Author Topic: 'It's a rape song': Woman threatens to pull out of her choir's Christmas concert  (Read 2628 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Some songs that come out this time of year are more like "winter" songs than Christmas songs. Look at "Frosty the Snowman".

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
There is seduction, but only if the woman is willing.
If a woman said No to me 25 times, and then gave me a couple of dozen reasons how staying the night with me was going to cause her family distress, ruin her reputation with her family and the community, and generally damage her life irreparably, I'm pretty sure that would spoil the mood for me.

Call me stupid or whatever name you want, in the scenario of the song, especially since she indicated that she was getting dizzy or whatever, as a gentleman I would have taken her home myself. Just to make sure she was OK.

I realize that I am in the minority opinion here, but after all she said, there is no way I could have sex with her that night. I would have been more worried about making sure that she gets home on time safe and sound.

But that's just me. I'm not so hard-up for sex that I am willing to ruin a woman's life for it. Beside that, on a different tack, by being gentle and taking her home, that just about guarantees gratitude sex eventually when she has arranged the circumstances better and she can get away with it. Have sex with her that night, and she will never want to see you again after all the trouble you caused her.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:17:22 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline NavyCanDo

This same song was under attack last year and there was a thread on it here. And the same arguments for and against the song. The song is played too much, as is Santa Baby which is my biggest complaint, but I don't hear rape in the song lyrics just an overbearing buffoon with high hopes of pitching woo, makin whoopie, or playing parlor games, or whatever else they called it back in the day.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

That's getting a little personal, don't you think?   ^-^

Possibly, lol.

But I mean, since the guy’s a rapist and all, he’s probably pretty hardcore.

Silver Pines

Offline RoosGirl

There is seduction, but only if the woman is willing.
If a woman said No to me 25, and then gave me a couple of dozen reasons how staying the night with me was going to cause her family distress, ruin her reputation with her family and the community, and generally damage her life irreparably, I'm pretty sure that would spoil the mood for me.

Call me stupid or whatever name you want, in the scenario of the song, especially since she indicated that she was getting dizzy or whatever, as a gentleman I would have taken her home myself. Just to make sure she was OK.

I realize that I am in the minority opinion here, but after all she said, there is no way I could have sex with her that night. I would have been more worried about making sure that she gets home on time safe and sound.

But that's just me. I'm not so hard-up for sex that I am willing to ruin a woman's life for it. Beside that, on a different tack, by being gentle and taking her home, that just about guarantees gratitude sex eventually when she has arranged the circumstances better and she can get away with it. Having sex with her that night, and she will never want to see you again after all the trouble you caused her.

Dude.

Silver Pines

This same song was under attack last year and there was a thread on it here. And the same arguments for and against the song. The song is played too much, as is Santa Baby which is my biggest complaint, but I don't hear rape in the song lyrics just an overbearing buffoon with high hopes of pitching woo, makin whoopie, or playing parlor games, or whatever else they called it back in the day.

Santa Baby is just a bad song, but Madonna’s cover made it a near felony.  Geez

Offline dfwgator

It's just a bad song, period. And I would assume if the nature of the concert was religious, it had no place being there.

Offline endicom

"..."What's in this drink?" was a common idiom of the period used to rebuke social expectations by blaming one's actions on the influence of alcohol.[4][5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby,_It's_Cold_Outside
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:27:43 pm by endicom »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
"..."What's in this drink?" was a common idiom of the period used to rebuke social expectations by blaming one's actions on the influence of alcohol.[4][5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby,_It's_Cold_Outside

This cool cat skirt chaser was no blue nose.  The Valentino knew this dame was a khaki whacky share crop, so there was no call for a Mickey Finn.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:43:17 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RoosGirl

This cool cat skirt chaser was no blue nose.  The Valentino knew this dame was a khaki whacky share crop, so there was no call for a Mickey Finn.

Exactly.  She wanted to stay with him which is why she said she wanted half a drink more.

Offline musiclady

Santa Baby is just a bad song, but Madonna’s cover made it a near felony.  Geez

Santa Baby is absurd.

Baby it's Cold Outside is a good song...... clever both musically and in its lyrics.

And it made for a hilarious scene in the movie "Elf" with Zoe Deschanel and Will Farrell.

I'm pretty sure they don't put "rape songs" in Christmas movies for kids. 

Silly to extrapolate rape out of this song about mutual interest between a male and female.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Frank Cannon

So pull out and get lost already.

I'm not sure many are sticking it into this Feminazi.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Of course she did, but apparently it was with busted lip and ripped dress.

Was it a blue dress and had some DNA on it?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline kevindavis007

I find that song to be annoying like Santa Baby..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline berdie

Santa Baby is absurd.

Baby it's Cold Outside is a good song...... clever both musically and in its lyrics.

And it made for a hilarious scene in the movie "Elf" with Zoe Deschanel and Will Farrell.

I'm pretty sure they don't put "rape songs" in Christmas movies for kids. 

Silly to extrapolate rape out of this song about mutual interest between a male and female.

I agree with all of your post. I wouldn't expect to hear Santa Baby or Baby It's Cold outside at a church event. That is on the church music director.

Offline musiclady

I agree with all of your post. I wouldn't expect to hear Santa Baby or Baby It's Cold outside at a church event. That is on the church music director.

Exactly.  Inappropriate for the type of concert it is, but not even close to being about rape.

People have gotten goofy these days.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

I'll point out again, like @mountaineer did, the article never says this is for a church.  It says it's for a choir putting on a Christmas concert.