Author Topic: SENATE PASSES REPUBLICAN TAX BILL IN HUGE WIN FOR TRUMP, GOP  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
SENATE PASSES REPUBLICAN TAX BILL IN HUGE WIN FOR TRUMP, GOP
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:07:07 am »
The Senate passed the Republican tax reform bill early Saturday in a massive win for the party and President Donald Trump, who has seen many of his agenda items stall in the legislature.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act passed on a vote of 51 to 49. Sen. Bob Corker was the only Republican to vote against the bill. Its passage brings Republicans a step closer to their first major legislative achievement in the Trump presidency.

The vote came just three weeks after Republicans introduced the original version. It came just hours after the text of the final version of the bill was released. GOP leaders moved the bill through the chamber at breakneck speed as they attempt to send legislation to Trump's desk by Christmas.

Read more at: http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tax-reform-passed-senate-vote-count-2017-12
The Republic is lost.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: SENATE PASSES REPUBLICAN TAX BILL IN HUGE WIN FOR TRUMP, GOP
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:44:00 pm »
Yea they passed it. But did anyone really know what they voted for or against? It was still being rewritten right up to the time of the vote. Pilosi wasn’t wrong after all...they have to pass it to find out what’s in it.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:49:12 pm »
Yea they passed it. But did anyone really know what they voted for or against? It was still being rewritten right up to the time of the vote. Pilosi wasn’t wrong after all...they have to pass it to find out what’s in it.

Cocker is Jeff Flake Light. A cheese gnawing Chump Rat. Sanfran Nan back in her glory days.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 01:49:57 pm »
Grouped by Home State
Alabama:  Shelby (R-AL), Yea  Strange (R-AL), Yea Alaska:  Murkowski (R-AK), Yea  Sullivan (R-AK), Yea Arizona:  Flake (R-AZ), Yea  McCain (R-AZ), Yea Arkansas:  Boozman (R-AR), Yea  Cotton (R-AR), Yea California:  Feinstein (D-CA), Nay  Harris (D-CA), Nay Colorado:  Bennet (D-CO), Nay  Gardner (R-CO), Yea Connecticut:  Blumenthal (D-CT), Nay  Murphy (D-CT), Nay Delaware:  Carper (D-DE), Nay  Coons (D-DE), Nay Florida:  Nelson (D-FL), Nay  Rubio (R-FL), Yea Georgia:  Isakson (R-GA), Yea  Perdue (R-GA), Yea Hawaii:  Hirono (D-HI), Nay  Schatz (D-HI), Nay Idaho:  Crapo (R-ID), Yea  Risch (R-ID), Yea Illinois:  Duckworth (D-IL), Nay  Durbin (D-IL), Nay Indiana:  Donnelly (D-IN), Nay  Young (R-IN), Yea Iowa:  Ernst (R-IA), Yea  Grassley (R-IA), Yea Kansas:  Moran (R-KS), Yea  Roberts (R-KS), Yea Kentucky:  McConnell (R-KY), Yea  Paul (R-KY), Yea Louisiana:  Cassidy (R-LA), Yea  Kennedy (R-LA), Yea Maine:  Collins (R-ME), Yea  King (I-ME), Nay Maryland:  Cardin (D-MD), Nay  Van Hollen (D-MD), Nay Massachusetts:  Markey (D-MA), Nay  Warren (D-MA), Nay Michigan:  Peters (D-MI), Nay  Stabenow (D-MI), Nay Minnesota:  Franken (D-MN), Nay  Klobuchar (D-MN), Nay Mississippi:  Cochran (R-MS), Yea  Wicker (R-MS), Yea Missouri:  Blunt (R-MO), Yea  McCaskill (D-MO), Nay Montana:  Daines (R-MT), Yea  Tester (D-MT), Nay Nebraska:  Fischer (R-NE), Yea  Sasse (R-NE), Yea Nevada:  Cortez Masto (D-NV), Nay  Heller (R-NV), Yea New Hampshire:  Hassan (D-NH), Nay  Shaheen (D-NH), Nay New Jersey:  Booker (D-NJ), Nay  Menendez (D-NJ), Nay New Mexico:  Heinrich (D-NM), Nay  Udall (D-NM), Nay New York:  Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay  Schumer (D-NY), Nay North Carolina:  Burr (R-NC), Yea  Tillis (R-NC), Yea North Dakota:  Heitkamp (D-ND), Nay  Hoeven (R-ND), Yea Ohio:  Brown (D-OH), Nay  Portman (R-OH), Yea Oklahoma:  Inhofe (R-OK), Yea  Lankford (R-OK), Yea Oregon:  Merkley (D-OR), Nay  Wyden (D-OR), Nay Pennsylvania:  Casey (D-PA), Nay  Toomey (R-PA), Yea Rhode Island:  Reed (D-RI), Nay  Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay South Carolina:  Graham (R-SC), Yea  Scott (R-SC), Yea South Dakota:  Rounds (R-SD), Yea  Thune (R-SD), Yea Tennessee:  Alexander (R-TN), Yea  Corker (R-TN), Nay Texas:  Cornyn (R-TX), Yea  Cruz (R-TX), Yea Utah:  Hatch (R-UT), Yea  Lee (R-UT), Yea Vermont:  Leahy (D-VT), Nay  Sanders (I-VT), Nay Virginia:  Kaine (D-VA), Nay  Warner (D-VA), Nay Washington:  Cantwell (D-WA), Nay  Murray (D-WA), Nay West Virginia:  Capito (R-WV), Yea  Manchin (D-WV), Nay Wisconsin:  Baldwin (D-WI), Nay  Johnson (R-WI), Yea Wyoming:  Barrasso (R-WY), Yea  Enzi (R-WY), Yea
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 02:02:37 pm »
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it now goes to the House and gets an up/down vote
or does it go to conference?

