Author Topic: Homeland Security secretary grilled over Trump comments  (Read 586 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Homeland Security secretary grilled over Trump comments
« on: January 16, 2018, 05:36:32 pm »
Homeland Security secretary grilled over Trump comments
By Jonathan Easley - 01/16/18 12:17 PM EST

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen faced heated questions from Democratic lawmakers on Tuesday over her recollections of a White House meeting in which President Trump described some poor countries sending immigrants to the United States as “shithole countries.”

The remarks have set off a days-long firestorm, raising the odds of a government shutdown this weekend and emboldening Democrats to demand that a fix protecting certain undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children be included as part of a deal.

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), who was in the meeting with Trump, grilled Nielsen over her memories of what the president said.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/369139-homeland-security-secretary-grilled-over-trump-comments
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Homeland Security secretary grilled over Trump comments
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:38:14 pm »
Leahy even reminded her she was under oath...the Rats could care less about DACA..they are taking this *vulgar* comment all the way to the 2018 elections.

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:49:47 pm »
Booker to Nielsen: 'Your silence and your amnesia is complicity'
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/369164-booker-to-nielsen-your-silence-and-your-amnesia-is-complicity

My God these pure snowflakes have ever said or heard the word shit!...what a bunch of liars!!!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:51:13 pm »
If I was Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen I would stand up and announce when you want to talk about Homeland Security invite me back...goodbye
Support the USO

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:58:52 am »
Does anyone care about the integrity of our government and the obvious lying? Whether it comes from the left or right it seems to be rampant in DC. To the point of being normalized by the politicians and accepted by the people. Do we honestly expect anything good to come from this?

I can't deny that I agree with the President about these countries and some of the immigrants that come from them but what I can't agree with is the stupidity of saying it out loud at a meeting using crude language with dems present. And I am most disturbed by the lying about it both from the President and some of those present at the meeting who started out with amnesia and then admitted that he said it but another form of the word. If this is what we are accepting now from our leaders there is no hope left for us.

There were plenty of ways the President could have gotten the point across without using this kind of incendiary language. A genius or very smart man would know how to parse his words, realize he was speaking to a mixed audience and use the power of persuasion. Instead he chooses the lowest basest form of speech. This shows ignorance not brilliance. Of course the  left and the media are going to be foaming at the mouth to report this and raise as much brouhaha as possible. A smart man would have known this as well. So he accomplished two things at this meeting. Getting a rise out of his supporters who will excuse anything he says and believe anything he says and increasing the ire towards him from everyone else and perhaps ruining any chances for meaningful immigration reform.

Donald Trump is fond of throwing out red meat for his supporters in the form of using controversial language. Time and time again however it has come back to bite him. The only thing gained from this is the continued support of true believers. Anyone else is disgusted by it. In the end the policy is ignored and the media storm is getting all the attention. It does more harm than good. Most people by now would learn from their mistakes. Trump seems to be unable to do that and continues to repeat them piling on a whole bunch of people who wouldn't vote for him if he was the last man running. Sorry, I see no "genius" in that and this is one of the reasons why people will think he is unfit for the job. For us, it has nothing to do with the naughty word he used and everything to do with his continued problem with his mouth and honesty.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 09:23:11 am »
"Nielsen fired back, saying she did not intend to make a comparison between the countries and arguing that her agency has prioritized cracking down on racially charged violence in the U.S."

As it should.

"The fight has also renewed charges of racism against Trump."

And he's a racist why?

Because the Tax Cuts didn't hand out Billions more in Welfare Giveaways to POC in the inner cities?

Of all the 'racist' remarks I've ever heard, I don't remember anyone accusing someone else of being one of 'Those People from a Shithole Country.' as a euphemism for the N-word or someone from Asia or Mexico.

They've been a damn sight more blunt.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:24:48 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Concerned

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:54 pm »
Does anyone care about the integrity of our government and the obvious lying? Whether it comes from the left or right it seems to be rampant in DC. To the point of being normalized by the politicians and accepted by the people. Do we honestly expect anything good to come from this?

I can't deny that I agree with the President about these countries and some of the immigrants that come from them but what I can't agree with is the stupidity of saying it out loud at a meeting using crude language with dems present. And I am most disturbed by the lying about it both from the President and some of those present at the meeting who started out with amnesia and then admitted that he said it but another form of the word. If this is what we are accepting now from our leaders there is no hope left for us.

