Author Topic: Oxford University student disciplined after he dresses as Stephen Hawking  (Read 509 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Must not dress as a disabled prerson.

An Oxford University student has been disciplined for attending a college party dressed as Professor Stephen Hawking.

The student completed his outfit with an office chair with wheels attached to mimic the world-famous physicist.

He wore the costume for the 'Dress as your degree' themed party at Lady Margaret Hall (LMH) on Saturday.

But he was reported to the college dean after angry responses from fellow students following the stunt.

Junior Common Room president Lana Purcell said: 'This behaviour breaches our clearly expressed expectations for bop costumes.We are angry and disappointed that this has happened and have referred the person to the dean.'

An LMH spokesman added: 'Our dean will be speaking to the student to express the college's disappointment and to ask him to reflect on why his behaviour would be seen by many as offensive.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5297803/Outrage-Oxford-student-dresses-Stephen-Hawking.html#ixzz551VR8rJx
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Am I the only one that doesn't get it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Am I the only one that doesn't get it?

No... :shrug:

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Somehow I don't think that Hawking would have been offended. He seems to have a good scence of humor.

! No longer available

! No longer available

:shrug:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Somehow I don't think that Hawking would have been offended. He seems to have a good scence of humor.

:shrug:

@Neverdul

What was there to be offended about? Hawkins would have been flattered someone thought enough of him to go "whole hog".

If anything,dressing as Hawkins and NOT sitting in a wheel chair would have been an insult to him. It would have been like calling him lazy because he doesn't walk.

Offline dfwgator

Whatever happened to "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"?

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
@Neverdul

What was there to be offended about? Hawkins would have been flattered someone thought enough of him to go "whole hog".

If anything,dressing as Hawkins and NOT sitting in a wheel chair would have been an insult to him. It would have been like calling him lazy because he doesn't walk.

It used to be said that "imitation is the greatest form of flattery". OK, that's not always true depending on how or way it's done, but obviously this student admired Hawkings and wasn't making fun of his condition.

Yes , it would have been insulting not to depict him as he is, as if having ALS and being in a wheel chair is something to be ashamed of.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It used to be said that "imitation is the greatest form of flattery". OK, that's not always true depending on how or way it's done, but obviously this student admired Hawkings and wasn't making fun of his condition.

Yes , it would have been insulting not to depict him as he is, as if having ALS and being in a wheel chair is something to be ashamed of.

@Neverdul

Exactly,besides,can you or anyone else even imagine a physics major purposely ridiculing Hawkings??????

It would be like a novice Priest ridiculing the Pope.