Author Topic: Dems block 20-week abortion ban  (Read 1178 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems block 20-week abortion ban
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:23:59 pm »
Dems block 20-week abortion ban
By Jessie Hellmann - 01/29/18 06:19 PM EST

Democrats blocked a bill on Monday that would ban most abortions after 20 weeks, a blow to anti-abortion groups that considered its passage a top priority for Congress in 2018.

The bill, authored by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), was unable to get the 60 votes necessary to end a filibuster and proceed to a vote, meaning the bill is effectively dead in the upper chamber.

Graham's bill had little chance of passing the Senate, where Republicans hold a slim 51-49 majority. It sailed through the House on a party-line vote, 237-189, in October.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/371269-dems-block-20-week-abortion-ban
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Dems block 20-week abortion ban
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:58 pm »
Vote them out!  Every last one of the stinking bastards!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 12:07:02 am »
Unbelievable ... 20 weeks is well beyond the first trimester and is about 5 months into the pregnancy.  Take a look at the picture ... I have tears right now ... I can't imagine ... how could anyone vote to allow abortions after 20 weeks?  In medical terms, the end of the embryonic period and beginning of the fetal period is at week 10!! I  find this very disturbing, sickening and so very sad.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:23:11 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:18:33 am »
Surprise Surprise!                       NOT
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:24:23 am »
The Dems infanticide continues...

Month 4: Waistline starts to disappear

month 4Baby
The baby's skin in pink, somewhat transparent and is covered with fine hair called lanugo. His tiny fingernails are now visible. The baby's face continues to develop. Eyebrows and eyelashes begin to appear in this month. Buds on the side of the head begin to form into the outer ear and he can hear your voice now.

The tail has disappeared from the fetus and the head makes up about half of the baby's size. The baby's neck is long enough to lift the head from the body. The baby moves, kicks, sleeps, wakes, swallows, and passes urine. By the end of the fourth month, your baby will be 5 to 6 inches (13 to 15 cm) crown to rump in length and weigh about 5 ounces (about 140 grams).

more
http://www.baby2see.com/development/month4.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:33:54 am »

We need to work together to vote more of our in.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 01:09:15 am »
neontaster@neontaster
6 hours ago

Why do people continue to act like a post 20 week abortion ban is somehow unique or controversial? There are only 7 countries including the US that permit them, and 3 of those 7 ban them after 24 weeks. That puts us in the grand company of China, Vietnam, and North Korea...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 01:30:32 am »

Statement by President Donald J.
Trump on the Senate’s Failure to
Advance the Pain-Capable Unborn
Child Protection Act

Issued on: January 29, 2018 

Recently, when I addressed the 45th annual March for Life, I called on the Senate to pass the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, important legislation that would protect our most vulnerable. It is disappointing that despite support from a bipartisan majority of U.S. Senators, this bill was blocked from further consideration. Scientific studies have demonstrated that babies in the womb feel pain at twenty weeks. The vote by the Senate rejects scientific fact and puts the United States out of the mainstream in the family of nations, in which only 7 out of 198 nations, including China and North Korea, allow elective abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. We must defend those who cannot defend themselves. I urge the Senate to reconsider its decision and pass legislation that will celebrate, cherish, and protect life. 

★★★

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-senates-failure-advance-pain-capable-unborn-child-protection-act/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 01:46:15 am »
For all that people criticize or talk about say, a country like France, no abortions after 12 weeks, UK may be something like this though, it sounds like there are loopholes. So, even 20 weeks is excessive and we can't even get that and Collins and Murkowski I believe voted to allow the status quo to remain, so yes, vote whomever did this out, especially Republicans.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 01:51:27 am »

It's is time!

Every time Schumer opens his mouth, he refers to ... well, he claims, the Republicans have the majority in both houses, they can do what they want.

That is obviously untrue.  A paper thin majority in the Senate, with some members not true conservatives ... plus we do not have anything approaching a majority on bill needing 60 votes.

I need to check back and see if any Republicans voted against this bill.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 01:52:58 am »
The Dems infanticide continues...

Month 4: Waistline starts to disappear

month 4Baby
The baby's skin in pink, somewhat transparent and is covered with fine hair called lanugo. His tiny fingernails are now visible. The baby's face continues to develop. Eyebrows and eyelashes begin to appear in this month. Buds on the side of the head begin to form into the outer ear and he can hear your voice now.

The tail has disappeared from the fetus and the head makes up about half of the baby's size. The baby's neck is long enough to lift the head from the body. The baby moves, kicks, sleeps, wakes, swallows, and passes urine. By the end of the fourth month, your baby will be 5 to 6 inches (13 to 15 cm) crown to rump in length and weigh about 5 ounces (about 140 grams).

more
http://www.baby2see.com/development/month4.html

I thought the recent developments in ultra sound images might make some people realize that we're talking about a baby.  Guess not.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 01:56:14 am »
Lisa and Susan Collins need to go.  Has anyone noticed Susan lately?  She looks almost as bad as Nancy Pelosi with the odd movements.

