Author Topic: Marijuana: is it time to stop using a word with racist roots?  (Read 469 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Marijuana: is it time to stop using a word with racist roots?
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:38:58 pm »
As marijuana arrests disproportionately affect minorities, controversy grows over a term prohibitionists hoped would appeal to xenophobia

It’s been known as dope, grass, herb, gage, tea, reefer, chronic. But the most familiar name for the dried buds of the cannabis plant, and one of the few older terms still in use today, is “marijuana”.

For the prohibitionists of nearly a century ago, the exotic-sounding word emphasized the drug’s foreignness to white Americans and appealed to the xenophobia of the time. As with other racist memes, a common refrain was that marijuana would lead to miscegenation.

Harry Anslinger, the bureaucrat who led the prohibition effort, is credited as saying back then: “There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.”

Today “cannabis” and “marijuana” are terms used more or less interchangeably in the industry, but a vocal contingent prefers the less historically fraught “cannabis”. At a time of intense interest in past injustices, some say “marijuana” is a racist word that should fall out of use.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/29/marijuana-name-cannabis-racism
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Marijuana: is it time to stop using a word with racist roots?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:50:38 pm »
"This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and Methodists."
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 01:55:13 pm »
Reefer Madness

! No longer available
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:56:26 pm by Neverdul »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 01:55:49 pm »
"This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and Methodists."

Methodists?  Ah Prairie Shit.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:57:48 pm »
But while companies build out multi-million dollar grow houses and edibles factories, huge numbers of people continue to face serious consequences for possessing negligible quantities. After legalization in Colorado, arrests of black and Latino juveniles for illegal possession increased.

So they are upset that kids smoking pot are getting busted. I guess they should make things fair and pass out pot with the school lunches.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »
:facepalm2: