Author Topic: Coffee may come with a cancer warning in California  (Read 1132 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Coffee may come with a cancer warning in California
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:23:23 pm »
If a lawsuit currently being evaluated by a California court goes a certain way, coffee shops and coffee-selling gas stations may be forced post labels about potential cancer-causing chemicals. They may even have to pay fines if they don't warn customers about the risks of chemicals in coffee.

The Council for Education and Research on Toxics — the group behind the lawsuit — wants to penalize companies that don't warn customers that coffee contains acrylamide, a chemical that California lists as one "known to cause cancer."

Acrylamide naturally forms when plants and grains are cooked at high temperatures. It's created in the process known as the maillard reaction, in which high heat transforms sugars and amino acids in ways that change flavor and tend to brown food. When potatoes, bread, biscuits, or coffee are heated, acrylamide forms.

But there's no conclusive reason to believe that coffee or other foods expose humans to dangerous levels of acrylamide. And there's no known way to make coffee without acrylamide.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-coffee-drinking-affects-cancer-risk-acrylamide-2018-1
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline dfwgator

Re: Coffee may come with a cancer warning in California
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:27:58 pm »

"....'the tingling fresh coffee which brings you exciting new cholera, mange, dropsy, the clap, hard pad and athlete's head. From the House of Conquistador'.

! No longer available

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:23:14 am »
When the hell is California gonna put Health Danger Warnings on Voting Democrat?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:52:12 am »
There are serious side effects from usage of marijuana, and I believe we are witnessing some.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:59:56 am »
I’m a cancer patient- March 4 will be my three year tumor removal anniversary. If I had lived in Cali, would I have been able to sue somebody because my tumor didn’t have a cancer warning label? :shrug:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:04:09 am »
I wonder if all the colonic clinics in CA that offer coffee enemas will have to post the same warning.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 01:07:07 am »
I wonder if all the colonic clinics in CA that offer coffee enemas will have to post the same warning.

You're full of shit?

Offline WingNot

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 01:09:09 am »
You're full of shit?

Damn you!  9999hair out0000 I just spit out my after dinner cancer causing cup of coffee..

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 01:10:31 am »
Damn you!  9999hair out0000 I just spit out my after dinner cancer causing cup of coffee..

I just saved your life. You're welcome.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 01:12:13 am »
You're full of shit?

You're asking a question that you already know the answer to.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 01:12:20 am »

Coffee enemas. Really??? Are the espresso enemas smaller and stronger?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline WingNot

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 01:14:40 am »
I just saved your life. You're welcome.
Don't think I won't forget it either.  :cool:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 01:15:01 am »

You'll have to ask Dr. Axe.

https://draxe.com/coffee-enema/

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 01:15:08 am »

Yeah. They use those on tight asses.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 01:15:42 am »
Don't think I won't forget it either.  :cool:

Oh good, you get to read more of my posts!

Offline anubias

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 01:19:48 am »
If a lawsuit currently being evaluated by a California court goes a certain way, coffee shops and coffee-selling gas stations may be forced post labels about potential cancer-causing chemicals. They may even have to pay fines if they don't warn customers about the risks of chemicals in coffee.

The Council for Education and Research on Toxics — the group behind the lawsuit — wants to penalize companies that don't warn customers that coffee contains acrylamide, a chemical that California lists as one "known to cause cancer."

Acrylamide naturally forms when plants and grains are cooked at high temperatures. It's created in the process known as the maillard reaction, in which high heat transforms sugars and amino acids in ways that change flavor and tend to brown food. When potatoes, bread, biscuits, or coffee are heated, acrylamide forms.

But there's no conclusive reason to believe that coffee or other foods expose humans to dangerous levels of acrylamide. And there's no known way to make coffee without acrylamide.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-coffee-drinking-affects-cancer-risk-acrylamide-2018-1

I’m not a scientist, but I am able to comprehend basic math.  Maillard reactions occur after 230 degrees.  The reaction can be achieved if cooked at longer intervals at lower temps.  I don’t know about coffee makers in Kali, but those in TX generally work fairly quickly and run at less than boiling point which is 210.  I highly doubt there is much Maillard reaction going on with the coffee.  Certainly not enough for me to want to do without my coffee or desire a warning about it causing cancer.

My verdict:  They’re effin’ nuts!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 01:23:14 am »
California needs to come with a cancer warning. The term "the lower 48" should be changed to something that reflects sanity.

This may be a great opportunity for another of @corbe's polls.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 01:23:23 am »
I’m not a scientist, but I am able to comprehend basic math.  Maillard reactions occur after 230 degrees.  The reaction can be achieved if cooked at longer intervals at lower temps.  I don’t know about coffee makers in Kali, but those in TX generally work fairly quickly and run at less than boiling point which is 210.  I highly doubt there is much Maillard reaction going on with the coffee.  Certainly not enough for me to want to do without my coffee or desire a warning about it causing cancer.

I believe they're talking about the roasting of the beans though, prior to the drink brewing.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 01:23:41 am »

[snip]

This is what they spend those economy wrecking taxes they collect on.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 01:36:47 am »
Yeah. They use those on tight asses.

Once you go black...
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DB

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 01:39:34 am »
California needs to come with a cancer warning... The liberal tumor is eating the state...

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 01:55:31 am »
California needs to come with a cancer warning... The liberal tumor is eating the state...

At this point, cancer is petitioning the FDA for a California warning.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 02:00:58 am »
You see these flat earth idiots.

The east coast and the left coast are definitely below the horizon.

In direct correlation to Pavlov's dog Bell curve.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 02:25:01 am »
There are serious side effects from usage of marijuana, and I believe we are witnessing some.
What are those side effects, and based on what quantity of use? Cite the study please.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline WingNot

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 02:35:41 am »
What are those side effects, and based on what quantity of use? Cite the study please.

Wow.  You really don't get it do you?