Author Topic: High school science fair project questioning African American intelligence sparks outrage  (Read 562 times)

Offline Suppressed

High school science fair project questioning African American intelligence sparks outrage
BY DIANA LAMBERT AND ANITA CHABRIA
dlambert@sacbee.com
February 10, 2018 12:00 AM   Updated 45 minutes ago
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article199440204.html

Students, parents and staff at C.K. McClatchy High School are upset over a science fair project by a student in its elite magnet program that questioned whether certain races of people lack the intelligence to handle the program’s academically challenging coursework.

Some of those outraged by the racially charged project say it points to a larger problem: the lack of ethnic diversity in the school’s elite HISP program.

The project that started the controversy was titled “Race and IQ.” It raised the hypothesis: “If the average IQs of blacks, Southeast Asians, and Hispanics are lower than the average IQs of non-Hispanic whites and Northeast Asians, then the racial disproportionality in (HISP) is justified.”

The project was put on display with others on Monday afternoon to be judged by a team of community members as part of the fourth annual Mini Science Fair. It was removed Wednesday morning after students, parents and staff complained. The science fair was open to students and parents.

[...]

She said the student who prepared the report has a history of making racist remarks in class. He is described by peers as a boy of Asian descent and a participant in the accelerated Humanities and International Studies program, or HISP. The Sacramento Bee did not speak to the student and is not identifying the minor.

The HISP program is designed to promote cultural awareness and sensitivity. Often, it includes alternative viewpoints on history. For example, one HISP student said that while learning about Christopher Columbus, students also learned about “the Indian genocide” and the perspective of Native Americans on white settlers.

[...]

The McClatchy student tested his race and intelligence hypothesis by having a handful of unidentified teens of various races take an online intelligence test.

His report concluded that, “the lower average IQs of blacks, Southeast Asians, and nonwhite Hispanics means that they are not as likely as non-Hispanic whites and Northeast Asians to be accepted into a more academically rigorous program such as HISP. Therefore, the racial disproportionality of HISP is justified.”

[...]

Brown said Thursday night she received a call from an African American student at McClatchy who said the incident made her feel “unsafe and uneasy.”

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Politically Correct Science:

DNA accounts for differences in hair, eye, skin color. Differences in height, weight, etc.

But all people have the same intelligence. In spite of science to the contrary, repeat all people have the same intelligence.

This way everybody can feel good about themselves, get along, play midnight basketball.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

Took you long enough to show up. 

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
When you go to the article and see what this supposed brainiac kid turned in, it should have been tossed out just for being a crummy and sloppy presentation regardless of content.  If he’d done a better job and included some actual data to support it, even if controversial and even if I don’t agree, I’d say he’d have a leg to stand on.

And if you are going to state a hypothesis about IQ, instead of just sloppily taping some poorly cut out Word docs with opinions and conclusions, where are the graphs, figures, charts to support it? FAIL!
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Frank Cannon

I'm not a big fan of this kids project, but I really enjoyed his entry last year "How The Jews Control the World".

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
I'm not a big fan of this kids project, but I really enjoyed his entry last year "How The Jews Control the World".

:beer:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It's a fair question though isn't it?

Just because you wish it weren't true doesn't mean it isn't.

Offline bolobaby

If someone submitted a project about how woman had higher IQ than men, no one would bat an eyelash.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Frank Cannon

If someone submitted a project about how woman had higher IQ than men, no one would bat an eyelash.

I think this kids premise and yours are equally flawed.

Offline dfwgator

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
To bad, whiteys.
Looks like Asia wins:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:51:31 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The title lies about the content of the article.

The articles talks about differences in races.

African American is not a race.

Sacramento Bee is fomenting racism on purpose as it does not refute the facts displayed either.

The real question to ask is why is the disparity of average racial IQs happening instead of the responses received to "Shut it down".
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

The title lies about the content of the article.

The articles talks about differences in races.

African American is not a race.

Sacramento Bee is fomenting racism on purpose as it does not refute the facts displayed either.

The real question to ask is why is the disparity of average racial IQs happening instead of the responses received to "Shut it down".

I would love a straightforward, honest answer to the question of why there seems to be the disparity.  But that will never happen, so we're left with some people shouting down the results, some people saying the results are rigged and some people using the results as an excuse for their bigotry.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
And all their  proof would be in the form of TV commercials.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I have seen these IQ things before, the question I have maybe racist or not. Is the lower scores a matter of education or genetics? Yes, I understand some poorer regions of the world have lower educational standards, but that does not equate that the kids are dumber. If given the same educational opportunities with some home life stability, would all races score the same? Is that racist to ask, well if so, then I claim guilty. I really would wish people would settle this question once and for all. Is IQ just a matter of education or does genetics actually play a part of it?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:09:54 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....