Author Topic: The origins of college snowflakes  (Read 355 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The origins of college snowflakes
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:15:51 pm »
by Mason McKie | Feb 9, 2018, 1:58 PM
While the debate over free speech and intellectual diversity on campus has been raging for the past few years, its origin remains a mystery to most. Much of the public believes that college students are transformed into mindless zombies — which is accurate — but it is still up for debate whether kids are turned in college or if the underlying problem starts much earlier.

While students in college often become more liberal due to the tutelage of their professors, this vulnerability to liberal brainwashing stems from a lack of basic understanding when it comes to government and politics. Most would agree that college students should have a basic understanding of the U.S. political system by the time they enter college, and many would argue a basic understanding of comparative politics as well. However, students nowadays are taught what to think instead of how to think. Evidence-based conclusions are thrown out the window and facts don’t necessarily matter. What only seems to matter is finding and living “your truth.” If students don’t have a sound understanding, then the chances of them immune to liberalism taught in the college classroom is far less.

Charlie Kirk, the founder of Turning Point USA, penned an essay in 2012 that blamed the growing attacks on free speech and lack of intellectual diversity on one simple thing: high school economics textbooks. In his essay, Kirk wrote: “Our public education system is supposedly one without bias, a place where any student can come and learn without any form of partisanship. Instead, our classrooms are slowly becoming political lecture halls with teachers being pawns to further the doctrine of liberalism and ‘equality.’”

Kirk went on to explain that both teachers and textbooks present vast distortions from fact and reality.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/the-origins-of-college-snowflakes/article/2648670
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."