Author Topic: Elderly Couple Wrongfully Arrested When Their Hibiscus Plants Were Mistaken for Marijuana  (Read 587 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
An elderly couple from Buffalo Township in Pennsylvania was wrongly arrested for allegedly having marijuana plants on their property. Their Nationwide insurance agent reported them to the police.

Audrey and Edward Cramer said that on Sept. 20 police stormed their home, harassed them, took their plants, and arrested them while Audrey, was still partially undressed according to NBC affiliate WLWT.

But the dilemma for the police was that the plants were flowering hibiscus plants—not marijuana.

“I’m starting to understand why a lot of the public do not trust police officers,” Audrey Cramer said at a press conference. “I really feel like I’ve been smacked in the face with this, and no, I don’t think I’ll ever trust a police officer again.”

The couple filed a civil lawsuit on Thursday, Nov. 16, against Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co., Nationwide agent Jonathan Yeamans, Buffalo Township, and three of its police officers, according to Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/elderly-couple-wrongfully-arrested-when-their-hibiscus-plants-were-mistaken-for-marijuana_2360281.html
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

Hibiscus is a controlled substance in PA......at least it will be retroactively now that there is a big dollar lawsuit in the works.

Offline ConservativeGranny

Must be a new hybrid or the dumbest police officers ever. I've had lots of potted Hibiscus plants over the years and none of them had leaves that looked at all like the leaves on a Marijuana plant. A cop that can't ID a Marijuana plant?

Offline Frank Cannon

A cop that can't ID a Marijuana plant?

If you have ever experienced the local constabulary in PA, you'll find they wear velco shoes because they can't tie knots and helmets for their own safety. They're a fairly dim lot.

Online corbe

How could anyone, especially a cop, mistake this for pot?

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ConstitutionRose

There is a hardy variety that has leaves that somewhat resemble the pot plant.  Of course, the flowers are enormous and red and very much Hibiscus.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline RoosGirl

This story was posted previously and that article had a picture of the hibiscus and to my untrained eye I can see why someone would mistake it.  It doesn't have leaves like a normal hibiscus.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If you have ever experienced the local constabulary in PA, you'll find they wear velco shoes because they can't tie knots and helmets for their own safety. They're a fairly dim lot.

These cops prove your point.  Man are they and Nationwide Ins gonna pay big time.

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12960252-74/buffalo-township-couple-sues-township-insurance-company-claiming-false-arrest
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

It was green and in a pot.   Close enough
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.