Author Topic: Conservative Policy, Populist Attitude (Shapiro)  (Read 455 times)

Online corbe

Conservative Policy, Populist Attitude (Shapiro)
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:12:03 pm »
Conservative Policy, Populist Attitude

by Ben Shapiro
 December 27, 2017 4:00 AM @benshapiro

The danger is that the latter will toxify the former.

This was supposed to be the year conservatism saw its end. Conservatism, we were led to believe, had run its course. Trump’s supporters cheered his campaign-trail heresies against Reagan-esque conservatism. “What has conservatism ever done for us?” we heard, time and again. Candidate Trump was among those pressing forward this talking point: “This is called the Republican party,” Trump reminded Americans in May 2016. “It’s not the Conservative party.”

Conservatism had seen its heyday — it had become old, decrepit. A new governing philosophy had made itself manifest: nationalist populism. Or, as Trump’s advocates put it, Trumpism. This philosophy would mash up protectionism with a quasi-isolationist foreign policy focused on placating dictatorships such as Russia; it would combine big spending on infrastructure with a crackdown on immigration. Government would subsidize manufacturing and look to restrict companies like Facebook and Google. Wall Street would be put in the dock. The “elites” would pay. Nationalism would take precedence over patriotism based on founding ideals.

<..snip..>

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/454955/2017-conservative-policy-trump-nationalism-populism-attitude
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Conservative Policy, Populist Attitude (Shapiro)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 08:18:23 pm »
Too late.

I'm a federalist and won't be calling myself a conservative till Trumpism is dead and buried in a shallow grave.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 08:32:16 pm »
Too late.

I'm a federalist and won't be calling myself a conservative till Trumpism is dead and buried in a shallow grave.

:thumbsup:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:39:09 pm »
:thumbsup:

There really isn't anything more politically conservative than federalism. Trumpism is all about top down rule and obedience.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 08:43:29 pm »
This was supposed to be the year conservatism saw its end. Conservatism, we were led to believe, had run its course.

That must have been the voices in his head.

Ben is begging problems where none exist.