Author Topic: NY Times Columnist: Anti-Trump Movement ‘Seems to be Getting Dumber’  (Read 1419 times)

rangerrebew

NY Times Columnist: Anti-Trump Movement ‘Seems to be Getting Dumber’
by Accuracy In Media on January 11, 2018

New York Times columnist David Brooks penned a column on his evolving views of the anti-Trump/Never Trump movement in politics. Brooks pointed out that he is a member of the anti-Trump movement among conservatives, and expressed his disappointment in their knee-jerk criticism of the president.

In praising the widely debunked book, “Fire and Fury,” by Michael Wolff, Brooks said the anti-Trump conservative movement “seems to be getting dumber”:

http://www.aim.org/on-target-blog/ny-times-columnist-anti-trump-movement-seems-to-be-getting-dumber/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AccuracyInMedia+%28Accuracy+In+Media%29

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Is Brock suggesting he identifies as a conservative?

Offline goatprairie

Well, as I've said before, if Trump succeeds in driving so many libs crazy (or crazier than they already are), he's doing something right.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
This thesis is consistent with Scott Adam's recent Periscope in which he suggests

Anti-Trumpism is now at or in the "Cognitive Death Spiral" phase.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

NT's eating their own.....eff em.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
NT's eating their own.....eff em.

They are a lesser cut and such...  They will probably get the runs.  But then who would notice the skidmarks.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Concerned

I think Brooks’ observation that the anti-Trump movement is largely insular is right on.  Of course, I think the same can be true for many Trump supporters also.  I’ve found that many of those (from both sides) who discuss Trump’s strengths and weaknesses with each other just don’t actually listen to what the other side has to say.  I have several friends who are strong Trump supporters and claim to be fiscal conservatives.  I respect most of them and often discuss some of, what I consider, the craziness, with them.  They are completely dismissive of the craziness.  They are dismissive of the lies.  They are dismissive of the contradictions and the broken promises.  They are dismissive of the lack of fiscal conservative policy.  They ignore all that, and largely focus instead on the fact that President Trump simply isn’t President Clinton.  That is certainly true, but I don’t think that’s a reason to ignore, what most would otherwise consider, unacceptable behavior and policy…….at least IMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Frank Cannon

I think Brooks’ observation that the anti-Trump movement is largely insular is right on.  Of course, I think the same can be true for many Trump supporters also.  I’ve found that many of those (from both sides) who discuss Trump’s strengths and weaknesses with each other just don’t actually listen to what the other side has to say.  I have several friends who are strong Trump supporters and claim to be fiscal conservatives.  I respect most of them and often discuss some of, what I consider, the craziness, with them.  They are completely dismissive of the craziness.  They are dismissive of the lies.  They are dismissive of the contradictions and the broken promises.  They are dismissive of the lack of fiscal conservative policy.  They ignore all that, and largely focus instead on the fact that President Trump simply isn’t President Clinton.  That is certainly true, but I don’t think that’s a reason to ignore, what most would otherwise consider, unacceptable behavior and policy…….at least IMO.

Thanks for proving Brooks point that the NT's are irrelevant and jumped the shark.

Offline Concerned

Thanks for proving Brooks point that the NT's are irrelevant and jumped the shark.

Trump Supporters may claim Never Trumpers are irrelevant yet Trump Supporters continue to engage with them.  What specifically did I post that you disagree with and why?

Offline WingNot

What specifically did I post that you disagree with and why?

That is irrelevant. 

Offline Concerned

That is irrelevant.

Why is that?  Do you disagree with Brooks' point that the anti-Trump movement has become increasingly insular?

Offline WingNot

Why is that?  Do you disagree with Brooks' point that the anti-Trump movement has become increasingly insular?

LOL.  Went right over your clueless little head.

Offline RoosGirl

And yet there are Trump supporters right here on this very forum that seem to care very much about the NT's opinion of him.  More weirdness.

Offline Concerned

LOL.  Went right over your clueless little head.

Well, I certainly don’t understand the logic of coming on a thread about an OpEd and not be willing to try and intelligently discuss it.  Look, I’ll gladly carry on a respectful, fact-based discussion with you or anyone else on any thread here.  Since you’re apparently unwilling or unable to do that here, all I’ll say is I hope you have a good evening.   :seeya:

Offline WingNot

Well, I certainly don’t understand the logic of coming on a thread about an OpEd and not be willing to try and intelligently discuss it.  Look, I’ll gladly carry on a respectful, fact-based discussion with you or anyone else on any thread here.  Since you’re apparently unwilling or unable to do that here, all I’ll say is I hope you have a good evening.   :seeya:

Don't be too Concerned.  Sleep tight in the knowledge that you missed a great joke
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:31:59 am by mystery-ak »

Offline Frank Cannon

Don't be too Concerned.  Sleep tight in the knowledge that you missed a great joke

LOL. That pretty well sums it up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:33:03 am by mystery-ak »

Offline RoosGirl

And if anyone knows dicks, it's Wingnut.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This thesis is consistent with Scott Adam's recent Periscope in which he suggests

Anti-Trumpism is now at or in the "Cognitive Death Spiral" phase.

Scott Adams is terrific.  A few times I've started to post one of his podcasts ... but figured why bother? 

@truth_seeker

Offline Frank Cannon

And if anyone knows dicks, it's Wingnut.

You would know Dicks if you were old enough to remember Bewitched....

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Here's the article:

The Decline of Anti-Trumpism
NY Times, Jan 8, 2018, David Brooks

<snip>

The anti-Trump movement suffers from insularity. Most of the people who detest Trump don’t know anybody who works with him or supports him. And if they do have friends and family members who admire Trump, they’ve learned not to talk about this subject. So they get most of their information about Trumpism from others who also detest Trumpism, which is always a recipe for epistemic closure.

The movement also suffers from lowbrowism. Fox News pioneered modern lowbrowism. The modern lowbrow (think Sean Hannity or Dinesh D’Souza) ignores normal journalistic or intellectual standards. He creates a style of communication that doesn’t make you think more; it makes you think and notice less. He offers a steady diet of affirmation, focuses on simple topics that require little background information, and gets viewers addicted to daily doses of righteous contempt and delicious vindication.

We anti-Trumpers have our lowbrowism, too, mostly on late-night TV. But anti-Trump lowbrowism burst into full bloom with the Wolff book.

More:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/08/opinion/anti-trump-opposition.html

Offline RoosGirl

You would know Dicks if you were old enough to remember Bewitched....

Maybe @corbe will do a new poll.  Whose Dick is better? Dick Sergent or Dick York.

Offline Frank Cannon

Maybe @corbe will do a new poll.  Whose Dick is better? Dick Sergent or Dick York.

I don't think there should be a Dick poll.

Offline WingNot

Not with those two choices anyway.

Online DB

Pull harder...

Online corbe

NO WAY, Frank and Wingy would hack the results indicating no one here has a dick but them.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.