Author Topic: Franken urged to reverse his resignation  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Franken urged to reverse his resignation
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:12:01 pm »
Franken urged to reverse his resignation
Politico, Dec 18, 2017, EDWARD-ISAAC DOVERE

At least four senators are urging Al Franken to reconsider resigning, including two who issued statements calling for the resignation two weeks ago and said they now feel remorse over what they feel was a rush to judgment.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), who urged Franken not to step down to begin with — at least not before he went through an Ethics Committee investigation — said the Minnesota senator was railroaded by fellow Democrats.
<snip>

People familiar with Franken's plans said he has not changed his mind and intends to formally resign in early January. He praised the selection of Smith and has begun working with her on the transition.

More: https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/18/manchin-franken-senate-resign-300843

Offline jpsb

Re: Franken urged to reverse his resignation
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:45:47 pm »
And who didn't see this coming.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:23:43 pm »
I strongly suspect that Franken was sacrificed by his party's leadership because they needed  Conyers to resign.   Conyers' case involved workplace power-dynamic harassment covered up with taxpayer money.   Franken's was just adolescent silly-stuff,  like posing for a photo with an admirer and grabbing her ass. 

There was no real grounds for Franken to resign; even his sophomoric behavior took place years before his election the Senate, and while the voters didn't know the details of his butt-grabbing they surely knew they were electing a comedian.

But the Congressional Black Caucus demanded that a white transgressor resign if Conyers was to be made to step down.   And Franken's colleagues rushed to judgment because of the convenient meme that the Dems were cleaning house of their harassers while the GOP was trying to elect one of theirs.   

The pervnado shows little sign of abating, but it would be helpful if some basic ground rules could be set.   The crap that should ruin careers is when a superior demands favors of a subordinate,  such as, for example, when the President of the United States gets off in the Oval Office by watching an intern writhing on the rug with a cigar.  And that behavior, as we all know, was defended by the likes of Gloria Steinem on down.

The least harmful sort of behavior is that indulged in by Franken - a lame attempt at frat-boy humor.   Crude, and certainly objectionable, but not the sort that ought to ruin a career.   The solution to bad-taste frat-boy humor is for the woman to stand up and tell the offender in no uncertain terms to sod off.   That's how it's addressed in the real world, without the intervention of HR departments and the insulting insinuation that women somehow need protection from the ordinary ebb and flow of social interactions.         
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:25:58 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:36:18 pm »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »
And who didn't see this coming.

Yes, an absolutely nothing will be said ... sort of like Billy Bob being impeached and then business as usual.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:50:04 pm »
How can Franken reverse a resignation that never happened? I read everyday in the media that Franken resigned. He didn't. The whole thing is absurd.

All he did was say the he might maybe resign at some undefined point in the future if he feels like it at the time.

Al Franken has NOT resigned. He still goes to work everyday just like always. Nothing has changed.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:50:33 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:55:29 pm »
Franken's refusal to step down will kill the #MeToo movement. It will be shown to be nothing but a political show. All the women going after Trump will become meaningless over night.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 02:04:37 pm »
Franken's refusal to step down will kill the #MeToo movement. It will be shown to be nothing but a political show. All the women going after Trump will become meaningless over night.

Oh, I don't think so.  They've gone to a lot of trouble to set these up and I think they plan to take it as far as they can.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:07:47 pm »
Oh, I don't think so.  They've gone to a lot of trouble to set these up and I think they plan to take it as far as they can.
Give it some time it will die as fast as this great

cause de jour.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:08:24 pm by WineNot »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:45 pm »
How can Franken reverse a resignation that never happened? I read everyday in the media that Franken resigned. He didn't. The whole thing is absurd.

All he did was say the he might maybe resign at some undefined point in the future if he feels like it at the time.

Al Franken has NOT resigned. He still goes to work everyday just like always. Nothing has changed.
Exactly. This is all just theatre.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 03:07:07 pm »
Exactly. This is all just theatre.

It seems to be working.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 03:08:31 pm »
If he retracts, that could be the best thing for Republicans to stop the me toos in the next election.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 03:27:49 pm »
 Ashe Schow‏Verified account @AsheSchow
3h3 hours ago

LOL their calls for resignation were only about looking morally superior when they thought Roy Moore would win.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 03:35:49 pm »
3h3 hours ago

LOL their calls for resignation were only about looking morally superior when they thought Roy Moore would win.

Even @Jazzhead is here today, asking why Franken should resign because of a few silly frat boy pranks.

Its so transparent y'gotta wonder why folks keep falling for the same old routine.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:36:17 pm by skeeter »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:20 pm »
3h3 hours ago

Well, sure.   Franken was pressured to resign for the simple reason of optics in anticipation of Roy Moore joining the Republicans in the Senate.   But GOP voters stayed home in droves rather than vote for Moore,  so what good will Franken's resignation do now except paint the Dems are cynical and mired in cheapest sort of identity politics?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 04:18:19 pm »
Let him stay if he wants. It would keep the former Planned Parenthood exec out and show the Dem hypocrisy when they start clambering for someone’s head the next time, and their most likely will be a next time.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 04:21:33 pm »
I hereby rescind my resignation from TBR. I thought maybe I might resign, but now I think that I will not.

My future undetermined resignation from TBR is canceled.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 04:21:37 pm »
Well, sure.   Franken was pressured to resign for the simple reason of optics in anticipation of Roy Moore joining the Republicans in the Senate.   But GOP voters stayed home in droves rather than vote for Moore,  so what good will Franken's resignation do now except paint the Dems are cynical and mired in cheapest sort of identity politics?   

Let the voters take care of Franken, he's crude and rude but I don't think he is a sexual
predator, just a first class jerk.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:30 pm »

Yup. It would be a big deal if Al didn't follow through.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 10:46:56 pm »
"What they did to Al was atrocious, the Democrats.... The most hypocritical thing I’ve ever seen done to a human being..."

I'm calling for Leahy's resignation for acting precipitously, as he now admits, and for lying now and saying he's only noticing the excessive speed "in retrospect." I think the fast action was done to affect the Alabama election. What a sorry business!

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2017/12/what-they-did-to-al-was-atrocious.html

Liberal law professor in Wisconsin even sees this. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 11:01:49 pm »
"What they did to Al was atrocious, the Democrats.... The most hypocritical thing I’ve ever seen done to a human being..."

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2017/12/what-they-did-to-al-was-atrocious.html

Liberal law professor in Wisconsin even sees this.

Yeah, notice the sudden lack of interest in sexual harassment around here.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 11:08:39 pm »

Cry wolf too many times and people tune out.   

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 11:10:56 pm »

Makes it pretty clear it was just a tactic to gain political power.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 11:14:09 pm »
Let him stay if he wants. It would keep the former Planned Parenthood exec out and show the Dem hypocrisy when they start clambering for someone’s head the next time, and their most likely will be a next time.

Agreed, at least Franken isn't a baby killer.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 11:33:06 pm »
I may be wrong here, but wouldn't reversing not resigning be resigning?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien