days he died, from some hospital borne germs. From the time they said he was infected, he died with about 48 hours. Very deadly stuff.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 02:54:50 pm »
@RoosGirl
@Freya

I didn't have time to answer both of your comments yesterday, as I had to go to the doctor to get meds refilled and he always takes blood so I had nothing to eat yesterday morning.  I had to do it as I was running out of hydrocodone (that opioid the govn. doesn't want me to have), plus other meds.  Yes, I was conscious of people sick with flu might be in there.  There were only three people in the waiting room and they were not coughing and I was not close to them.

So, I get in the back, blood pressure is taken and blood is taken; then doc, who is a slender, high powered active man breezes in, shakes my hand, and he looks over my chart.  He says you are really in good shape - I say good shape for being 84.  He says no, good shape for any person.  My blood pressure was 120-74, he listened to my heart and listened to lungs, said they are fine.  Checked my feet with a sticky thing which I could feel, no problem there.

THEN, I told him about my hands and showed him the $280 tube of steroid cream and said it looks like the skin is going to flake again on left hand.  He says, "I had that myself not long ago and I can give you a much cheaper steroid cream that I use."  So, he writes this new script.  He sent all the scripts to my Walgreens and gave me the hydrocodone ones as he can't send one of those due to it being an opioid.  I dropped it off at Walgreens and picked up it and four more meds in a few hours.

The new steroid cream is $50.99; with my insurance it is $9.47.  My left hand is worse today, so it is coming back and I'll use this cheaper cream to see if it works as well as the $77 one.

I don't use hand sanitizer, I don't wash dishes; I use a mild liquid soap to wash hands.  Hopefully, this cheaper cream will fix the hands.

Offline edpc

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 03:03:00 pm »
Just be careful what you say to your hands.  The steroids can make them moody.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 03:21:27 pm »
Just be careful what you say to your hands.  The steroids can make them moody.
@edpc

Thanks.  I'll watch the hands and make sure they don't act up and touch something they shouldn't.

Offline raml

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 03:23:53 pm »
I had a yearly exam coming up on the 27th of this month but my sister said I should change it the flu would probably kill me if I got this one and a doctors office is not to safe a place right now. She is a nurse and I am almost 73 and while in pretty good health not so sure anymore how my body would take the flu so I called Yesterday and the nurse said yes it would probably be a good Idea so I changed it to April. Last time I had the flu was in 1991 and before that 1968 a really bad year for the Asian flu and that one I was so sick with fever and aches and pains I had to crawl to the bathroom If I had anything like that now I doubt I could live through it. I am staying home a lot this year and my family makes sure they haven't any type of symptoms before they come visit. I don't want this flu.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 04:30:32 pm »
I had a yearly exam coming up on the 27th of this month but my sister said I should change it the flu would probably kill me if I got this one and a doctors office is not to safe a place right now. She is a nurse and I am almost 73 and while in pretty good health not so sure anymore how my body would take the flu so I called Yesterday and the nurse said yes it would probably be a good Idea so I changed it to April. Last time I had the flu was in 1991 and before that 1968 a really bad year for the Asian flu and that one I was so sick with fever and aches and pains I had to crawl to the bathroom If I had anything like that now I doubt I could live through it. I am staying home a lot this year and my family makes sure they haven't any type of symptoms before they come visit. I don't want this flu.
@raml
@RoosGirl
@Freya
@CatherineofAragon
@mystery-ak

Putting off your exam is a good idea.  If I had seen anyone "sick", as in coughing or blowing nose, or "looked" sick at doc's office, I would had dreaded being there.  I didn't touch anything in there, in front or in back, except my rear sitting in a seat but it was, of couse, covered by cloth.  I did SHAKE HANDS  with doc because he extended his hand - that was a bad thing to do.  If I get sick within 2-3-4 days, I'll post it here.

I have already had this flu going around.  Had it near the beginning when it started, around first of Dec.  Bob caught it, then I got it.  I was for sure sick, lost my voice for two weeks, couldn't speak over a whisper, and coughed for a month; after that much coughing for about two weeks and until I stopped coughing, my muscles involved in coughing, hurt like hell when I coughed.  I didn't go to doctor; took over the counter stuff for congestion, etc.

Stay home and don't get this.

Oh, yes, forgot to say this.  Last year, doc gave me a pneumonia shot because it was a new formula I would not be allergic to.  I can't take flu shot, am allergic to the carrier in those shots.

So, yesterday, he said he would give me the second pneumonia shot which is made of something that makes the pneumonia shot last forever. Never have to take one again.  My shoulder is very sore and could not sleep on that shoulder last night due to pressure made it hurt.  But, get that, NEVER have to take another one - protected from pneumonia forever.  You, @raml, and the rest of the people I pinged, need to get this first new pneumonia shot if you haven't, then get the other one whenever doc says you can take the next one, and you will be protected from pneumonia.  raml, at your age you need it for sure, as well as all oher adults should get those two shots.

A good friend of mine sent me a message four days ago - her son, in his early 30s, couldn't swallow and was sick, put in ICU due to pneumonia and they tried five different antibiotics and they didn't work, he was getting worse; day before yesterday, they did a culture to try to find something that would work. She sent me a message yesterday that he could at least swallow and sleep, but they still don't know what type he has, so no med yet.  We are praying for him, hoping he lives through this.

Get the new pneumonia shot.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 04:38:04 pm »
@raml
@RoosGirl
@Freya
@CatherineofAragon
@mystery-ak

Putting off your exam is a good idea.  If I had seen anyone "sick", as in coughing or blowing nose, or "looked" sick at doc's office, I would had dreaded being there.  I didn't touch anything in there, in front or in back, except my rear sitting in a seat but it was, of couse, covered by cloth.  I did SHAKE HANDS  with doc because he extended his hand - that was a bad thing to do.  If I get sick within 2-3-4 days, I'll post it here.

I have already had this flu going around.  Had it near the beginning when it started, around first of Dec.  Bob caught it, then I got it.  I was for sure sick, lost my voice for two weeks, couldn't speak over a whisper, and coughed for a month; after that much coughing for about two weeks and until I stopped coughing, my muscles involved in coughing, hurt like hell when I coughed.  I didn't go to doctor; took over the counter stuff for congestion, etc.

Stay home and don't get this.

Oh, yes, forgot to say this.  Last year, doc gave me a pneumonia shot because it was a new formula I would not be allergic to.  I can't take flu shot, am allergic to the carrier in those shots.

So, yesterday, he said he would give me the second pneumonia shot which is made of something that makes the pneumonia shot last forever. Never have to take one again.  My shoulder is very sore and could not sleep on that shoulder last night due to pressure made it hurt.  But, get that, NEVER have to take another one - protected from pneumonia forever.  You, @raml, and the rest of the people I pinged, need to get this first new pneumonia shot if you haven't, then get the other one whenever doc says you can take the next one, and you will be protected from pneumonia.  raml, at your age you need it for sure, as well as all oher adults should get those two shots.

A good friend of mine sent me a message four days ago - her son, in his early 30s, couldn't swallow and was sick, put in ICU due to pneumonia and they tried five different antibiotics and they didn't work, he was getting worse; day before yesterday, they did a culture to try to find something that would work. She sent me a message yesterday that he could at least swallow and sleep, but they still don't know what type he has, so no med yet.  We are praying for him, hoping he lives through this.

Get the new pneumonia shot.

@Victoria33
The pnemonia shot isn't the cure all.   As corny as it sounds the best defense against pneumonia is deep breathing.   Thats why they force you to do breathing exercises in the hospital.   

