Author Topic: Matt Lauer terminated from Today Show because of inappropriate behavior  (Read 28576 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Matt Lauer terminated from Today Show because of inappropriate behavior
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2017, 10:04:57 pm »
I have no interest in discussing the "traditional male response" with respect to any of the men on the forum save 1 or 2, and certainly none that have been involved in *this* discussion.  I find that kind of implied accusation highly unacceptable and distasteful; given some of my comments and tomfoolery this comment should make a big impression on you. 

And it doesn't mean that it did happen.

OK............... so you agree that there are "1 or 2" traditional male responders on this forum (not on this thread), but also agree that no one on this forum automatically sides with the women, but you find my "accusation" distasteful, but yours is OK??

Sorry if I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  There are "assumers" on both sides across the country, but only a few men on this forum on the "it's always the woman's fault" and no men or women on the "it's never the woman's fault," side.   That's your position, right??

Not sure I'm getting what you're trying to say, but I'll just assume it's my fault, and leave it at that......   :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2017, 10:37:11 pm »
OK............... so you agree that there are "1 or 2" traditional male responders on this forum (not on this thread), but also agree that no one on this forum automatically sides with the women, but you find my "accusation" distasteful, but yours is OK??

Sorry if I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  There are "assumers" on both sides across the country, but only a few men on this forum on the "it's always the woman's fault" and no men or women on the "it's never the woman's fault," side.   That's your position, right??

Not sure I'm getting what you're trying to say, but I'll just assume it's my fault, and leave it at that......   :shrug:

Not exactly.  I have no interest in making an across the board accusation of "typical male response" as it comes across to me in many, but not all, of your comments on this issue.  I find the men here, save the 1 or 2 that have already been alluded to, above reproach, and I will not speak about this issue in generalities because of that.  I have seen you previously comment on the relative of yours that works with abused women; it is my opinion that many of your comments on these recent issues are unduly influenced by that fact. 

My comments on "the 40 year old" article are spot on; I have no idea why anyone would have issue with them other than to make broad comments/accusations/generalities about Matt Lauer (that I don't necessarily disagree with) that have nothing to do with *that* article or my comments on *that* article and/or accuse me of supporting a rapist.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2017, 10:47:55 pm »
Jeff Zucker said he was shocked by sexual assault and harassment allegations against “Today” co-anchor Matt Lauer, labeling the charges “incredibly disturbing.”

“I’ve known Matt for 25 years and I didn’t know this Matt,” Zucker said at Business Insider’s Ignition conference on Thursday, adding, “It’s incredibly, incredibly heartbreaking.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/jeff-zucker-matt-lauer-today-1202626959/

Sounds like Jeff is feeling left out.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2017, 10:49:45 pm »
Jeff Zucker said he was shocked by sexual assault and harassment allegations against “Today” co-anchor Matt Lauer, labeling the charges “incredibly disturbing.”

“I’ve known Matt for 25 years and I didn’t know this Matt,” Zucker said at Business Insider’s Ignition conference on Thursday, adding, “It’s incredibly, incredibly heartbreaking.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/jeff-zucker-matt-lauer-today-1202626959/

Sounds like Jeff is feeling left out.

Gee I hope Jeff isn't planning on a career in the news biz. He just doesn't have a nose for it.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2017, 11:20:21 pm »
Ever since this story has been in the news, I keep thinking about how Rush used to purposely mispronounce his name.  I can hear it as clear as day!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2017, 12:08:39 am »
Not exactly.  I have no interest in making an across the board accusation of "typical male response" as it comes across to me in many, but not all, of your comments on this issue.  I find the men here, save the 1 or 2 that have already been alluded to, above reproach, and I will not speak about this issue in generalities because of that.  I have seen you previously comment on the relative of yours that works with abused women; it is my opinion that many of your comments on these recent issues are unduly influenced by that fact. 

My comments on "the 40 year old" article are spot on; I have no idea why anyone would have issue with them other than to make broad comments/accusations/generalities about Matt Lauer (that I don't necessarily disagree with) that have nothing to do with *that* article or my comments on *that* article and/or accuse me of supporting a rapist.

I don't disagree with you at all that the vast majority of men on this forum are above reproach, and if you have read anything other than that into my comments, you are looking for something that isn't there.   The worst I have seen here is unwarranted defensiveness, and actually more of that seems to be coming from you than most of them.  (They don't really need you to stick up for them, do they?  They're quite articulate on their own).

As for being "unduly influenced" by actual cases of actual women abused by actual men, whatever....  I deal in reality and the world as it is, and if that's a problem for you, so be it.

Most gentlemen, I think would lean toward my opinions, since they have been raised to respect women, and groping them is something that is just not done.   The men I've talked with about this subject are horrified by the behavior of powerful predators in the news these days.

Guys like Matt and John and Harvey, and Kevin and Donald disgust them.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2017, 12:11:43 am »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2017, 12:23:12 am »

@Frank Cannon

Frankie you know as well as I do Lauer will be back on the air at some point.  Just like Williams. Just like Rather.
Matt the Rat will check into a famous sex addiction rehab palace.  Spend about a half a day and check out miraculously cured and ready for duty.  He'll do the obligatory apology tour with stops on the View and a few other assorted and sundry TV shows.  He'll buy stock in Visine since hell be using copious amounts of it to be able to cry on cue.

Ah yes...Matt will be back.  You can make book on it.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #333 on: December 01, 2017, 12:28:31 am »
Ever since this story has been in the news, I keep thinking about how Rush used to purposely mispronounce his name.  I can hear it as clear as day!

LOL!  He said it with that Tom Brokaw swallowed "L."   Hilarious!

@EdJames

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2017, 12:32:05 am »

Ah yes...Matt will be back.  You can make book on it.

Depends on how rapey he felt in his office.

Offline edpc

« Reply #335 on: December 01, 2017, 12:38:13 am »
Depends on how rapey he felt in his office.

I think that book was already written.....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #336 on: December 01, 2017, 12:42:13 am »
I don't disagree with you at all that the vast majority of men on this forum are above reproach, and if you have read anything other than that into my comments, you are looking for something that isn't there.   The worst I have seen here is unwarranted defensiveness, and actually more of that seems to be coming from you than most of them.  (They don't really need you to stick up for them, do they?  They're quite articulate on their own).

As for being "unduly influenced" by actual cases of actual women abused by actual men, whatever....  I deal in reality and the world as it is, and if that's a problem for you, so be it.

Most gentlemen, I think would lean toward my opinions, since they have been raised to respect women, and groping them is something that is just not done.   The men I've talked with about this subject are horrified by the behavior of powerful predators in the news these days.

Guys like Matt and John and Harvey, and Kevin and Donald disgust them.

And now you're changing the subject.  Get a grip, I have said nothing about my "feelings" toward Matt or any other celebrity.  You suggesting that I believe what he or any of the other celebrities supposedly did is okay, or that I don't believe that women are really abused by men is pretty foul.

If I want to stick up for any man on this forum that is my business and in my mind has more to do with them than you.  I'm sick and bleep tired of the bash men nonsense that we see everywhere.  I bet a fair number of them here appreciate that I will speak up for them; if they don't that's okay, and if you don't I couldn't care less.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #337 on: December 01, 2017, 01:41:50 am »
And now you're changing the subject.  Get a grip, I have said nothing about my "feelings" toward Matt or any other celebrity.  You suggesting that I believe what he or any of the other celebrities supposedly did is okay, or that I don't believe that women are really abused by men is pretty foul.

If I want to stick up for any man on this forum that is my business and in my mind has more to do with them than you.  I'm sick and bleep tired of the bash men nonsense that we see everywhere.  I bet a fair number of them here appreciate that I will speak up for them; if they don't that's okay, and if you don't I couldn't care less.

Wow.  LOTS of anger and misinterpretation/twisting of many things in this post.

I was just coming back to say that I'm tired of this, aren't you? So let's quit...... But I see that you're pretty mad, so for that reason alone I'm asking for a truce.

Go back and re-read the things I've said without that "tired of man bashing" feeling you have and your odd defensiveness about your own feelings,  and you'll see that I never said what has made you so angry here.

Have a pleasant evening.   I certainly will.   :beer:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #338 on: December 01, 2017, 01:46:57 am »
The irony, of course, is that most of us agree that caddish behavior in the workplace is a destructive thing, and shouldn't be tolerated.    (Especially in the context of a power imbalance,  such as the President of the United States egging on an intern to use a cigar on herself on the Oval Office rug.)   

But what gets in the way is identity politics and unabashed partisanship.

The Dems should force Conyers to step down just as the Republicans should disavow Roy Moore.  But it won't happen.   

And the culture coarsens.

But I agree with Peggy Noonan.  It is time for the paradigm to change, at least in the workplace.   Private industry, certainly not Washington, will lead the way,  to arrive at a consensus that will allow the workplace to function given current cultural attitudes.   And jock culture just happens to be on the outs, and women are in the ascendancy.  That's fair, that's appropriate.   I wish we'd approach the resolution constructively, though,  and not give back all of the fun.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:48:41 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #339 on: December 01, 2017, 01:47:01 am »
Wow.  LOTS of anger and misinterpretation/twisting of many things in this post.

I was just coming back to say that I'm tired of this, aren't you? So let's quit...... But I see that you're pretty mad, so for that reason alone I'm asking for a truce.

Go back and re-read the things I've said without that "tired of man bashing" feeling you have and your odd defensiveness about your own feelings,  and you'll see that I never said what has made you so angry here.

Have a pleasant evening.   I certainly will.   :beer:

Dahling, you're reading me wrong.  There's no anger, just straight talk.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #340 on: December 01, 2017, 01:50:36 am »
Dahling, you're reading me wrong.  There's no anger, just straight talk.

Yeah.......  sure.  The words of love.

Peace.  888heartkitty

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #341 on: December 01, 2017, 01:55:12 am »
But I agree with Peggy Noonan.  It is time for the paradigm to change, at least in the workplace.   Private industry, certainly not Washington, will lead the way,  to arrive at a consensus that will allow the workplace to function given current cultural attitudes.   And jock culture just happens to be on the outs, and women are in the ascendancy.  That's fair, that's appropriate.   I wish we'd approach the resolution constructively, though,  and not give back all of the fun.

Welp, you just proved you've never seen the sunny side of the private sector.  They've been doing the Harassment Training and attendant cultural adjustments for better than 25 years.  If you knew that you would not have said the quoted paragraph.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #342 on: December 01, 2017, 02:00:33 am »
Welp, you just proved you've never seen the sunny side of the private sector.  They've been doing the Harassment Training and attendant cultural adjustments for better than 25 years.  If you knew that you would not have said the quoted paragraph.

I know I'm going to get a time out, but it's worth it - you have got to be the stupidest person on this forum.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

« Reply #343 on: December 01, 2017, 02:03:54 am »
I know I'm going to get a time out, but it's worth it - you have got to be the stupidest person on this forum.

Man.....I never win nuthin’.    :crying:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #344 on: December 01, 2017, 02:04:11 am »

Why would think that would get you a time out?  I'm not bothered by you proving, once again, what you believe.  I'll have you know I haven't clicked "Report" on you even one time.

Enjoy the place.  You're loved more than you know.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:14:11 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #345 on: December 01, 2017, 02:09:49 am »

I remember such training going back further than that. Whats happening in Hollywood and in DC in no way reflects whats happening in the private sector. Anyone who thinks it does has their head up their backside.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #346 on: December 01, 2017, 02:25:50 am »
I remember such training going back further than that. Whats happening in Hollywood and in DC in no way reflects whats happening in the private sector. Anyone who thinks it does has their head up their backside.

Or never worked the private sector because they're legal beagles and Beltway Whores that get their understanding of America from the Matt Lauer's and The View on TeeVee.

jock culture just happens to be on the outs, and women are in the ascendancy.  That's fair, that's appropriate. 

It will be fun to watch this feminized country go up against the Patriarchal Chinese and the Norks.  Maybe the females can file sexual abuse allegations against them when they hand us our lunch.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:26:34 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #347 on: December 01, 2017, 02:29:52 am »
Man.....I never win nuthin’.    :crying:

Tell me about it!  Man I'm going back to the losers corner.  Care to join me?   Cyber's not welcome anymore.  So it is stale donuts and instant coffee. :beer:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #348 on: December 01, 2017, 02:35:09 am »
Or never worked the private sector because they're legal beagles and Beltway Whores that get their understanding of America from the Matt Lauer's and The View on TeeVee.

It will be fun to watch this feminized country go up against the Patriarchal Chinese and the Norks.  Maybe the females can file sexual abuse allegations against them when they hand us our lunch.

You mean, it'll be fun if I'm watching from a safe distance with a 30-06 scoped in at the right distance.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #349 on: December 01, 2017, 02:36:13 am »
Tell me about it!  Man I'm going back to the losers corner.  Care to join me?   Cyber's not welcome anymore.  So it is stale donuts and instant coffee. :beer:

And just a little while ago it tasted like...Victory. 8888crybaby
I will NOT comply.