Author Topic: Fox News Poll: Enthused Democrats give Jones[10pt] lead over Moore in Alabama  (Read 10128 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Fox News Poll: Enthused Democrats give Jones[10pt] lead over Moore in Alabama
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2017, 12:24:07 am »
Look, you don't like him ... I get it, but you misunderstood the quote completely.  He did not say that the time of slavery was good for families.

He said that DURING the time of slavery and IN SPITE of slavery, families were strong during that period.

But, oh, hell, believe  what you want to.

I'm not going to fight with you about this, no matter how much you want to give the guy slack when he doesn't deserve it.

I wouldn't care if it was my favorite person on earth who said what he said.

It was idiotic.  Stupid.  Boneheaded.  Irresponsible.

The difference between me and you is that I don't excuse the inexcusable because I like the guy who said or did it.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Re: Fox News Poll: Enthused Democrats give Jones[10pt] lead over Moore in Alabama
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2017, 12:27:30 am »
He was asked the question when he thought America was great by a black person.

A perfect opportunity lost to tie the destruction  of the black family and community to the Great Society  specifically  and to the welfare state in general

A GREAT point, @LMAO .   A true conservative, when asked that question might well have answered, the time before the Great Society, which destroyed so many black families.  A true statement, a historically accurate statement, and a politically savvy statement.

The fact is, that his statement, in addition to being boneheaded, was false.  The black family was never in worse shape than it was during slavery, and that was because of the institution of slavery.

All he did was give fuel to the leftist stereotype, and lost a great teaching opportunity.

But maybe he didn't know it himself, and that's why he missed the chance to educate and enlighten.  :shrug:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2017, 12:28:21 am »
Ehhh....

with all due respect....

with the exception of a scant few....

that's all we do have.

At this point, it begs the question..... what is one moore?  (pun intended)   ^-^

888high58888

Offline musiclady

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2017, 12:30:56 am »
She's right about one thing, though (if not others):  This Roy Moore thing has sown a great deal of hatred among our membership.  I wish I could say it's done tomorrow, but it won't be, regardless of how the election turns out.  Many bonds of trust and friendship have been broken over this, while the Democrats sit back and laugh at our foolishness.

I don't know that I've seen anything close to what I'd call "hatred."  And I certainly haven't lost respect or appreciation for anyone here because of the discussions we've had among friends.

If anyone has taken differing opinions about a politician personally, the problem is theirs.  It's not due to the discussion itself.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2017, 12:39:56 am »
I don't know that I've seen anything close to what I'd call "hatred."  And I certainly haven't lost respect or appreciation for anyone here because of the discussions we've had among friends.

If anyone has taken differing opinions about a politician personally, the problem is theirs.  It's not due to the discussion itself.

Exactly.  I have disagreements with people on subjects, but I don't carry that over to another thread with that same member.  Since I don't know anyone here personally, why would I take anything said in that way?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2017, 12:48:55 am »

Exactly.  I have disagreements with people on subjects, but I don't carry that over to another thread with that same member.  Since I don't know anyone here personally, why would I take anything said in that way?

Yes.  Exactly.

There's not a single person on this forum that I don't disagree with on something.  And I agree with most on nearly everything.   I don't understand why the disagreements we have here should be taken personally.

I have seen a few people who make odd assumptions and hyperbolic stretches about me based on things I've said, but I figure I have time to clarify.  And if they don't accept the truth I'm telling about what I think and believe, it's just not my problem.

I have real ones, and what somebody thinks of me in error on an internet forum can't be placed above my real world.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2017, 12:50:22 am »

I've had disagreements about this, and it's sorely tested friendships.  I'd like to say not on my part, but every relationship takes two to tango.  Relationships were also tested by the Trump Wars, and it led to a split of the owners of this forum.  I still call them both friends.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2017, 12:52:25 am »
Yes.  Exactly.

There's not a single person on this forum that I don't disagree with on something.  And I agree with most on nearly everything.   I don't understand why the disagreements we have here should be taken personally.

I have seen a few people who make odd assumptions and hyperbolic stretches about me based on things I've said, but I figure I have time to clarify.  And if they don't accept the truth I'm telling about what I think and believe, it's just not my problem.

I have real ones, and what somebody thinks of me in error on an internet forum can't be placed above my real world.

Oh yeah???  I think you're a real...schtinky puddin'.   :tongue2:

8888mistltoe
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2017, 01:15:07 am »
And it shows how willingly some will believe a lie without questioning it, then dig in when presented with any evidence challenging it.

I think it was some time last year when I read an article detailing how people don't really reason themselves into their positions.   They make a snap judgement based on their own biases,   and then they search around for information which they can use to support the decision they already made.   

If you didn't like Moore's behavior on religion,  the Ten Commandments,  and "gay" marriage,   you weren't going to like him anyway.   

I personally think he's a little too showy on religion for my taste,   but I recognize he absolutely infuriates Liberals,  and I absolutely love that!    Anyone that makes them scream like banshees is doing the "Lords work" so far as I'm concerned.   That's why I like Ann Coulter and  Kurt Schlichter.      They know how to drive Liberals rabid. 

:)

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2017, 01:17:35 am »
Too reactive for me.  I prefer to form my own opinions, one at a time.  Retail.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:18:13 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2017, 01:54:40 am »

I think it was some time last year when I read an article detailing how people don't really reason themselves into their positions.   They make a snap judgement based on their own biases,   and then they search around for information which they can use to support the decision they already made.   