There were plenty of ways the President could have gotten the point across without using this kind of incendiary language. A genius or very smart man would know how to parse his words, realize he was speaking to a mixed audience and use the power of persuasion. Instead he chooses the lowest basest form of speech. This shows ignorance not brilliance. Of course the  left and the media are going to be foaming at the mouth to report this and raise as much brouhaha as possible. A smart man would have known this as well. So he accomplished two things at this meeting. Getting a rise out of his supporters who will excuse anything he says and believe anything he says and increasing the ire towards him from everyone else and perhaps ruining any chances for meaningful immigration reform.

Donald Trump is fond of throwing out red meat for his supporters in the form of using controversial language. Time and time again however it has come back to bite him. The only thing gained from this is the continued support of true believers. Anyone else is disgusted by it. In the end the policy is ignored and the media storm is getting all the attention. It does more harm than good. Most people by now would learn from their mistakes. Trump seems to be unable to do that and continues to repeat them piling on a whole bunch of people who wouldn't vote for him if he was the last man running. Sorry, I see no "genius" in that and this is one of the reasons why people will think he is unfit for the job. For us, it has nothing to do with the naughty word he used and everything to do with his continued problem with his mouth and honesty.

I care about the integrity of our government and the lying.  I despise the constant lying, falsehoods, misleading statements, and/or distractions from this Administration.  I don’t care about curse words.  I use them all the time, but the description of primarily African American countries as a “sh**hole” (or perhaps “sh**house”) could be interpreted as racist especially when it’s done in the context of preferring immigrants from somewhere like Norway. 

Even setting that aside, I’m much more concerned with two US Senators who issued a statement the day after the meeting that they couldn’t recall the President using that term.  Really?  The next day you couldn’t remember?  That doesn’t seem plausible to me.  Then Perdue suddenly remembers by Sunday that Trump definitely did NOT use that term.  Really?

Now we have the DHS Secretary testifying under oath that the President definitely did not use the word “sh**hole”, but that “Ah, let’s see.  Strong language, there was — I apologize, I don’t remember a specific word.”  Again, this just isn’t plausible to me:  she knows he didn’t say “sh**hole”, but she doesn’t remember what profanity he did use?  Sheesh and this under oath.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:46:55 pm »
I care about the integrity of our government and the lying.  I despise the constant lying, falsehoods, misleading statements, and/or distractions from this Administration.  I don’t care about curse words.  I use them all the time, but the description of primarily African American countries as a “sh**hole” (or perhaps “sh**house”) could be interpreted as racist especially when it’s done in the context of preferring immigrants from somewhere like Norway. 

Even setting that aside, I’m much more concerned with two US Senators who issued a statement the day after the meeting that they couldn’t recall the President using that term.  Really?  The next day you couldn’t remember?  That doesn’t seem plausible to me.  Then Perdue suddenly remembers by Sunday that Trump definitely did NOT use that term.  Really?

Now we have the DHS Secretary testifying under oath that the President definitely did not use the word “sh**hole”, but that “Ah, let’s see.  Strong language, there was — I apologize, I don’t remember a specific word.”  Again, this just isn’t plausible to me:  she knows he didn’t say “sh**hole”, but she doesn’t remember what profanity he did use?  Sheesh and this under oath.

@Concerned
For not being concerned about the use of bad words you seem awfully concerned.  The key phrase you used above was "constant lying", when that is obviously not true.   Then to prove your point you select two people who are not part of the Administration.   hmmmmm

I won't even touch your comments about racism which are clearly fantastical.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 01:59:49 pm »
@Concerned
For not being concerned about the use of bad words you seem awfully concerned.  The key phrase you used above was "constant lying", when that is obviously not true.   Then to prove your point you select two people who are not part of the Administration.   hmmmmm

I won't even touch your comments about racism which are clearly fantastical.

What I actually said was that "I despise the constant lying, falsehoods, misleading statements, and/or distractions from this Administration."  I stand by the statement.  There are plenty of sources available of the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of lies/falsehoods/misleading statements/distractions from this Administration (I provided one link below).  From the number of times he was on the cover of Time magazine to the his being the biggest Electoral victory since Reagan to Tennessee having insurance coverage in only half the state to  "everyone" getting to a tax cut.  Yes, I think this Administration constantly offers up "lies, falsehoods, misleading statements, and/or distractions".

Yes, I used two people not part of the Administration because I believe they were out speaking on behalf of the Administration and in defense of the Administration.  Of course, if you don't like them as an example (which I can understand), you can just take a look at the list below which is largely, if not totally, from the Administration and many from the President himself.

(I fail to see how my comments on racism are "fantastical" when I said his comments "could be interpreted as racist" and sure enough there are people out there claiming just that.  I didn't say I agreed. I just said they "could be" and they are in fact being interpreted that way by some (e.g., Durbin)).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/23/opinion/trumps-lies.html
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:02:24 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.