Author Topic: Australia's Akubra hat girl kills herself after online bullying, family says  (Read 960 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Australia's Akubra hat girl kills herself after online bullying, family says
Amy "Dolly" Everett, who was the face of Akubra hats, committed suicide last week.

Amy "Dolly" Everett, who was the face of Akubra hats, committed suicide last week.  (Akubra website)

A 14-year-old girl who was the face of Australia’s iconic hat company Akubra killed herself after enduring online bullying, her family said Sunday.

Amy “Dolly” Everett, who began the ad campaign when she was 8, died last week to “escape the evil in this world,” her father Tick Everett wrote in a Facebook post. The family did not reveal the extent or the reasons why the girl was bullied.

“This week has been an example of how social media should be used, it has also been an example of how it shouldn't be,” Everett wrote.

Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/01/10/australias-akubra-hat-girl-kills-herself-after-online-bullying-family-says.html

So, in this image, she's obviously about 8, the story goes on to say she killed herself at 14 years old.  You read about this bullying going on, it may have even happened not far from where some of us live. I wish these kids realized they had more to live for.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
She wouldn't have known about the bullying if she wasn't online.

Just sayin'.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Social media is often not social.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

I've seen 2 cases where a girl is called something like a "slut", things like that.  Maybe in one of the cases the girl was body-shamed too. It's things like this.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm not questioning that this does happen, but I'm baffled as to how.  On Facebook you can control who can see your information and who can't.  Ditto Twitter and Instagram.  How was the bullying happening?  Why would someone allow it to happen?  I'm missing something...

Offline TomSea

I'm not questioning that this does happen, but I'm baffled as to how.  On Facebook you can control who can see your information and who can't.  Ditto Twitter and Instagram.  How was the bullying happening?  Why would someone allow it to happen?  I'm missing something...

I see your point and I agree with it. There certainly is quite a bit on the web about this.

Here's one case, I felt bad for the girl.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Rehtaeh_Parsons

This above was in Canada, but there was a case in the US where, I think the girl killed herself over some photo taken of her and then, people put it on the internet. Like I said, there's definitely information out there if one looks for it.

@Sanguine
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:38:43 am by TomSea »