If you didn't like Moore's behavior on religion,  the Ten Commandments,  and "gay" marriage,   you weren't going to like him anyway.   

I personally think he's a little too showy on religion for my taste,   but I recognize he absolutely infuriates Liberals,  and I absolutely love that!    Anyone that makes them scream like banshees is doing the "Lords work" so far as I'm concerned.   That's why I like Ann Coulter and  Kurt Schlichter.      They know how to drive Liberals rabid. 

:)

Not quite true.  It certainly doesn't explain my feelings about Trump.  I made a snap judgment about him and later revised it and keep revising it.

As far as Moore goes, I was drawn into the whole debate by his rabid enemies and when I looked into their claims, I found them odd, old, weak and rather obviously an attempt to destroy his being elected to the Senate.

I'm not totally into the old time religion thing but it doesn't offend me.  Lots of stuff currently going on is much worse than Roy defending a statue of the Ten Commandments or whatever.

And, yeah, infuriating liberals is a big plus.  Infuriating the press a bigger one.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2017, 01:59:00 am »
Surprised the polls don’t show Hillary with a slight lead.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2017, 02:03:27 am »
Not quite true.  It certainly doesn't explain my feelings about Trump.  I made a snap judgment about him and later revised it and keep revising it.

I should have qualified that with "Most people."   Yes,  some people are deliberative and will not be stampeded into a judgement.   I too thought Trump would be a New York City Liberal Democrat,   but still better than Hillary Clinton. 

I have been pleasantly surprised that he is actually trying to keep his promises,  and that he is leading as a moderate conservative.   

As far as Moore goes, I was drawn into the whole debate by his rabid enemies and when I looked into their claims, I found them odd, old, weak and rather obviously an attempt to destroy his being elected to the Senate.

I liked him since I heard he was standing up for the Ten Commandments way back when.   The more I heard he defied those bastards,   the more I liked him.    That he drives our common enemies nuts is a big plus!

I'm not totally into the old time religion thing but it doesn't offend me.  Lots of stuff currently going on is much worse than Roy defending a statue of the Ten Commandments or whatever.

And, yeah, infuriating liberals is a big plus.  Infuriating the press a bigger one.

That's where i'm at.    Yes,  there are those of us who are familiar with "Old time religion"  people,  and while I find them a little bit too "religion on their sleeve"-ish,     I can live with them.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2017, 02:06:24 am »
Surprised the polls don’t show Hillary with a slight lead.

Me as well since it GROSSLY oversamples democrats!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2017, 02:23:48 am »
A fairly decent, lengthy article on polling in AL and in general....

What The Hell Is Happening With These Alabama Polls?

Somebody’s going to be wrong in Alabama.

We’ve already urged caution when interpreting polls of Alabama’s special election to the U.S. Senate, which will be held on Tuesday. Some of that is because of the media’s usual tendency to demand certainty from the polls when the polls can’t provide it. And some of it is because of the circumstances of this particular race: a special election in mid-December in a state where Republicans almost never lose but where the Republican candidate, Roy Moore, has been accused of sexual misconduct toward multiple underaged women.

What we’re seeing in Alabama goes beyond the usual warnings about minding the margin of error, however. There’s a massive spread in results from poll to poll — with surveys on Monday morning showing everything from a 9-point lead for Moore to a 10-point advantage for Democrat Doug Jones — and they reflect two highly different approaches to polling.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-the-hell-is-happening-with-these-alabama-polls/?yptr=yahoo

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2017, 02:28:04 am »
What The Hell Is Happening With These Alabama Polls?

Some are actually measure opinions and others are trying to drive them.  Simple as that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2017, 02:33:07 am »
Kasich is a good man - and one of the few left from the days of the Reagan Revolution.

Maybe he should run for President.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2017, 02:39:34 am »

The funniest thing about that whole escapade was the MSM depiction of Ohio.  First, it was ‘Republicans can’t win without Ohio.’  When Kasich won the primary, it was ‘Trump not popular in Ohio - Hillary can take that important state.’  After returns were showing a big lead for Trump on election night, it became ‘Meh - Ohio isn’t as important as it used to be.’

Offline musiclady

« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2017, 02:40:55 am »
Oh yeah???  I think you're a real...schtinky puddin'.   :tongue2:

8888mistltoe

Take that!

****slapping

And that!

****slapping

And that!!

****slapping

Offline Fantom

« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2017, 03:27:30 am »
It's not "my wish".    The Alabama GOP had the time and the means to dump this clown.   They chose to stick with him.   You reap what you sow.

To paraphrase Patton.

Better SCumer/Clinton/ Et Al  in front of you.... than @Jazzhead behind you.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2017, 03:28:20 am »

:banghead:

Did you know his father was a mail man?

:banghead:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2017, 03:29:47 am »
Take that!

****slapping

And that!

****slapping

And that!!

****slapping

:laugh:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2017, 03:30:19 am »
Take that!

****slapping

And that!

****slapping

And that!!

****slapping

One of these days... I am again going to show Ya'll how to code this forum.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2017, 03:30:46 am »
To paraphrase Patton.

Better SCumer/Clinton/ Et Al  in front of you.... than @Jazzhead behind you.

:bigsilly:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2017, 03:33:02 am »
One of these days... I am again going to show Ya'll how to code this forum.

I suppose this is a good starting point.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Bulletin_board_code#See_Also
I will NOT comply.