When people get sick we tend to breath more shallow, especially true of people in bed for long times.  This prevents your lungs from fully inflating.   The little air sacks in your lungs then dry out which makes them much more susceptible to bacteria.  Thats the explanation the doctors and nurses gave me when I was in the hospital and caught pneumonia, which makes 4 times for me.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:48 pm »
I got the 2nd pneumonia shot this year to and I couldn't raise my arm for two days....I don't want to scare anyone off from getting it because it will be well worth it.

I also got the flu shot and have not had it...I have felt poorly for the last 3 weeks..unless I am fighting it off.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
@Victoria33
The pnemonia shot isn't the cure all.   As corny as it sounds the best defense against pneumonia is deep breathing.   Thats why they force you to do breathing exercises in the hospital.   
@driftdiver
@mystery-ak

Note I said this is a new pneumonia shot - was only available starting last year, which is why he gave it to me since I would not be allergic to the ingredients in this one.

I agree we don't breathe deeply enough and likely less so when sick.  When I was training to be an EMT, we took a heart patient from a local hospital, by ambulance, to a heart hospital.  Since I was new in training, it was my job to take the vitals of this lady patient while in transit.  Believe me, an ambulance is a rocky ride when trying to take vitals.  I got her other vitals, then I needed to notate her breathing per minute. I could not do that as her breathing was so shallow, it was impossible to count.  When we got to hospital, I had to take another vitals before we loaded her out of ambulance.  I got the vitals, which were the same as when I took them in ambulance, but still could not count breathing.  When we got her in room, she was hooked up to an automatic vital counts machine.  My insructor turned to me and said, "Your vitals on this lady is exactly what this machine says."  I was amazed and in glory that I had "passed" this test of taking vitals while in a rocking ambulance.

Your message to breathe deeply is a good one - every part of the lungs is involved in breathing and lungs should be expanded with every breath.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:21 pm »
I got the 2nd pneumonia shot this year to and I couldn't raise my arm for two days....I don't want to scare anyone off from getting it because it will be well worth it.
I also got the flu shot and have not had it...I have felt poorly for the last 3 weeks..unless I am fighting it off.
@mystery-ak

The CDC said the flu shot this year is only 30% effective.  If you get worse, go to doc.  The lady this thread is about died in a week.  If you die, we have no forum  8888crybaby, so don't die.   My arm is major sore but that is better than pneumonia.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:10:34 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 05:24:40 pm »
@mystery-ak

The CDC said the flu shot this year is only 30% effective.  If you get worse, go to doc.  The lady this thread is about died in a week.  If you die, we have no forum  8888crybaby, so don't die.   My arm is major sore but that is better than pneumonia.

@Victoria33, I was thinking this year may not be any worse than any other year, just the media concern driving more people into doctors' offices, but I had a visit with the doctor yesterday and asked him what he has seen.  He said he thought it was much worse, with 10x the number of people coming in to see him. 

I was very careful in the office, and hope that I didn't get anything either.   

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 05:33:58 pm »
@Victoria33, I was very careful in the office, and hope that I didn't get anything either.
@Sanguine

In our Catholic church, there is a part of the service where we greet people around us by shaking hands.  Three or four weeks ago, all Catholic churches in this diocese, stopped the shaking hands part.  That won't start again until after flu season is gone.  When we go to church, we remain aware of anyone coughing and don't go near them.  Sick people should stay home.  When I had the flu earlier, I was so sick, I wouldn't have gone anywhere.

Offline edpc

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:22 pm »
In our Catholic church, there is a part of the service where we greet people around us by shaking hands.

This outbreak kind of changes the greeting, doesn't it?

'Peace be with you - and don't get the flu.'

Offline edpc

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 08:45:54 pm »
Here's why healthy people really die from the flu

In all three cases, there’s a common denominator— a lethal, often- overlooked complication of influenza (as well as other illnesses), one that kills as many as 500,000 Americans every year: sepsis.

At its simplest, sepsis is an overreaction — a response to an infection that’s too extreme and subsequently makes things worse. More specifically, it’s the result of an excess of “inflammatory mediators” (cells meant to fight infection) entering the bloodstream and sending the body into overdrive. 

