Author Topic: The Handmaid’s Tale Author Margaret Atwood Accused of Crimes Against Feminism for Defending Due Pro  (Read 521 times)

rangerrebew

The Handmaid’s Tale Author Margaret Atwood Accused of Crimes Against Feminism for Defending Due Process
Atwood: "In times of extremes, extremists win. Their ideology becomes a religion."

Robby Soave|Jan. 14, 2018 1:10 pm

AtwoodMichal Dolezal/ZUMA Press/NewscomIn the first year of the Trump presidency, the Hulu television series The Handmaid's Tale—which concerns a dystopian future U.S. where totalitarian religious authorities subjugate women—became essential #Resistance viewing. Many saw parallels between the treatment of women within the universe of the show and President Trump's alleged history of abusive behavior.

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/14/handmaids-tale-margaret-atwood-feminism

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Aw, that's too bad.

Don't you just enjoy seeing them eat their own?

Offline goatprairie

Atwood is a prime example of the worst of the paranoid left who really believe their fellow citizens in a western democracy would like to round up people like them and make them live in a theocratic state where women have no rights.
Her idiotic novel "The Handmaid's Tale" is currently making the rounds of HBO (?).   A dystopian novel about modern day women forced to live like women of three hundred or more years ago.
Only nutty leftists dream up these things.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Atwood is a prime example of the worst of the paranoid left who really believe their fellow citizens in a western democracy would like to round up people like them and make them live in a theocratic state where women have no rights.
Her idiotic novel "The Handmaid's Tale" is currently making the rounds of HBO (?).   A dystopian novel about modern day women forced to live like women of three hundred or more years ago.
Only nutty leftists dream up these things.

The series is on Hulu not HBO. But you make a good point, and no, it is not likely to happen. A similar plot line was in the movie “V for Vendetta” only that was not just about women and more or less Orwellian but that can also be said of "The Handmaid's Tale".

However, while certainly a very tiny minority, I’ve tangled with some folks over at TOS who would love to see a theocracy established where fundamentalist Christianity is the only religion allowed, where homosexuals would be arrested and imprisoned or worse, and they would want to take away women’s rights to vote by repealing the 19th A.

They would also want to criminalize all extramarital relations and force women out of the workforce excepting for “traditional” roles like maids, teachers, nurses, etc., but only for unmarried women with no children. And a few have proposed beyond criminalizing abortion again, penalizing women for not being married and having as many children as possible. Think of the Duggers and forcing everyone to be live like them.

Again, this a very, very small minority of people who think like that, but they are out there. Just as surely as there are white supremacists and neo-Nazis. And those groups sometimes intersect with each other on somethings.

As they are such a small subset, I’m not afraid of them as I doubt they would ever come to power, but I shudder at the possibility that they could.

As for Atwood on the issue described in the article, she is right regarding the need for due process.

I believe that in order to have civil and human rights for women there have to be civil and human rights, period, including the right to fundamental justice, just as for women to have the vote, there has to be a vote. Do Good Feminists believe that only women should have such rights? Surely not. That would be to flip the coin on the old state of affairs in which only men had such rights.

Atwood also noted that the #MeToo movement, in bringing attention to the unfair treatment of women in the workplace and the inadequacies of the legal system, has done a great deal of good. But the overall goal must be to reform the legal system—not circumvent it in cases where the victim is a woman.

"In times of extremes, extremists win," wrote Atwood. "Their ideology becomes a religion, anyone who doesn't puppet their views is seen as an apostate, a heretic or a traitor, and moderates in the middle are annihilated."
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
What's strange is this environment basically exists in many Muslim countries and the feminists refuse to speak out against them.   They only focus on the US.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline goatprairie

The series is on Hulu not HBO. But you make a good point, and no, it is not likely to happen. A similar plot line was in the movie “V for Vendetta” only that was not just about women and more or less Orwellian but that can also be said of "The Handmaid's Tale".

However, while certainly a very tiny minority, I’ve tangled with some folks over at TOS who would love to see a theocracy established where fundamentalist Christianity is the only religion allowed, where homosexuals would be arrested and imprisoned or worse, and they would want to take away women’s rights to vote by repealing the 19th A.

They would also want to criminalize all extramarital relations and force women out of the workforce excepting for “traditional” roles like maids, teachers, nurses, etc., but only for unmarried women with no children. And a few have proposed beyond criminalizing abortion again, penalizing women for not being married and having as many children as possible. Think of the Duggers and forcing everyone to be live like them.

Again, this a very, very small minority of people who think like that, but they are out there. Just as surely as there are white supremacists and neo-Nazis. And those groups sometimes intersect with each other on somethings.

As they are such a small subset, I’m not afraid of them as I doubt they would ever come to power, but I shudder at the possibility that they could.

As for Atwood on the issue described in the article, she is right regarding the need for due process.
There are people out there, but they are a tiny minority.
The unfortunate fact is people like Atwood want the public to believe that ALL!!! conservatives are like that and not just a tiny percentage of reactionaries.
Conversely, not all liberals are totalitarian, would be Stalins seeking to inflict a leftist nightmare on the rest of the country.
But people, liberals, like Atwood have by far the dominant voice in what the public sees and hears. There are no shows being created by Hollyweird showing the evils of leftist thugs attacking conservative speakers or trying to shut them down. 
No shows about homosexual fascists trying to inflict their morals on Christian bakers.
No shows about leftist professors and students punishing conservative students for the sin of being conservative.
So the threat from reactionary conservatives to turn back the clock is far less than the threat from militant leftism to destroy democracy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:02:06 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Ironically, it was closer to Islam than anything. Dragging Trump into it is just blatant TDS
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

There are people here who believe in aliens and chemtrails. It doesn't mean anything. It's just people jabbering. They have no ability to do anything so it is ignorable. I can claim to be a better hitter than Stan Musial but that doesn't mean I will do it.

A Handmaid's Tale was just a strawman that played to the fantasies of the liberal sheeple.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"Due Process" is for losers.  If people think somebody's guilty of something, they are.  Especially if they're running for office, Republican and the charges surface within days of the ballots being printed. 

That's usually when their every act is attacked, like how they tie their shoes or something.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:59:55 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: