Author Topic: Sessions takes aim at judges' handling of immigration cases  (Read 393 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Sessions takes aim at judges' handling of immigration cases
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:35:47 pm »
Sessions takes aim at judges' handling of immigration cases
ABC News, Jan 5, 2018, elliot spagat, associated press

Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Friday launched a review of a little-known but widely used practice of immigration judges closing cases without decisions, potentially putting hundreds of thousands of people in greater legal limbo.

Sessions posed detailed questions challenging the use of "administrative closures," an increasingly common outcome that allows people to stay in the country without legal status. The attorney general invited feedback from advocates and others, after which time he may issue new instructions for immigration judges nationwide.

Administrative closures have been a lifeline to immigrants who apply for citizenship, permanent residency or other visas, shielding them from deportation while their petitions are vetted. But critics say judges too often let people stay in the country longer than they should in a sort of legal purgatory.

More: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/sessions-takes-aim-judges-handling-immigration-cases-52158205·

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Sessions takes aim at judges' handling of immigration cases
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:57:40 pm »
I just read in another article the other day that they had resumed the catch and release.  I sincerely hope that this leads to a better system of deportation.  Obviously it has been true that these people have been living here in limbo.  Many have lived until they get amnesty.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Sessions takes aim at judges' handling of immigration cases
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:20 pm »
I just read in another article the other day that they had resumed the catch and release.  I sincerely hope that this leads to a better system of deportation.  Obviously it has been true that these people have been living here in limbo.  Many have lived until they get amnesty.

Here's hoping that limbo no longer leads to heaven on earth.   :beer: