Author Topic: New York Dem charged with stealing Sandy money from FEMA  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

New York Dem charged with stealing Sandy money from FEMA
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:13:33 pm »
Fox News, Jan 9, 2018, Adam Shaw

A New York Democratic assemblywoman was indicted Tuesday for allegedly defrauding government agencies out of tens of thousands of dollars, including the agency in charge of Hurricane Sandy relief.

The Department of Justice announced that Pamela Harris, a New York state assemblywoman, was charged with wire fraud, making false statements, bankruptcy fraud, witness tampering and obstructing justice.  The indictment also claims that when Harris learned that law enforcement was investigating her in 2017, she pushed witnesses to lie for her to FBI agents conducting the investigation.

“She conducted her schemes victimizing the federal and New York City governments, and then obstructed a federal investigation into her crimes while a sitting New York State Assemblywoman,” U.S. Attorney Richard Donoghue said.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/09/new-york-dem-charged-with-stealing-sandy-money-from-fema.html

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: New York Dem charged with stealing Sandy money from FEMA
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 09:20:54 pm »
A NY pol getting arrested for corruption? Impossible.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 09:27:58 pm »

Probably sending the money to the Sheila Jackson Lee frequent flyer's club.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:08:59 pm »

Color her shocked.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline the_doc

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 11:26:11 pm »
Joe, say it ain't so.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:08:20 am »
Not possible.  Democrats assured me that every federal dollar in the Sandy relief bill went towards Sandy relief.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:39 pm »
Well, it is The Thief Party isn't it?  I'm sure most Dem congresscritters get confused. They think, "we're here to steal taxpayer money anyway....why can't we use it for personal purposes?"

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:37:09 pm »
Not possible.  Democrats assured me that every federal dollar in the Sandy relief bill went towards Sandy relief.

I lost my home to Sandy.  My husband and I were forced to take out a Small Business Administration loan because FEMA said we only suffered insignificant damage.  Insignificant damage?  The entire home was stripped to the studs to remove the mold and damaged floors and walls.   Rebuilding is not cheap in NYC.  I hope they throw the book at that thief.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 04:42:34 pm »
I lost my home to Sandy.  My husband and I were forced to take out a Small Business Administration loan because FEMA said we only suffered insignificant damage.  Insignificant damage?  The entire home was stripped to the studs to remove the mold and damaged floors and walls.   Rebuilding is not cheap in NYC.  I hope they throw the book at that thief.

I am sorry for your loss and understand what you have gone through.

We have flood insurance for our Harvey damage, we also used the SBA program to help.

I too hope she gets full available punishment.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »
Our flood insurance only paid so much.  We live over a mile from the ocean.  The storm surge flooded a nearby creek in the blue belt and the rest was history.  The water came up with such velocity that it knocked the back door to the basement off its hinges, caused our cars to float away, etc. To make matters worse I was forced to retire after that and my pension was reduced.  My husband is retired as well.  That $750 a month we are paying back really hurts.  I hope that witch rots in jail.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 05:41:35 pm »
Our flood insurance only paid so much.  We live over a mile from the ocean.  The storm surge flooded a nearby creek in the blue belt and the rest was history.  The water came up with such velocity that it knocked the back door to the basement off its hinges, caused our cars to float away, etc. To make matters worse I was forced to retire after that and my pension was reduced.  My husband is retired as well.  That $750 a month we are paying back really hurts.  I hope that witch rots in jail.

I was fortunate that we got "full" value out of the insurance company.  But it was a 6 week fight to get them to raise their offer by $100k.  I suspect most people would have accepted far less.  I've have too much construction experience to not fight it hard.

Floods are devastating.  And I learned crap like content insurance only applied to items under roof with at least 2 walls.  We lost a $2k lawnmower that was under a carport without any walls.  It sure has been a long process.  We expect all the rebuild won't be complete until 9 months after the flood.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 06:08:22 pm »
We got 65K and that was barely enough to replace all the damage and the vehicles.  My husband is a cheapskate.  We were fortunate that friends of mine put us up for 9 months until the repairs were complete  They were so wonderful that they took in my dogs too.  My adult children moved to Brooklyn to stay with my sister.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 06:12:57 pm »
We got 65K and that was barely enough to replace all the damage and the vehicles.  My husband is a cheapskate.  We were fortunate that friends of mine put us up for 9 months until the repairs were complete  They were so wonderful that they took in my dogs too.  My adult children moved to Brooklyn to stay with my sister.

Your Adult Children still lived with you?

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:18:30 pm »
We are in a two story, with 3 beds and a bath upstairs.  After a month and all the wet moldy stuff torn out downstair we moved back in.  It has been a challenge, temp kitch made with the cheapest in-stock stove I could find, old doors on sawhorses for counters, lots of cheap plastic shelves from Walmart.  I have eaten more drywall dust than I would have ever imagined.

When we knew the flood was likely coming we had friends carry all the furniture upstairs, while I loaded up horses, cows, dogs, cats, kids all sent to different places.  It was a massive effort.

But through it all, my wife and I still feel blessed.  Family had to pull together and we did it.  We kept nearly all that was precious.  None of us hurt (but I considered killing the Bull at one point).  We have several months to go but it isn't going to bankrupt us due to "winning" the fight with the insurance.  I didn't get the max out of them, but I got close.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 08:25:44 pm »
Your Adult Children still lived with you?

Yep.  They are half Italian-American and still live home until they are married.  My daughter married in October I am still waiting for my son to find a wife so I can take over his room and turn it into a mom den.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 08:32:40 pm »
We are in a two story, with 3 beds and a bath upstairs.  After a month and all the wet moldy stuff torn out downstair we moved back in.  It has been a challenge, temp kitch made with the cheapest in-stock stove I could find, old doors on sawhorses for counters, lots of cheap plastic shelves from Walmart.  I have eaten more drywall dust than I would have ever imagined.

When we knew the flood was likely coming we had friends carry all the furniture upstairs, while I loaded up horses, cows, dogs, cats, kids all sent to different places.  It was a massive effort.

But through it all, my wife and I still feel blessed.  Family had to pull together and we did it.  We kept nearly all that was precious.  None of us hurt (but I considered killing the Bull at one point).  We have several months to go but it isn't going to bankrupt us due to "winning" the fight with the insurance.  I didn't get the max out of them, but I got close.

Wow!  That is a lot of work!!! Our dogs came with us to my friend's home.  My 5 cats were then boarded at our veterinarian's office.  I always have deep sympathy for people who experience floods.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »
Yep.  They are half Italian-American and still live home until they are married.  My daughter married in October I am still waiting for my son to find a wife so I can take over his room and turn it into a mom den.

Mamma Mia.   :cool:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:29 pm »

She got Sandy money? She should have that laundered.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:36:23 pm »
Probably sending the money to the Sheila Jackson Lee frequent flyer's club.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline WingNot

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 08:37:02 pm »

She got Sandy money? She should have that laundered.

What....Wrapped in foil and frozen in a the freezer compartment has gone out of fashion?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 08:38:44 pm »
What....Wrapped in foil and frozen in a the freezer compartment has gone out of fashion?

That's what you do to your money after it is laundered and you want cold hard cash.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 08:40:29 pm »
That's what you do to your money after it is laundered and you want cold hard cash.

Ah the *WWJD way.

*What would Jefferson Do