Author Topic: Deaths, injuries reported after Amtrak, CSX trains collide in South Carolina  (Read 1263 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
At least two people were killed early Sunday when an Amtrak passenger train collided with a CSX freight train in South Carolina.

About 50 people were transported from the scene with injuries, according to the Lexington County Sheriff's Office.

The collision occured about 2:35 a.m. in Cayce, S.C., near Charleston Highway and Pine Ridge Road, authorities said.

The Amtrak train was No. 91, traveling between New York and Miami. The Amtrak train's lead engine derailed, as did some passenger cars, an Amtrak statement said.

The passenger train had eight crew members and approximately 139 passengers aboard.

No immediate information was available about the CSX train.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/04/amtrak-csx-trains-collide-in-south-carolina-injuries-reported.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
http://abcnews.go.com/US/amtrak-passenger-train-collides-freight-train-sc-injuries/story?id=52826058

At least 2 dead, 70 injured after Amtrak train collides with freight train in South Carolina
By David Caplan and C. Han

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

Things haven't been too good for Amtrak lately. 

Prayers up for the dead and injured.

Offline ConstitutionRose

My granddaughter and I used to travel between Florida and NC on a train be a use her parents were afraid to let her fly.  Amtrak has had a rough time lately.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Two dead and 70 passengers are injured as Amtrak train smashes into freight carriages in South Carolina
Daily Mail/UK, Feb 4, 2018

At least two people have died and dozens more are seriously injured after a passenger train smashed into freight carriages in South Carolina.

Officials said more than 70 people had been transported to local hospitals after the Amtrak service flew off the line. Several of those injured suffered broken bones. It's still unclear if any of the passengers are being treated for life-threatening injuries.

The crash occurred around 2.30am when the Amtrak service, traveling between New York and Miami, collided with the CSX freight train, which was carrying diesel.

The train company said that 139 passengers and eight members of crew were on board at the time and emergency services were currently treating the injured.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5349815/Amtrak-train-smashes-freight-South-Carolina.html#ixzz569UpoPs1

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
2 dead, 116 injured in South Carolina Amtrak crash - live updates
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 05:07:17 pm »
2 dead, 116 injured in South Carolina Amtrak crash - live updates

Last Updated Feb 4, 2018 11:29 AM EST

CAYCE, S.C. -- At least two people were killed and 116 others injured when a train traveling from New York to Miami struck a freight train Sunday morning, authorities said. The crash left thousands of gallons of oil spilled at the scene near Columbia, South Carolina.

The two people killed were later identified as Amtrak personnel, South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster said in a news conference Sunday.

The collision occurred in Cayce around 2:45 a.m. Sunday, Lexington County spokesperson Harrison Cahill said. He said the injuries ranged from scratches to broken bones.

More at:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtrak-train-crash-south-carolina-2-dead-live-updates-today-2018-02-04/
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: 2 dead, 116 injured in South Carolina Amtrak crash - live updates
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 05:07:37 pm »
Oh, Crap!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 05:12:51 pm »
This is no way to run a railroad.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »
This is no way to run a railroad.

Or two railroads.  I'm surprised there aren't more casualties reported right off the bat, this was no garbage truck, it was a freight train.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

My granddaughter and I used to travel between Florida and NC on a train be a use her parents were afraid to let her fly.  Amtrak has had a rough time lately.

I rode Amtrak only once -- roundtip Pittsburgh to Washington, DC and return.  Coming back the train was stopped for 4 hours while "something was being removed from the tracks" according to the official announcement.  Found out the next day that something was a body.  Some guy had reported for jury duty and after the lunch break, he never came back.  Suicide by train. 

Other than that,  I enjoyed train travel.   Just too bad our service is so sparse.  Departures are either during the wee hours of the morning or in the evening.  Nothing in between.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Again???? Another conductor texting while conducting?

Online mountaineer

Other than that,  I enjoyed train travel.   Just too bad our service is so sparse.
Agreed, that's one thing I enjoy doing when we visit Europe. In the U.S., I've ridden Amtrak between St. Louis and Chicago a few times, and once between St. Louis and Pittsburgh. These accidents are so preventable, seems to me.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

Agreed, that's one thing I enjoy doing when we visit Europe. In the U.S., I've ridden Amtrak between St. Louis and Chicago a few times, and once between St. Louis and Pittsburgh. These accidents are so preventable, seems to me.

Not enough funding to upgrade to them.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

No way to run a railroad: Three fatal AMTRAK crashes in 49 days
American Thinker, Feb 4, 2018, Thomas Lifson

It would appear that something is seriously wrong with the way passenger rail is operating in the United States under the federal corporation AMTRAK. This crash is the third fatal AMTRAK crash since the AMTRAK Cascades train derailed in Washington State at the cost of 3 lives and 62 passenger injuries only 49 days ago.  Last Wednesday’s crash in Virginia of a train carrying Congressional Republicans to a retreat killed one. And now, the South Carolina crash has killed at least two.

Each of these three accidents had a separate, probably preventable cause, though of course official verdicts await formal proceedings.

The Washington State crash was due to excessive speed going into a curve.

The Virginia crash was due to a garbage truck on a grade crossing being hit by a train. There were some media reports that a crossing barrier that should have prevented access as a train approached was not functioning, but that is not absolutely clear as the cause.

The South Carolina crash was due to two trains being placed on the same track – something that should not happen with the level of sophisticated signaling available to dispatchers.

More: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/02/no_way_to_run_a_railroad_three_fatal_amtrak_crashes_in_49_days.html

Offline Applewood

It's a quasi-government operation.  Government doesn't care if Amtrak succeeds or fails, doesn't care about actually looking for the causes of these accidents and implementing proper procedures to ensure the public's safety.  It just wants more and more of our tax dollars to pour down the rabbit hole.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I rode Amtrak only once -- roundtip Pittsburgh to Washington, DC and return.  Coming back the train was stopped for 4 hours while "something was being removed from the tracks" according to the official announcement.  Found out the next day that something was a body.  Some guy had reported for jury duty and after the lunch break, he never came back.  Suicide by train. 

Other than that,  I enjoyed train travel.   Just too bad our service is so sparse.  Departures are either during the wee hours of the morning or in the evening.  Nothing in between.

Last time I rode, both trains I took were 5-6 hours behind schedule.  In Tucson they took the Phoenix-bound people off the train and loaded us up on buses for the final leg because there was a derail in Gila Bend.  "By the time we got to Phoenix," we were on schedule.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Jiminy!  We made the trip dozens of times over the years, no mishaps and the train on time or within minutes.  A roomette is the way to go.  It gave us 13 hours together to talk and reconnect.  Less hassle than flying,  Right now I'd opt for flying though.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Question for everyone:
What are YOU usually doing at 2.30am...?

This looks to have been a head-on crash at considerable speed.
Somebody dozed off and missed a signal.

Looking at the pic in post 5 above, can't really get a perspective on where the control points are here. You can see what looks to be a signal towards the upper left, where the auto rack cars curve out of sight. It's displaying amber -- "approach". That may actually be an "intermediate" signal between the control points.

Looks like the Amtrak engine rode right up over the top of the leading CSX unit (if that IS the lead unit), then fell to the left.

The forums at railroad.net may have more info, but I haven't bothered to go there yet.

Offline kevindavis007

I have always believed that Amtrak should either be shutdown or privatized.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline dfwgator

Passenger trains make much more sense in Europe than in the US, since they are more compact with a much denser population.  So much easier to take trains there than planes.

Offline Applewood

I have always believed that Amtrak should either be shutdown or privatized.

At one time, the railroads were privately owned.  But government came along to "save" them because allegedly the railroads were losing money.  Government said it could operate the railroads cheaper and more efficiently.    Yeah, right!