And Doug Jones (thanks, all the Doug Jones supporters here) ... he was a no vote.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 02:36:09 am »
Lisa and Susan Collins need to go.

Both voted to cut our taxes.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 02:47:20 am »
Make them actually filibuster. Make them actually hold the floor and purportedly debate the bill by reading the phonebook or Dr. Seuss or whatever else they want to do to fill up time.  This nonsense of no vote to cut off debate stopping a bill when there's not any debate going on to cut off is the problem, not the old rules of the Senate that allowed unlimited debate. 
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 03:35:45 am »
Both voted to cut our taxes.

This is more important.  At least to me.  The rampant abortion industry has weakened the moral fiber of our country.

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 03:39:03 am »
This is more important.  At least to me.  The rampant abortion industry has weakened the moral fiber of our country.
It is very important to me as well.  Is it more important than letting us keep the money we earned?  I am unsure.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 03:44:24 am »
check out this ridiculous headline....

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 03:48:31 am »
Republicans should vote, generally speaking, in unison. Not some voting like Democrats.  Democrats seem to pretty much stick together.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 04:27:39 am »
Republicans should vote, generally speaking, in unison. Not some voting like Democrats.  Democrats seem to pretty much stick together.
I agree.  Republicans should pick a team, pick a platform, and push an agenda in unity.  That is why whenever Bush, Dole, Dubya, McCain, or Romney said, or did, something stupid I stood up and defended them.  I did that because I believed that, on the whole, the GOP would lead America to a better day...and that is why I had to leave the party when they picked Donald Trump to lead.

rats abandon their party all the time.  President Reagan was a rat.  rat Sen. Zell Miller spoke at the 2004 GOP convention.  rat Sen. Joe Lieberman spoke at the 2008 GOP convention and rat mega contributor Donald J Trump spoke at the 2016 GOP convention.

Being a rat doesn't mean they are damned to Perdition...only staying a rat is condemned by hellfire.

Here another guzzle to President Trump and his eventual conversion.  0005

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 04:47:27 am »
20 weeks?  That's still in my books absolutely unacceptable!  As soon as the embryo is considered a fetus, abortion should NOT be allowed.  @ 10 weeks:

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 05:12:26 am »
Absolutely agree Libertybelle, this country has some work to do and in some ways, it's hard to think it can ever get done. Maybe gradually.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 07:50:15 am »
It is very important to me as well.  Is it more important than letting us keep the money we earned?  I am unsure.

I'd look at very pro-life governors such as Scott Walker.

Let's hope Republicans could at least band together to give their constituents tax breaks. This should not be having either or.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 08:06:31 pm »
Lisa and Susan Collins need to go.  Has anyone noticed Susan lately?  She looks almost as bad as Nancy Pelosi with the odd movements.

And Doug Jones (thanks, all the Doug Jones supporters here) ... he was a no vote.

Meanwhile, three Democrats — Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Bob Casey Jr. of Pennsylvania, and Joe Donnelly of Indiana — broke ranks and voted with Republicans in favor of the legislation. The vote split along similar party lines in 2015, the last time the Senate considered similar legislation.

Among the Democrats opposing the legislation were several from states that voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election: Jon Tester of Montana, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Debbie Stabenow and Gary Peters of Michigan, Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Doug Jones of Alabama, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.

John McCain was not there to vote, but his presence would not have mattered. Had Roy Moore won in Alabama, his vote would not have mattered as well.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:07:17 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:02 pm »

Both are important but one is a moral issue and one is a fiscal issue.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:05 pm »
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/trump-we-must-defend-those-who-cannot-defend-themselves

President Trump called on the U.S. Senate to “reconsider” its rejection of an “important” ban on painful late-term abortions, urging, “we must defend those who cannot defend themselves.”

On Monday, the Senate voted to continue debate on the bill, effectively killing it by not allowing an actual vote on it. The Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act has already passed the U.S. House and Trump has promised to sign it.

“When I addressed the 45th annual March for Life, I called on the Senate to pass the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, important legislation that would protect our most vulnerable,” said Trump. “It is disappointing that despite support from a bipartisan majority of U.S. Senators, this bill was blocked from further consideration.”

“Scientific studies have demonstrated that babies in the womb feel pain at twenty weeks,” he continued. “The vote by the Senate rejects scientific fact and puts the United States out of the mainstream in the family of nations, in which only 7 out of 198 nations, including China and North Korea, allow elective abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.”

“I urge the Senate to reconsider its decision and pass legislation that will celebrate, cherish, and protect life,” said Trump.

“By refusing to advance a bill that would restrict abortions on babies when they are capable of feeling pain,” the U.S. Senate “voted against a motion that would have respected the majority of Americans' convictions,” said Vice President Pence. He called Trump a “true pro-life advocate” and promised, “President Trump and I will never cease in our commitment to defending the protecting the most vulnerable among us.”

(Excerpt) Read more at above link