This abundance of inflammation in the body triggers what scientists call a “cascade of changes” that cause tissue damage, organ failure, and ultimately — if not caught early enough — death. While sepsis — or more specifically septic shock (the most severe stage) — is not the only life-threatening complication of this flu, it’s one that can be stopped in its tracks if it’s caught early.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/heres-healthy-people-really-die-flu-163140246.html

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:07 pm »
@Sanguine

In our Catholic church, there is a part of the service where we greet people around us by shaking hands.  Three or four weeks ago, all Catholic churches in this diocese, stopped the shaking hands part.  That won't start again until after flu season is gone.  When we go to church, we remain aware of anyone coughing and don't go near them.  Sick people should stay home.  When I had the flu earlier, I was so sick, I wouldn't have gone anywhere.

Tell me about it what a Bunch of Chicken shits.   When extending the sign of peace during our Mass we have take to giving the "Fist Bump".  I never cottoned to the holding hands thing during the Our Father for all I care they can end that like permanently.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:28 pm »
In our Catholic church, there is a part of the service where we greet people around us by shaking hands. 

A lot of churches do that.
I HATE that part.
Nervous flatulence is SUCH a burden.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2018, 10:37:40 pm »
A lot of churches do that.
I HATE that part.
Nervous flatulence is SUCH a burden.

You know why I hate that part?  Because to a person they seem more interested in shaking as many hands as they can and instead of looking you in the eye while greeting you they are already looking for the next person.  I'm a shit so I started not letting go of their hands until they actually looked at me.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2018, 10:42:18 pm »
An interesting tidbit tracked back from her husband's facebook page (I didn't stalk them, someone else posted the link to this on FB)- Apparently the wife was big into a couple of MLM treatments- essential oils and some sort of vitamin patch. She was told those could cure her by her friends pushing those products. That's actually why she didn't buy the medicine. Her husband went a day later and bought her the Tamiflu but it was too late and her fever was too high and damaged her kidneys and other organs.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2018, 11:47:22 pm »
An interesting tidbit tracked back from her husband's facebook page (I didn't stalk them, someone else posted the link to this on FB)- Apparently the wife was big into a couple of MLM treatments- essential oils and some sort of vitamin patch. She was told those could cure her by her friends pushing those products. That's actually why she didn't buy the medicine. Her husband went a day later and bought her the Tamiflu but it was too late and her fever was too high and damaged her kidneys and other organs.

I've learned the hard way that it pays to take care of yourself.

It took nearly dying to figure that out.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 11:59:22 pm »

That is interesting. Essential oils and vitamins are not substitute for good medical care or medications when you need them.  And don't take medical advice from MLM's or from wack sites like The Health Ranger at NaturalNews.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 12:00:41 am »
Tell me about it what a Bunch of Chicken shits.   When extending the sign of peace during our Mass we have take to giving the "Fist Bump".  I never cottoned to the holding hands thing during the Our Father for all I care they can end that like permanently.

I was reading something a few years ago about the kum ba ya fiasco the Our Father has turned into with the hand holding. I think it was about how we’re not supposed to do that. We’ve instructed our kids to fold their hands together, but when we’re with my mother-in-law she wants to grab one of their hands. Maybe @don-o or @Mrs Don-o could instruct us further?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline edpc

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2018, 12:03:41 am »
I was jonesing for my favorite buffet spot this past weekend.  It’ll have to wait awhile.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2018, 12:12:27 am »
I was jonesing for my favorite buffet spot this past weekend.  It’ll have to wait awhile.

You'll probably have forgotten about how sick this thread made you by then, don't you think?

Offline edpc

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2018, 12:15:05 am »
You'll probably have forgotten about how sick this thread made you by then, don't you think?

I’ll try not to think about this or the cow eyeball worm thread, either..... :nono: