Author Topic: Sarah Sanders Asked About WH's Relationship With Sanctuary Cities — Her Response Is a Smackdown  (Read 1096 times)

rangerrebew

Sarah Sanders Asked About WH's Relationship With Sanctuary Cities — Her Response Is a Smackdown
CALEB HULL | JAN 24, 2018 | 3:52 PM

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 3.26.03 PM

On Wednesday, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders held a press briefing just after the government shutdown came to an end, and many of the questions were pointed at the issue of sanctuary cities and immigration.

The shutdown occurred after Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Democrats could not agree on a deal over the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program with President Donald Trump and Republicans. Schumer eventually gave in to vote to reopen the government in exchange for negotiations on DACA.

https://ijr.com/the-declaration/2018/01/1054860-sarah-sanders-asked-about-whs-relationship-with-sanctuary-cities-her-response-is-a-smackdown/

Offline libertybele

Sarah Sanders Asked About WH's Relationship With Sanctuary Cities — Her Response Is a Smackdown
CALEB HULL | JAN 24, 2018 | 3:52 PM

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 3.26.03 PM

On Wednesday, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders held a press briefing just after the government shutdown came to an end, and many of the questions were pointed at the issue of sanctuary cities and immigration.

The shutdown occurred after Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Democrats could not agree on a deal over the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program with President Donald Trump and Republicans. Schumer eventually gave in to vote to reopen the government in exchange for negotiations on DACA.

https://ijr.com/the-declaration/2018/01/1054860-sarah-sanders-asked-about-whs-relationship-with-sanctuary-cities-her-response-is-a-smackdown/

I wasn't a fan of Sanders in the beginning, but I've really grown to like her and think she has demonstrated time and time again that she is very capable and competent.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

So what was the smack down?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
So what was the smack down?

There was supposed to be an Earth-Shattering Smackdown!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
"We would love to be able to work with these mayors, particularly on issues like infrastructure and other things. But we cannot allow people to pick and choose what laws they want to follow. If we have a country with no laws, then nothing matters....."

I guess nobody told her about the boss' plan to offer legal status and eventually citizenship to 1.8M lawbreakers.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
"We would love to be able to work with these mayors, particularly on issues like infrastructure and other things. But we cannot allow people to pick and choose what laws they want to follow. If we have a country with no laws, then nothing matters....."

I guess nobody told her about the boss' plan to offer legal status and eventually citizenship to 1.8M lawbreakers.

@edpc

Ahem   " the boss' plan to offer legal status "
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I think technically they are "legal" now. He's offering citizenship as best I can tell from the Fake News. 
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

I think technically they are "legal" now. He's offering citizenship as best I can tell from the Fake News.

Apparently they need to make all those illegals, legal in order to get the 60 votes in the senate.

Because our Senate cares more about illegals than their voters.

Offline edpc

Ahem   " the boss' plan to offer legal status "

Yeah - as in they weren’t, so he’s giving protection to people who are here illegally by extending a program he’d previously called unconstitutional amnesty.  He also hilariously said he had a right to extend it beyond March, if no deal had been reached by then.  Really tough to accuse others of choosing which laws to follow in this case.

Offline driftdiver

Yeah - as in they weren’t, so he’s giving protection to people who are here illegally by extending a program he’d previously called unconstitutional amnesty.  He also hilariously said he had a right to extend it beyond March, if no deal had been reached by then.  Really tough to accuse others of choosing which laws to follow in this case.

@edpc
He's not doing anything but showing leadership, the same thing you've been criticizing him for not doing.   We all know that anything which doesn't give away citizenship to the dreamers is DOA in the Senate. 

I hate it but what is the solution?   Sit here and do nothing and hope we get more conservatives in Congress?   Maybe if McConnell showed some leadership we'd have  more options.

Offline edpc

@edpc
He's not doing anything but showing leadership, the same thing you've been criticizing him for not doing.   We all know that anything which doesn't give away citizenship to the dreamers is DOA in the Senate. 

I hate it but what is the solution?   Sit here and do nothing and hope we get more conservatives in Congress?   Maybe if McConnell showed some leadership we'd have  more options.

Perhaps he should actually follow through on his campaign platform to repeal and deport illegals under DACA and DAPA, not care about the optics, enforce the law, and show ACTUAL leadership.  Remember - he once said they’d have to go, before we’d consider letting them back in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L01yYp3vTbA

His ‘evolvement’ on the issue is a joke, as was Obama’s on gay marriage.  Was Trump FOS on the campaign or is he now?

Offline driftdiver

Perhaps he should actually follow through on his campaign platform to repeal and deport illegals under DACA and DAPA, not care about the optics, enforce the law, and show ACTUAL leadership.  Remember - he once said they’d have to go, before we’d consider letting them back in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L01yYp3vTbA

His ‘evolvement’ on the issue is a joke, as was Obama’s on gay marriage.  Was Trump FOS on the campaign or is he now?

@edpc

Again, how.   he can say all the crap he wants but if he can't get it thru the Senate its useless.

What is your solution to that?  Since that is actually what is keeping the dream alive.

Offline edpc

@edpc

Again, how.   he can say all the crap he wants but if he can't get it thru the Senate its useless.

What is your solution to that?  Since that is actually what is keeping the dream alive.

How to do what?  Enforce immigration law?  He doesn’t need congressional approval to do that.

Offline driftdiver

How to do what?  Enforce immigration law?  He doesn’t need congressional approval to do that.

@edpc
He needs money, something Congress has withheld from enforcement for decades.  At least in adequate amounts.

Not enough agents, not enough jails, not enough equipment and States and Citys which actively work to thwart efforts to enforce the law.

No this problem wasn't created in the last year and its going to take time to fix it, IF Congress will pass bills that support enforcement.

Offline Suppressed

He needs money, something Congress has withheld from enforcement for decades.  At least in adequate amounts.

Do you think maybe it's time for him to start acting presidential and make his case for getting the funding needed to enforce existing laws?  I'll watch for it in the SOTU address.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

@edpc

Not enough agents, not enough jails, not enough equipment and States and Citys which actively work to thwart efforts to enforce the law.

No this problem wasn't created in the last year and its going to take time to fix it, IF Congress will pass bills that support enforcement.

Immigration was largely why people voted for him - especially in battleground states.  Congress can play budgetary games if they wish.  That's part of their constitutional power.  However, they'd get run out on a rail if they refused to fund programs their constituents wanted.  Someone committed to getting that done would not be meeting at Camp David and saying he's backing the incumbents who have been central to the decades long problem.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@edpc

I hate it but what is the solution?   Sit here and do nothing and hope we get more conservatives in Congress?   

@driftdiver

Clearly what we need to do is elect JEB,Romney,Lady Lindsey,or one of the other Usual Suspects in 2020! </S>
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

Clearly what we need to do is elect JEB,Romney,Lady Lindsey,or one of the other Usual Suspects in 2020! </S>

@sneakypete

Cruz is the only one with a better position

Offline Fantom

I wasn't a fan of Sanders in the beginning, but I've really grown to like her and think she has demonstrated time and time again that she is very capable and competent.

Yep, quite the Lady...and dangerously sharp of mind, I like.  :beer:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Cruz is the only one with a better position

@driftdiver

Yeah,but let's be  honest here,it's easy to have a better position when you are not in a position to even present it,never mind live with the political reality.

After LBJ,the Bush Crime Family,I have no trust in Texas politicians,and it always seemed to me that Cruz was a little bit shady and opportunistic,also.

Other than Trump,he was the pick of the litter last time. I also realize that is faint praise.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:50:47 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!