Author Topic: How Republicans learned to stop worrying about the deficit and love the tax bill  (Read 748 times)

Offline corbe

How Republicans learned to stop worrying about the deficit and love the tax bill

by Joseph Lawler | Dec 1, 2017, 4:35 PM

Senate Republicans jointly agreed that the official score of their tax bill wasn’t credible, several senators said Friday, allowing them to move forward with the $1.4 trillion tax cut after a brief hang-up Thursday over how reduced tax revenues would increase the budget deficit and the debt.

On Thursday, the official congressional score of the bill found that it would add $1 trillion in new debt over 10 years, even accounting for the additional economic growth it would spur.

A drama then unfolded on the Senate floor when Tennessee Republican Bob Corker balked at voting to add that much to the federal debt. Before that score was released, he had been working to include a “debt trigger” in the bill that would automatically shrink the tax cuts if the deficit rose more than projected. After the relatively unfavorable score, he began lobbying his fellow Republicans to make those revenue increases bigger to make up the difference.

<..snip..>

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/how-republicans-learned-to-stop-worrying-about-the-deficit-and-love-the-tax-bill/article/2642325
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Cut the corporate tax rate to zero and see what happens!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DiogenesLamp

How Republicans learned to stop worrying about the deficit and love the tax bill

Anyone who didn't say a word during the last eight years when that affirmative action Imbecile ran up 5 trillion in new debt,  needs to STFU.

When nobody objected to the Democrat fool running up the debt,  they lost all moral authority to ever talk a bout it in the future.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Why is it everybody's a Deficit Hawk when it's time for tax cuts, but nobody seems to give a rip about deficits when they're increasing spending?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
"How Republicans learned to stop worrying about the deficit and love the tax bill"

Deficits don't matter any more.
The Republicans don't care.
The democrat-communists certainly don't care.
Actually, NOBODY cares.

I've said it before and will say it again until folks finally grasp the concept:
The "deficit" will keep increasing until it can't increase any more.
No one knows when that will happen.
Could be sooner, could be later, could be a few decades off yet.
Nobody knows, and don't believe anyone who says they do.

Nobody knows what will eventually stop it from increasing.
It certainly won't be any effort by anyone in government to restrain it (see above).
This doesn't mean it won't stop, someday.
Of course it will stop, everything comes to an end, sooner or later.

So... the deficit will keep goin' up until it stops.
Then -- and ONLY then -- will something be done to address the problems.

What do we do until that happens....?
Well, like Peggy Lee sang:
Is that all there is?
Is that all there is?
Well, if that's all there is
Then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball...
If that's all...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Anyone who didn't say a word during the last eight years when that affirmative action Imbecile ran up 5 trillion in new debt,  needs to STFU.

When nobody objected to the Democrat fool running up the debt,  they lost all moral authority to ever talk a bout it in the future.
Try more like $10 trillion.

Our future demise was greatly accelerated
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online LMAO

Title:
"How Republicans learned to stop worrying about the deficit and love the tax bill"

Deficits don't matter any more.
The Republicans don't care.
The democrat-communists certainly don't care.
Actually, NOBODY cares.

I've said it before and will say it again until folks finally grasp the concept:
The "deficit" will keep increasing until it can't increase any more.
No one knows when that will happen.
Could be sooner, could be later, could be a few decades off yet.
Nobody knows, and don't believe anyone who says they do.

Nobody knows what will eventually stop it from increasing.
It certainly won't be any effort by anyone in government to restrain it (see above).
This doesn't mean it won't stop, someday.
Of course it will stop, everything comes to an end, sooner or later.

So... the deficit will keep goin' up until it stops.
Then -- and ONLY then -- will something be done to address the problems.

What do we do until that happens....?
Well, like Peggy Lee sang:
Is that all there is?
Is that all there is?
Well, if that's all there is
Then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball...
If that's all...

As long as creditors have confidence we can pay them, it will continue. But, as you said, that won't last forever

Despite stimulus, QE, Operation Twist, our economy has been sluggish. Better than others, but still sluggish by American standards

I have a SIL who will argue for more spending, Universal Healthcare, ect ect. When asked if she knew what our debt was, no clue. I think most Americans are ignorant on economics and our fiscal situation simply because the news media doesn't talk about it. I guess ignorance is bliss
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

Unfortunately, that will continue under Trump. May not be as bad as BHO, but it will still rise
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
GOP Tax Bill Survival Kit:

Survival kit contents check. In them you will find one .45 caliber automatic, two boxes of ammunition, four days concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleepin' pills, tranquilizer pills, one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible, $100 dollars in rubles, $100 dollars in gold, nine packs of chewin' gum, one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pair of nylon stockin's.

Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline endicom

If this bill be prelude to spending cuts then it's good. If not then it's status quo and not good.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If this bill be prelude to spending cuts then it's good. If not then it's status quo and not good.

It depends on if you are speaking in Washington speak or actual English!  There may be some small amount of reductions in the rate of growth (a Washington speak cut) but never any real cuts as the rest of the world understands the word.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

GREAT charts!  VERY telling!

- J. R. R. Tolkien