Author Topic: Beetles are ravaging Europe’s oldest forest. Is logging the answer?  (Read 639 times)

rangerrebew

Beetles are ravaging Europe’s oldest forest. Is logging the answer?

By Erik StokstadDec. 5, 2017 , 3:30 PM

BIAŁOWIEŻA, POLAND—It’s a cool, gray day in early October, and the town of Białowieża in northeast Poland looks peaceful. But outside a three-star hotel, some two dozen environmental activists have gathered, wearing masks with a photo of Poland’s minister of the environment, Jan Szyszko, and white T-shirts that say “I’m a liar.” There’s a rumor that Szyszko is coming to town today. Just opposite the activists, a similar number of people hold banners supporting him, some wearing hard hats and safety vests and others in camouflage hunting outfits. Police cars are pulling up; an ambulance is parked nearby just in case.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/12/beetles-are-ravaging-europe-s-oldest-forest-logging-answer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Beetles are ravaging Europe’s oldest forest. Is logging the answer?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 03:47:13 pm »
Usually when plants get attacked by bugs they're stressed, diseased, or malnutritioned due to things like overcrowding or other factors that would necessitate, such as in this case, some thinning via logging to relieve that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:58:33 pm »
I blame Yoko.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:17:16 pm »
Good, widespread fires over the millenia have kept the Sequoias thriving.

Should be ok for these younger trees as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington