Author Topic: Virginia Tech student arrested for possession of assault rifle, attempted to buy 5,000 rounds of amm  (Read 426 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Virginia Tech student arrested for possession of assault rifle, attempted to buy 5,000 rounds of ammo, police say
Matthew Diebel, USATODAY

Yunsong Zhao, a student at Virginia Tech, has been arrested for possessing an assault rifle and trying to buy 5,000 rounds of ammunition.(Photo: Montgomery County Sheriff)

A freshman at Virginia Tech, where a gunman killed 32 people in 2007, has been arrested for possessing an assault rifle, according to local media, He also tried to buy 5,000 rounds of ammunition, police said.

In court documents seen by local TV station WDBJ, police said Yunsong Zhao, a 19-year-old student from China, also was researching bulletproof vests and had bought a former police car and outfitted it with special bumpers.

Read more at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/01/31/virginia-tech-freshman-arrested-possesion-had-assault-rifle-attempted-buy-5-000-rounds-ammo-police-s/1081975001/

The next paragraph goes on to state, he is not even a citizen here.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Everytime i hear about VT it reminds me that most of the kids shot were hiding under their desks.  Waiting for the shooter to go desk to desk, reloading, as he shot each one.

If a single one had fought back the death toll would likely have been lower. 

They didn't fight back because their parents and the schools had been training them for years NOT to fight back.  That defending yourself is wrong.

It breaks my heart.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online mountaineer

According to the complaint, Virginia Tech police said they were alerted to Zhao after he bought a 30-round rifle magazine on January 22 and Bushmaster XM-15 semiautomatic rifle on January 25.
Assault rifle?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline driftdiver

Assault rifle?

So how did the police know he bought a rifle.  Do they monitor every purchase this closely?

If he's a legal resident then the purchase was likely legal.  Which is why he was able to do it.   So now he's arrested for not breaking the law?

Online mountaineer

This college student had some money in his pocket. According to the Bushmaster website, the cheapest model  is nearly $900.

Offline driftdiver

This college student had some money in his pocket. According to the Bushmaster website, the cheapest model  is nearly $900.

@mountaineer
A lot of rich Chinese send their kids to American universities.   They aren't struggling to pay the rent.

Online mountaineer

Foreign National Arrested At Virginia Tech With Illegal 'Assault Firearm,' Bought Cop Car, Tried To Buy 5,000 Rounds Of Ammo
Officials claim there was no threat...
By Ryan Saavedra
January 31, 2018

Law enforcement officials arrested a Chinese foreign national attending Virginia Tech on Tuesday for illegally possessing an "assault firearm" without being a U.S. citizen after he was caught trying to purchase 5,000 rounds of ammunition and had bought a used police patrol car and researched bulletproof vests.

The investigation, which lasted several weeks, ended with authorities charging Zhao with "one count of possessing an assault firearm without having U.S. citizenship," CBS News reported.

Zhao, whose family is in China, was living in Blacksburg, Virginia for approximately six months when he was arrested. Police said that "Zhao also purchased a former police vehicle outfitted with special bumpers and had been researching bulletproof vests."  ...   More at Daily Wire.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
After the way, the guy Cho shot up Virginia Tech, color me alarmed as well. Yes, we don't wish to give up any of our freedoms, that is acknowledged.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What's with hostile Asians and VA Tech?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
When you think about your average [deleted] Slant eyed college student, an interest in guns seems a bit out of character.   This kid must part of a sleeper cell.  Maybe a Nork agent.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:47:55 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

In court documents seen by local TV station WDBJ, police said Yunsong Zhao, a 19-year-old student from China, also was researching bulletproof vests and had bought a former police car and outfitted it with special bumpers.

Is he picking his brother up from Joliet prison?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
He also owns an F-150 pickup which he was keeping at the unofficial international apartment complex, Foxridge.
The vest is disturbing. There is no need for that in Blacksburg.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The little perp:

Offline edpc

Kid should have spent his money more wisely.