Did the same with public transit in the cities.  At one time, my neck of the woods had 2 private bus companies operating till late night or even 24 hours a day in some locations.  One by one the private companies were gobbled up by a county system that proceeded to run public transit into the ground.  High fares, dwindling service and perennially broke. 

Government was meant to organize and operate a military period.  It was not meant to operate a business because it doesn't know how to successfully operate a business. Only private enterprise should operate a business.  Government should butt out.

Offline Fishrrman

http://www.wral.com/south-carolina-train-crash-leaves-at-least-2-dead-50-hurt/17312782/

"CAYCE, S.C. — An Amtrak passenger train slammed into a parked freight train in the early-morning darkness Sunday after a thrown switch sent it hurtling down a side track, authorities said. Two Amtrak crew members were killed, and more than 100 people were injured."

OK, things are becoming a little clearer now.

Freight train was stopped on a non-controlled siding.
It was sitting there parked, without a crew.
This is signaled territory, but I read that due to work, a "signal suspension" was in place. This means the signals would be "dark" (turned off), and trains would run "with track warrants" (sheet of paper telling crews what to do).

Normally in signaled territory, an open switch puts the signal prior to the switch "to the red", and the Amtrak train would then reduce to "restricted" speed, prepared to stop short of an open switch.

But the signal system was "out of service" here. The signals literally "go dark". This means the engineer on the Amtrak train would have no indication that a switch might be open ahead. He would only know when he -saw it in front of him-.

When the signal system is out-of-service, trains have to run at a reduced speed. In this case, about 59mph or so. But that still doesn't leave much time to react to suddenly seeing a switch "on the red!" in front of you. Especially if it's on a curve or there's fog out. (Additional info: train was moving at 57mph just prior to impact, according to GPS)

And -- for some reason -- this switch was open -- lining the Amtrak train right down the siding into the freight train. Again, with NO ADVANCE WARNING.

So, the guy running the Amtrak train -- probably a little on the tired side at 2.30am -- is "running on paper", trying to keep alert, watching ahead, and then.... THERE'S A SWITCH ON THE RED! right in front of him.

If he reacted in time, all he could do was "dump it" (put the brakes into emergency) and hang on to see what happens next.

And from the pics, you can see what happened next.

Questions:
Why was the switch open?
Who left it open?
Did the train dispatcher know?

Hmmm... here's some more info (copied from railroad.net):
====
Robert Sumwalt (NTSB Chairman) noted at the 4pm press briefing that the switch which Amtrak 91 took was still lined and locked (the padlock was still on it) to route traffic into the siding. https://www.grasswire.com/2018/02/04/tw ... ns-collide

The CSX train had unloaded cars at the autorack facility just to the southwest of the collision location and was backed into the siding before 91 passed through. They've recovered the Amtrak front-facing video camera, but neither EDR from either Amtrak or CSX due to the condition of the two locomotives (yet).

====

So there's why the switch was open:
The freight train had "pulled by" the switch and then backed in.
But... NOBODY BOTHERED TO CLOSE THE SWITCH.
It was LOCKED in the open position !!

Worth shouting:
AMTRAK APPEARS TO HAVE NO FAULT IN THIS (at least as far as I can see).
Presuming he had "good paper" in his hand, the engineer did nothing wrong.
In fact, he'd probably receive a BIG cash settlement from the railroad if he survived.
But from the look of the front of the engine, that doesn't look good.
A modern-day Casey Jones.
Died with the orders in his hands.

And by the way, this happened in Cayce, SC..!

Some drone footage:
! No longer available

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@Fishrrman could this have been deliberate sabotage?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fishrrman

"@Fishrrman could this have been deliberate sabotage?"

No.
Almost certainly not.
The switch (which probably has a high-security RR lock) was locked open.
You can't do it without the proper key.