Since I bash Mitch a lot it is only fair I give Mitch an attaboy for getting this done.

Well done Mitch.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 03:08:54 pm »
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it now goes to the House and gets an up/down vote
or does it go to conference?

Since I bash Mitch a lot it is only fair I give Mitch an attaboy for getting this done.

Well done Mitch.
Goes to conference to iron out differences. But house conservatives said they can’t support Senate version.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 03:18:32 pm »
While there are undoubtedly some good things in this, most notably repeal of the Obamacare mandate, it is mostly just more inside the beltway smoke and mirrors.   Having said that, getting rid of that onerous and IMHO patently unconstitutional mandate alone makes it worth passing!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 03:27:07 pm »
"Huge win for Trump, GOP"? IIRC Obamacare passage was a "huge win for Obama, democrats". For Obama maybe, but we all know how it turned out for democrats...

---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:08:21 pm »

I think Ted Cruz knew what was in it, and he was for it.

We need another Senate Republican.  The dems and a few deranged members tried to take one Republican out before he was elected. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 06:45:22 pm »
I think Ted Cruz knew what was in it, and he was for it.

Thanks for some occasional common sense, here.

The bill results from the normal sausage making process of legislation. The final version for both the House and Senate to vote upon, will blend and combine elements of both versions.

Assuming they reach agreement, the President and the Congress will be able to claim they delivered promised

--Tax Cuts

--Obamacare Repeal

It is a very big Win, except of course for democrats and for die-hard #nevertrumpers who will go on endlessly picking at nits.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 07:14:50 pm »
Yeah, the Senate passed a bill.  Is the bar so low that that is a "huge win"?  We don't even know what is in it, not that it matters because it's not the final version anyway (assuming there is a final version, which is nowhere near a given).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 07:22:20 pm »

The bill results from the normal sausage making process of legislation. The final version for both the House and Senate to vote upon, will blend and combine elements of both versions.

Assuming they reach agreement, the President and the Congress will be able to claim they delivered promised

--Tax Cuts

--Obamacare Repeal

It is a very big Win, except of course for democrats and for die-hard #nevertrumpers who will go on endlessly picking at nits.

And a trillion dollar increase in the national debt.  So, other than the minor details, what’s the big difference between Trump and the democrats?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 07:24:01 pm »
And a trillion dollar increase in the national debt.  So, other than the minor details, what’s the big difference between Trump and the democrats?

I doubt the democrats would've put a repeal of the healthcare mandate in their bill.

And I'd be inclined to give a little of the blame to the GOP, too, for the ridiculous level of spending in Washington.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:27:52 pm by skeeter »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 07:37:31 pm »

The Beast is self-aware and unquenchable in thirst and hunger.

That said, if this is the only way we get a repeal of government mandating what we must purchase and regulating our healthcare via bureaucracy - I'm for it in the short term.

A direct impact to the positive for most of us who are not dependent on government, but have our wealth confiscated to keep it growing.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 07:40:12 pm »

I provided for you and your response as "democrats and die-hard #nevertrumpers" so thanks for following through.

So you stand firm in opposition with all democrats, and with Sen. Corker?

I stand with 51 Republican Senators, who voted Yeah.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 07:47:45 pm »
I provided for you and your response as "democrats and die-hard #nevertrumpers" so thanks for following through.

Awe man! That poor horse.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 07:56:58 pm »

You’d stand with Trump if he walked down the middle of Fifth Avenue shooting people, so whom you stand with is of little consequence. 

I stand with common sense and what used to be traditional republican principles, including that the national debt should not be gratuitously increased.  I see you do not.  So the similarity between me and the democrats is merely one of correlation, not one of substance, whereas you are in substance no better than a democrat because you’re willing to boost the national debt just so you can get some bill passed that has the label, but not the reality, of being tax reform. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 08:07:43 pm »
...boost the national debt just so you can get some bill passed that has the label, but not the reality, of being tax reform.

The precedent now being reality, that all bills are cynically labelled to do the opposite of that which they claim (i.e.: ACA/ObamaCare).

Just more proof that the Republican Party has learned how to deceive just as adeptly as the Democrats.

But I'll take a repeal of O'Care mandates, let them crow about it - and refuse to acknowledge that they provided any tax reform outside of serving their Masters on K Street.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »

Not because of this tax bill there won't be!  No way in hell and I don't care how many times the Joint Committee on Taxation says otherwise!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 01:47:23 am »
Goes to conference to iron out differences. But house conservatives said they can’t support Senate version.
The sausage making process of 'ironing out differences' is what is to b'e feared.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 01:51:59 am »
You’d stand with Trump if he walked down the middle of Fifth Avenue shooting people, so whom you stand with is of little consequence. 

I stand with common sense and what used to be traditional republican principles, including that the national debt should not be gratuitously increased.  I see you do not.  So the similarity between me and the democrats is merely one of correlation, not one of substance, whereas you are in substance no better than a democrat because you’re willing to boost the national debt just so you can get some bill passed that has the label, but not the reality, of being tax reform.
Laughable to believe that all of our ills are caused by placing more money in people's pockets, especially when the government is taking in record amounts of income.

Are you this so vociferous on cutting back on spending, which happens to be the real reason we are in debt up to our eyeballs?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 02:10:45 am »

--Tax Cuts

--Obamacare Repeal

Tax cuts? Not.  Obamacare repeal? Maybe
Only time will tell. I for one will not be payin* less under either plan.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 02:13:21 am »
Cutting taxes may increase or decrease the deficit.  No one knows one way or the other, and we will never know even in hind sight, way too many other things happen that effect the economy to single out one cause.

Cutting spending on the other hand can decrease the deficit.  That is one thing that is completely controllable.  Technically, we'd need to slightly redefine the concept of deficit/surplus to consider the difference between revenue in year N and spending in year N+1 (practically, N+2 might make more sense).  Whatever we take in in 2017 should be the limit of the 2018 budget (actually, the limit should be like 90% as long as we have a debt).

We can't control revenues.  We can control spending.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online libertybele

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 02:30:23 am »
Tax cuts? Not.  Obamacare repeal? Maybe
Only time will tell. I for one will not be payin* less under either plan.

It appears that we will be paying more as well. It's one thing to proclaim a GOP victory because of the tax bill, but unless a whole lot of people see some tax relief and we start seeing jobs coming back into this country and more people working this could very well be a curse for the GOP ... sort of like Bush's read my lips .. no new taxes.  You are correct time will certainly tell.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 05:45:09 am »
It appears that we will be paying more as well. It's one thing to proclaim a GOP victory because of the tax bill, but unless a whole lot of people see some tax relief and we start seeing jobs coming back into this country and more people working this could very well be a curse for the GOP ... sort of like Bush's read my lips .. no new taxes.  You are correct time will certainly tell.

I am glad the mandate is going away.  But not sure if we will see a cut or not.  When I read the numbers last time I thought it might be a benefit.  Nearly double the standard deduction.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.