Author Topic: First U.S. police officer convicted of trying to aid Islamic State  (Read 329 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
First U.S. police officer convicted of trying to aid Islamic State
The Associated Press

Published 9:29 a.m. ET Dec. 19, 2017 | Updated 9:43 a.m. ET Dec. 19, 2017

ALEXANDRIA, Va. — The first police officer charged in the United States with attempting to support the Islamic State group has been convicted of attempting to provide material support to the militant organization.

A federal jury Monday found Nicholas Young guilty of buying gift cards he thought would be used by the Islamic State, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said. But the person he gave the cards to was working for the FBI.

Now he faces up to 60 years in prison at his sentencing Feb. 23.

Continued at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/12/19/first-police-officer-terrorism/964108001/

There have been a few stories on this guy, not only, apparently, was he pro-ISIS but pro-Nazi too. If he was a "transit cop", I tend to see that a few rungs down from a normal police officer. 

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: First U.S. police officer convicted of trying to aid Islamic State
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »
Relieved to see he is not a regular police officer.  A few rungs down at least.  Maybe not a real covert either.  Just a real axx.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 06:15:14 pm »
Sounds like another sting to me, which doesn't go over well with a lot of people. Even if they caught him doing something bad... but buying gift cards for IS and being sentenced to 20 years for it?  I'd really have to research this. How much were those gift cards for? Etc. etc.  I trust the justice system though, in this case. ISIS is beyond the pale. This guy had problems.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 06:52:14 pm »
Sounds like another sting to me, which doesn't go over well with a lot of people. Even if they caught him doing something bad... but buying gift cards for IS and being sentenced to 20 years for it?  I'd really have to research this. How much were those gift cards for? Etc. etc.  I trust the justice system though, in this case. ISIS is beyond the pale. This guy had problems.
I'll bet you dollars to donuts this guy gets less time than the guy who put a slab of bacon in a mosque.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 07:04:55 pm »
To all of those who think we just need to "profile" and let "the right people" just go through security...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn